Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Ike (Cat 2) --------EDIT:Now threating Texas

Banned
    Right about where they projected it to go yesterday. Straight For S.A. lol.

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    Maybe the Spurs should move to New Orleans.

Time for some football!!!

Cautiously Realistic! Contributor NOLA Brah!'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Hornet
    Maybe the Spurs should move to New Orleans.
    they could play at the lakefront areana.

I was thinking Girard or Johnny Brite.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by geaux hornets
    they could play at the lakefront areana.

I'll go watch the Spurs just to see Eva!

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    I was thinking Girard or Johnny Brite.

Who doesn't want to be a Falcon!

/used to play for the Johnny Bright Falcons traveling football and basketball teams.

Ike's still staying low in the Gulf and tracking to lower TX for a Saturday landfall.

There's high confidence in the 2 day track which puts Ike past LA.

Ike came off of Cuba and strengthened quickly to 95 mph, and then in the next advisory, fell back to 80 mph. Now it is sitting at 85 mph, but the next advisory is due out in 10 minutes. Let's hope this hurricane comes in at no greater than a Cat. 1

Ike's hanging at 90 and still targeting TX

This thing is now a Cat 2 and is moving NW. I don't like the movement. The easternmost model has this coming up Galveston Bay. I want to see more WNW movement of this storm, no disrespect intended towards Texas.

Banned
    This thing is now a Cat 2 and is moving NW. I don't like the movement. The easternmost model has this coming up Galveston Bay. I want to see more WNW movement of this storm, no disrespect intended towards Texas.

Chill out, we are not in the cone. Stay off those B.S. Weather Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrace Fan
    Chill out, we are not in the cone. Stay off those B.S. Weather Forums.
    Hey, dude, I didn't go to a weather forum to make my own personal observations. It's just an opinion, man, settle down.

Sadly, it's time to rebuild
    The eye is now forecast to get very close to Houston, with Houston being on the bad side of the storm.

Not much change in the latest advisory. Storm does not seem to be strengthening at this point, but that was the forecast. I am a bit unclear as to why these guys think the storm will become a Cat. 3 before landfall. It's running out of time to strengthen much more. Let's hope it doesn't intensify.

25 characters is not enoug Contributor ktulu909's Avatar
    Actually the storm is strengthening,just not in the typical fashion.What has happened is that the windfield has expanded and this is now a physically larger storm than Katrina was.The surge is also much greater than that of a typical category 2 storm as well.

Jeff Masters Blog explains it best.

"
    Hurricane Ike's winds remain at Category 2 strength, but Ike is a freak storm with extreme destructive storm surge potential. Ike's pressure fell rapidly last night to 944 mb, but the hurricane did not respond to the pressure change by increasing its maximum winds in the eyewall. Instead, Ike responded by increasing the velocity of its winds away from the eyewall, over a huge stretch of the Gulf of Mexico. Another very unusual feature of Ike is the fact that the surface winds are much slower than the winds being measured aloft by the Hurricane Hunters. Winds at the surface may only be at Category 1 strength, even though Ike has a central pressure characteristic of a Category 3 or 4 storm. This very unusual structure makes forecasting the future intensity of Ike nearly impossible. The possibilities range from a Category 1 storm at landfall--as predicted by the HWRF model--to a Category 4 storm at landfall, as predicted by the GFDL.

Ike is now larger than Katrina was, both in its radius of tropical storm force winds--275 miles--and in it radius of hurricane force winds--115 miles. For comparison, Katrina's tropical storm and hurricane force winds extended out 230 and 105 miles, respectively. Ike's huge wind field has put an extraordinarily large volume of ocean water in motion. When this swirling column of water hits the shallow waters of the Continental Shelf, it will be be forced up into a large storm surge which will probably rival the massive storm surge of Hurricane Carla of 1961. Carla was a Category 4 hurricane with 145 mph winds at landfall, and drove a 10 foot or higher storm surge to a 180-mile stretch of Texas coast. A maximum storm surge of 22 feet was recorded at Port Lavaca, Texas. Despite the fact that the center of Carla hit over 120 miles southwest of Houston, the hurricane drove a 15-foot storm surge into the bays along the south side of the city. I don't expect Ike will reach Category 4 strength, thus its maximum surge is not likely to reach the extreme values above 20 feet seen in Hurricane Carla. Like Carla, though, Ike will probably inundate a 180-mile stretch of Texas coast from Port O'Connor to just north of Galveston with a 10-15 foot storm surge. This will occur even if Ike is a Category 1 storm at landfall. The latest experimental storm surge forecast From NOAA's SLOSH model (Figure 1) shows a 10% chance that Ike's storm surge will exceed 15-21 feet at Galveston. The Galveston sea wall is 17 feet high, so it may get overtopped.

The rest can be read at http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/show.html

BTW,Im home.

Nice info. I wonder how strong that seawall is? I realize it was built in response to the 1900 hurricane that nearly wiped out Galveston. BTW, Katrina's storm surge was 27'-28', a true monster. By comparison, Camille came in at 185mph sustained winds or so and 20' surge.

That cone of error is narrowing on TX.

Last advisory had Ike moving more west than north.

Real windy in Houma right now.

25 characters is not enoug Contributor ktulu909's Avatar
    Just had a band come through pulling off siding that didnt go anywhere for Gustav.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ktulu909
    Just had a band come through pulling off siding that didnt go anywhere for Gustav.

Well so far we got garbage flying down our street probably because Jefferson Parish did not clean any of it up since Gustav.

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    All quiet in Houston....for now.

Well so far we got garbage flying down our street probably because Jefferson Parish did not clean any of it up since Gustav.

Same thing in St Tammany parish. We have tree debris flying all down the street.
    MJR

I am 32 Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Hornet
    All quiet in Houston....for now.
    good luck
    Fox sports new home for the hornets

No kidding. I'm so glad the Parish was rushing to clean up the Gustav debris in anticipation of Ike -

I am 32 Contributor

Lake Charles news (KPLC ch 7): mms://a560.l1058140497.c10581.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/560/10581/v0001/reflector:40497&at1=News+%2D+Live+Stream&vt1=l&h1=Live+Streaming+Coverage&d1=0

Thread Information