.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast
Results 801 to 825 of 874

Thread: Thunder acquires Tyson Chandler from the Hornets {multi-merged reactions}

  1. #801
    Hollygrove 4 Life DroopyDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Too far from Home
    Posts
    3,885
    "Proven center"...

    Until TC got to N.O. and teamed up with CP3 EVERYBODY had labeled him as a bust. CP3 almost got TC into the all star game last year...

    now riddle me this... who will OKC use to bring this out of him? TC was a perfect fit in N.O. because he had a PG that could get him shots. There's not a "pass-1st" PG on OKC's roster.

    I think he'll be a good "role-player" for them... grab some boards... block some shots... but he won't reach the level where he was last season with OKC.

  2. #802
    Charter Member Contributor PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    21,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Saints Fan in A
    HH, it's a social club. You just don't understand.
    Enough of the smart remarks and taking pot shots at people and keep to the facts. It is not a social club at all, but these players need to feel management is committed. We need to be able to keep these type of players and attract others, so we do not want them with the mindset that all decisions are strictly financial (as they apparently have as their mindset now).

  3. #803
    2.5 left. CP3.....BOTTOM!!!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    340
    Cox could sponser the new CP3-Wilcox alley opp combo. The Wil-Cox Connection or the Wil-Cox Communication.
    I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.
    -Mitch Hedberg(R.I.P.)

    "Still here dancing with the Googrux King, we'll be drinking Big Whiskey while we dance and sing..."
    -R.I.P. LeRoi Moore(1961-2008)

  4. #804
    Charter Member Contributor PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    21,876
    Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg
    "Proven center"...

    Until TC got to N.O. and teamed up with CP3 EVERYBODY had labeled him as a bust. CP3 almost got TC into the all star game last year...

    now riddle me this... who will OKC use to bring this out of him? TC was a perfect fit in N.O. because he had a PG that could get him shots. There's not a "pass-1st" PG on OKC's roster.

    I think he'll be a good "role-player" for them... grab some boards... block some shots... but he won't reach the level where he was last season with OKC.
    I agree that TC's production will probably suffer with OKC (at least until Westbrook grows up and learns to play as a team player). However, it is not about what he does for OKC, it is what he meant to us. If Wilcox can come in and be a good defender and is able to play toe to toe with Duncan and Gasol/Bynum and the team is able to sign him after the season, then maybe everyone will forget about Tyson.

  5. #805
    Hollygrove 4 Life DroopyDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Too far from Home
    Posts
    3,885
    Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN
    I agree that TC's production will probably suffer with OKC (at least until Westbrook grows up and learns to play as a team player). However, it is not about what he does for OKC, it is what he meant to us. If Wilcox can come in and be a good defender and is able to play toe to toe with Duncan and Gasol/Bynum and the team is able to sign him after the season, then maybe everyone will forget about Tyson.

    I doubt they'll leave that all on Wilcox... now that we also have Jow Smith I think we'll be able to send more guys out and not lose much production... I think that's why I like the trade so much.

    Joe Smith can paly some defense... he's no "Camby", but he's a prideful guy that will get in there and do what he can. His offensive game is nice... he has a nice mid-range game (similar to D-West), and he has a nicee post game that he can use to score and he knows how to draw fouls.

    Wilcox plays the same game as Tyson... he runs the pick/roll and finished STRONG... but he also has a good 15-17 foot jumper. He's a monster on the glass too, and HE MAKES FREE THROWS.

    I think we'll be OK... its just for some reason.. after reading alot of posts in different threads... I get the feeling that SOME "fans" would rather see the team fail just to prove their point that we'll miss TC.

    I'm in the minority that believes this worked out great for us... maybe its because I'm just elated that we got Wilcox. I love the guy's game.

    I was reading about the other guy that we got from OKC, and he seems to be a Tyson "clone"... got this from another thread...

    What Hardin will be able to do in the pros is finish off pick-and-rolls, off-ball cuts, and by sealing his man on the block, utilizing his size and athletic ability in all three areas to make himself an easy target and a strong finisher. As for the rest of his offensive game, his mid-range jumper is very inconsistent and not very effective, and he’s not a great free-throw shooter either, finishing at 64% this season.

  6. #806
    Just add fans Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    35,313
    Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN
    We need to be able to keep these type of players and attract others, so we do not want them with the mindset that all decisions are strictly financial (as they apparently have as their mindset now).
    We didn't suddenly realize we were over the cap or in luxury tax hell. As George said, he was committed to doing what it took...including eating the luxury tax pill. Things didnt' work out. He would be foolish to sit on this team as it is and pay the luxury tax. He WILL do what it takes, but it takes more than one move to undo what you thought was THE right mix. If TC were healthy and productive...and dependable for a long term (the real story no one wants to accept or understand) Shinn wouldn't have made this move.

    If Chris or David don't understand that, they are stupid....and thats not the case...they are emotional. Like I've said a million times before, this lockeroom is a tight ship. Like the fans, I guess Chris, David and Byron are forgetting that this is a business.

  7. #807
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleven79
    George Shinn told everybody in the organization that if one bad comment about either Oklahoma City (in 2005/2006/2007) or New Orleans (2007/2008) was attributed in the press to ANY Hornets employee or player, he would be traded or fired.

    I heard that straight from the horse's mouth. Shinn actually takes CREDIT for this and wears it as a badge of honor. It's part of his "aww shucks I'm in this with ya'll" routine that he had going for so long in Charlotte. Everybody abided by that dictum until West and Scott broke free yesterday.

    Nobody included Byron Scott's quote, incidentally...

    "But I've been doing this for nine years, and this was the toughest one to handle. I know we as coaches are not supposed to be emotionally involved, but I've seen the development of that young man, and knowing what type of person he is made it very difficult."
    Gotta love Shinn!

  8. #808
    Fire Monty!! Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    13,941
    We have become the laughing stock of the NBA with this trade. So many teams are laughing at us right now. Just read this article, it sums up everything I believe.

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...tes/index.html

    It is clear that the team is not happy about the trade, and the rivals are happy. Dumb Dumb Dumb
    PelicansReport.com Sim League
    New Orleans Hornets General Manager

  9. #809
    Charter Member Contributor PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    21,876
    Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg
    Wilcox plays the same game as Tyson... he runs the pick/roll and finished STRONG... but he also has a good 15-17 foot jumper. He's a monster on the glass too, and HE MAKES FREE THROWS.
    Wilcox is not a good free throw shooter if I recall (probably similar to Tyson). I hope he succeeds as I want the Hornets to do well. I also hope he does well enough that we sign him to a 2-3 year deal at a reasonable price. If not, I am not sure where we get our center for next year from.

  10. #810
    I'll give it some time even if the media is ripping the Hornets for this move.

  11. #811
    Quote Originally Posted by Keewon
    Looks like the Hornets tried to unload Chandler to the Bulls for Gooden and Noah. It doesn't say if the Bulls rejected it or if the Hornets prefered the Thunder offer, my guess would the former since Chandler doesn't really bring a new dimension to their interior game, they seem to be looking for interior scoring hence the Bosh / Amaré rumors.

    I would have prefer that trade as well because even if Noah might not be the next big thing, he is alright, he is developping and we would have been able to keep him for at least the next 2 years because he is on his rookie contract. Unfortunately, it takes 2 willing teams to make a trade.

    http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...dler_to_bulls/
    That's the deal I wanted, but I'm content with what we accomplished...I'm looking ahead at the BIGGER picture!

  12. #812
    Le Chef Keewon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Back in France
    Posts
    2,244
    the bigger picture... yeah well it's not like we have any other choice but too accept it ! That said if our FO really thinks that Chandler's condition will be a chronic one, I guess I can accept that trade, better get rid of him before he ends up like Grant Hill in Orlando!

  13. #813

    Will this New Orleans Hornets trade, and future moves, square with Chris Paul?


  14. #814
    Just add fans Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    35,313
    Well...last week I was taking up for JD because of his understanding whats going on inside the Hornets. In this piece he thinks he nails the story but misses the real story. Yes, keeping Chris happy is an important part of this...but can you keep Chris happy with a 7-1 C who is watching from the bench and eating up 12M dollars of cap space and causing the team additional financial penalties in the process? JD is missing the real story (that comes BEFORE the CP matter)....which is uncommon for him.

  15. #815
    Fire Monty!! Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    13,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugeaux II
    DWest has never been on lockdown about what he "could" say. He just doesn't talk. I don't think anybody, anywhere, could tell him what to do or say, ever. It's just his nature to not comment. The fact that he did comment, and comment like he did, says a lot about how he feels. And I completely agree with the above about CP. Hopefully he was at least given all the information, even if what he would prefer wasn't what happened, he should be in the loop.
    I disagree with this statement. DWest strikes me as the type of guy that will say what is on his mind, if it needs to be said. He has been instructed too keep his mouth shut. I would bet.

  16. #816
    Quote Originally Posted by Thechosen1
    this is the loser mentality that is killing this team....how do u know we cant beat them? Our starting five healthy with tyson is probably the best in the league....CP3 is one of or if not the most competitive player in the NBA....he damn well wouldnt sit here and say. We cant beat this team or that team...Hes not like that...and to have that mentality around a player like this is causing him to think twice about this team...because too many people on this organization make comments like that...now im hearing people say Tyson was never gonna bounce back, when he was averaging a double double RIGHT before he got hurt...but no one notices that...or about our 21-11 record with him, and our under 500 record without him, This is why everyone is disappointed. We dont even get a chance to see what this team can do THIS YEAR, because of something that we have to worry about 3 years later?...How do you even know if CP3 is 100 percent by that time? God forbid he has a horrible injury, then what next? you throw away a chance for him to win a championship because of a business move?....If basketball was such a business, why are there small market teams? Why not just leave it to LA , miami, CLe, Chi, and Boston? The game is played to win, maybe most people dont understand that concept clearly, but its players like Chris Paul with a competitive nature that think that way...and throwing away a season for something really irrelevant to THESE TIMES AT THE MOMENT is not something hes impressed with, and I agree with him
    i stopped taking your post seriously after i read "when healthy we have the best Starting 5 in the league" that is absolute homerism at it's best.

    after hearing we didn't get any draft picks in return i thought the trade was very stupid. but it's been proven that Bower hasn't been able to pull off the good deals and always leaves us ion the short end of deals. with that being said i do think that the combination of Joe Smith and Wilcox will give us more production out of the 5 spot than at anytime Tyson wore a Hornets jersey. yes Tyson was presence in the middle, but teams didn't fear him cause he wasn't that great of a shot blocker ,most of his blocks came on help defense, something both Smith and Wilcox do well. Tyson for as athletic as people think he was did not have great lateral movement. something both of these guys posses.

    throughout your post you mentioned CP3, and he was the reason Tyson even became the type of player he was and he will be the reason these 2 guys perform at a high level. both guys have shown flashes throughout their career and it was all done with out a PG like Paul. he will no doubt raise the level of their games which will reflect greatly on the offensive end and help this team betetr cause they won't be essentially playing 4 on 5 on that end of the floor.

    fact of the matter is, this team is in Salary Cap hell and whether our owner is cheap or not, you cannot warrant paying a guy $12 mil a year when he's only scoring 8 PPG unless he's pulling down 20 RPG and is the defensive player of the year...... something Tyson is not
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."

  17. #817
    Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg
    I doubt they'll leave that all on Wilcox... now that we also have Jow Smith I think we'll be able to send more guys out and not lose much production... I think that's why I like the trade so much.

    Joe Smith can paly some defense... he's no "Camby", but he's a prideful guy that will get in there and do what he can. His offensive game is nice... he has a nice mid-range game (similar to D-West), and he has a nicee post game that he can use to score and he knows how to draw fouls.

    Wilcox plays the same game as Tyson... he runs the pick/roll and finished STRONG... but he also has a good 15-17 foot jumper. He's a monster on the glass too, and HE MAKES FREE THROWS.

    I think we'll be OK... its just for some reason.. after reading alot of posts in different threads... I get the feeling that SOME "fans" would rather see the team fail just to prove their point that we'll miss TC.

    I'm in the minority that believes this worked out great for us... maybe its because I'm just elated that we got Wilcox. I love the guy's game.

    I was reading about the other guy that we got from OKC, and he seems to be a Tyson "clone"... got this from another thread...

    great post
    i'm joining the minority with you. i've been hoping since we got CP3 that we could get Wilcox, dude was a beast when he was given the ball in spots he liked in college with Steve Blake as his PG. he is a guy who will defend and run the court and provide and offensive game well beyond TC

  18. #818
    This is disheartening.

  19. #819
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornets1
    Cox could sponser the new CP3-Wilcox alley opp combo. The Wil-Cox Connection or the Wil-Cox Communication.
    I like the former. Good work.

  20. #820
    All Star kidjock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sterling, VA
    Posts
    285
    What do you expect them to say? Are they going to go into the state's office and demand Jindal make the payments to Hornets so that we can sign some players? We are a small market team...deal with it.

  21. #821
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleven79
    This is because Wilcox is still on his rookie contract. He'll make nearly as much as Tyson next season and he's not CLOSE to being as good of a player.

    Tyson is underpaid, not overpaid. In fact, the only guys on our team who are overpaid are Peja, MoPete, and Posey. And only Peja is GROSSLY overpaid.

    CP3, David West, Tyson, Rasual are all underpaid vets.

  22. #822
    Quote Originally Posted by truck man
    i stopped taking your post seriously after i read "when healthy we have the best Starting 5 in the league" that is absolute homerism at it's best.

    after hearing we didn't get any draft picks in return i thought the trade was very stupid. but it's been proven that Bower hasn't been able to pull off the good deals and always leaves us ion the short end of deals. with that being said i do think that the combination of Joe Smith and Wilcox will give us more production out of the 5 spot than at anytime Tyson wore a Hornets jersey. yes Tyson was presence in the middle, but teams didn't fear him cause he wasn't that great of a shot blocker ,most of his blocks came on help defense, something both Smith and Wilcox do well. Tyson for as athletic as people think he was did not have great lateral movement. something both of these guys posses.

    throughout your post you mentioned CP3, and he was the reason Tyson even became the type of player he was and he will be the reason these 2 guys perform at a high level. both guys have shown flashes throughout their career and it was all done with out a PG like Paul. he will no doubt raise the level of their games which will reflect greatly on the offensive end and help this team betetr cause they won't be essentially playing 4 on 5 on that end of the floor.

    fact of the matter is, this team is in Salary Cap hell and whether our owner is cheap or not, you cannot warrant paying a guy $12 mil a year when he's only scoring 8 PPG unless he's pulling down 20 RPG and is the defensive player of the year...... something Tyson is not

    First of all if you arent gonna read the post, then dont quote it and make a mistake...because i didnt say the best...i said probably the best which isnt a "homer" opinion if you take the "Im too UN biased to make sense glasses off"....and go head to toe in the starting lineup WHEN HEALTHY and compare it to all the teams in the league...My point is pretty understandable, so if that screams homer to you..then allow me to scream self hater to you if you're gonna take it to that level...however to be mature and analyse your post....im sure wilcox would help, and im sure tyson was overpaid...but to make this move AT THIS POINT OF THE SEASON is not the way to go regardless if we save money or not...and to point out about Tyson, You cant teach 7 ft..you just cant, he is a center that can ALter shots, even when hes not trying to defend the paint if you say...he still alters shots by his presence...the numbers dont lie, when we are with him, we are 21 11, without him, we are what 10-10/11?...its what it is...I can go on a limb and say we wont be significantly better with this so called genius salary cut dump or whatever in the future, and CP3 wont be wanting to wait that long to see if this works...hes too competitive...its not just about the business..because you have to consider the PLAYERS who make this work...and if they arent happy, all this salary talk doesnt and wont matter period

  23. #823
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezwax
    I was there, I heard him say it. Opening night Shinn came center court and told the fan's thank you for the support and "we will do whatever it takes to win the NBA championship"

    Oh really George! You should have said " We will do whatever it takes to win a championship except pay the luxury tax"

    Way to go George, way to alienate all your new season ticket holders! It will be interesting to see what happens next year. Im still renewing but I have already talked to alot of people who are not renewing.
    We were not going to win a championship this year with the Cavs, Lakers, Spurs, and Celtics all having superior depth and overall talent. We could have gone to the conference finals and no further. Stop kidding yourself.

    This trade is part of what it takes to "win a championship." - A championship in the future.

    Holding onto Chandler's contract would have put the franchise's future in New Orleans in jeopardy. Small market teams have to operate within their financial means, like it or not.

    If you truly care about the Hornets, then, stop encouraging people to be pessimists with all of this doom and gloom talk and negative speculation of lower season ticket sales next year.

    Here are a few positives:

    1. This move along with the possibility of moving Peja's contract allows the Hornets to go after another big name in 2010. If this happens the Hornets could have 3 Allstar caliber players. Remind you of another team, i.e. Boston.

    2. The addition of Joe Smith and Chris Wilcox provide the Hornets with more front court depth and scoring options.

    3. Wilcox and Smith have both played in more games than Tyson this year.


    I wish Tyson the best in the future, but it is very possible that he peaked last year.

    Only time will tell us the value of this trade.

  24. #824
    Hollygrove 4 Life DroopyDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Too far from Home
    Posts
    3,885
    Chris and Tyson were real close... I think Chris's feelings run way beyond "basketball", and more to "losing a family member".

    CP will be delighted at what he gets... he gets 2 bigs... one that can run the pick/roll with him and not skip a beat, and another that can play pick/pop and nail that mid range jumper... as well as get some points down low.

    Tyson will be missed, but hey... its a business... call Shinn cheap or whatever, but this is a move that hd to be made. I hope they're not done dealing.

  25. #825
    Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg
    I doubt they'll leave that all on Wilcox... now that we also have Jow Smith I think we'll be able to send more guys out and not lose much production... I think that's why I like the trade so much.

    Joe Smith can paly some defense... he's no "Camby", but he's a prideful guy that will get in there and do what he can. His offensive game is nice... he has a nice mid-range game (similar to D-West), and he has a nicee post game that he can use to score and he knows how to draw fouls.

    Wilcox plays the same game as Tyson... he runs the pick/roll and finished STRONG... but he also has a good 15-17 foot jumper. He's a monster on the glass too, and HE MAKES FREE THROWS.

    I think we'll be OK... its just for some reason.. after reading alot of posts in different threads... I get the feeling that SOME "fans" would rather see the team fail just to prove their point that we'll miss TC.

    I'm in the minority that believes this worked out great for us... maybe its because I'm just elated that we got Wilcox. I love the guy's game.

    I was reading about the other guy that we got from OKC, and he seems to be a Tyson "clone"... got this from another thread...
    I agree with Truck Man. Great Post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •