Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Ike (Cat 2) --------EDIT:Now threating Texas

Banned
    What happened to the front that was suppose to help us?

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    probably stalled out and may move back as a warm front. Either way, it could pull the storm towards it.

This map has changed. Yesterday, 4 models had this heading into or towards the central gulf. now some of the models seem to have it curling up off of the west side of Florida. All we can do is keep an eye.

Time for some football!!!

Still a fluid situation. The synoptic environment that will steer this storm next week is not yet clear. The front is very much a player. The only question is its strength. Some models have it stronger and pulling the storm to the north and recurving it. Some models have it weaker and not picking up the storm, only maybe enough to change the track to a more NW direction toward the central Gulf Coast.

Most of the analysis at the Gulf Coast Weather website indicate that models might be in agreement on a target landfall area by Monday/Tuesday.
    A football game can't stop hurricanes.

It can't fix levees.

Or rebuild houses.

But it can let a city know...

That it's a city once again.

Welcome back, New Orleans.

Buzz on Gulf Coast Weather is that the models are shifting west again and settling on a Louisiana landfall, especially the respected ensemble models the NHC uses to determine its forecast track. It is the belief over there that the NHC's 4pm advisory will shift the track more west, with Louisiana in the crosshairs for a Friday landfall.

Still 6 days out and plenty of time to watch and hope for changes.

But the environmental patterns are shaping up to include a very strong ridge that will push the storm west to the central gulf before the trough pulls it north.

Not a good scenario.

Terrible. What's the link to that site again?

http://stormboard.proboards79.com/

It is a message board. However, several of the regular posters are professional, non-television meteorologists (ndg, Wyatt Erminger, skysummit and a few others). Several others, including the owner, Zack Fradella, are meteorology students. Also, John Gumm (WWL alum), Brad Panovich (WWL alum), Laura Buchtel (current WWL) and Ron Smiley (current WDSU) post information over there.

There are a lot of "wishcasters" and panic-mongers. You really have to get a feel for who is making the post, because a lot of it is crap. But the raw data that they have available and post is very good. And the interpretation of it by those named above and how that will affect the NHC updates and tracks is very good.

Ultimately I use the NHC and official sources to make my evac decisions. But I can generally get a heads up on where things are trending on that site.

Ike now back to a C4 with winds approximately at 135 MPH at the 4PM CDT report.

Anything is Possible Who Dat033's Avatar
    If this storm comes our way, then half of the city will stay because they love it here and were very frustrated, like many, at Ray Nagin's apocalyptic speech prior to Hurricane Gustav. The other half will leave and never come back because they're tired of these storms. If Ike comes our way, it would be absolutely the worst case scenario for the city. People have already evacuated once this year and this is really getting old. I am frustrated and angry at all of this. It is nothing but a financial and emotional burden.

Nevertheless, continue to monitor this system. I'm afraid to say this, but we need to start preparing for a major storm, again.

Banned
    As of now I'm staying, I'm told central LA/MISS still has no power, so if I going to be miserable I will be miserable in my home. I have been camping before, I believe I can make it a week or so with no electricity. Add to that the Miss. State troopers don't know what they are doing! The people I have spoken too that stayed are glad they stayed. If our neighborhood teams up after the storm we should be fine..

DON'T GO TO B.R EITHER.!!!!!!!

It is really making a lot of people, including myself, wonder if it is worth living here or if it is time to just get the hell out of this city.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN
    It is really making a lot of people, including myself, wonder if it is worth living here or if it is time to just get the hell out of this city.
    I couln't agree more. That's what I've been saying this whole time.

Basketball Guru Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Who Dat033
    I couln't agree more. That's what I've been saying this whole time.
    It's concerning, but, I haven't wondered about leaving.

Banned
    Go west...You deal with earthquakes and experts say they are due for a big one. Go to the midwest deal with Tornados. Go to the North and northeast and you to contend with Blizzards.

Its mother nature, you can't escape it!

Basketball Guru Contributor
    Hurricanes are annoying---I'll say that, but, I'm really too big of a Saints and Hornets fan to leave.

Changes are on the way Pasta Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alon504
    Hurricanes are annoying---I'll say that, but, I'm really too big of a Saints and Hornets fan to leave.

true, I'll leave if they leave.
    NOLA Gothic

Quote Originally Posted by Terrace Fan
    Go west...You deal with earthquakes and experts say they are due for a big one. Go to the midwest deal with Tornados. Go to the North and northeast and you to contend with Blizzards.

Its mother nature, you can't escape it!
    True, but the chance of serious earthquakes, tornadoes, and blizzards is unlikely wherever you may live. Louisiana just seems to be a magnet for powerful hurricanes.

It's not even just the fact that we are a magnet for powerful hurricanes. Our government is so incapable of getting things done. We will be recovering from Katrina, Gustov, and probably Ike for the next 20 years.
    MJR

Well, the latest track takes it further west, somewhere near the TX/LA border with many of the models showing a westward turn maybe a 100 miles or so off the LA coast

Hope that is a trend and not just a pendulum shift in the models. It's frustrating when a series of model runs shifts one way, giving you hope, only to have them shift back six hours later. The models kinda did that while honing in on South Central LA with Gustav...back and forth....good and bad. Blah.

I'm telling myself that I'm going to check a few more sites about Ike, then I'm going to bed and will forget about it until after the Saints game tomorrow. I'm going to enjoy some football.

After that I'll check. And if it's still a credible threat, I'll work out some rough evac plans for mid-week.

Such is life in New Orleans....

I think government performed well during the evac. The doomsday message by Nagin was intended primarily for those refusing to leave the city. At the time of the statement, Gustav was a Cat. 4 that blew into Cuba with Max wind gusts at 212 mph. Now I challenge anyone to tell me that they would have rode that out here. No one predicted that the storm would weaken as it did upon leaving Cuba.

All that said, the return has been a bit more troublesome than the evacuation in terms of government and infrastructure. FEMA has been less than stellar - no surprise there. No other city has had to empty itself 2 times in 3 years, 3 if you count Rita as well. This could be the 2nd emptying of NOLA in 2 weeks. I can see why people would question whether it was worth it. But mother nature is what it is. It's no one's fault that these storms come our way. In the meantime, we have to get out of harm's way and hope the Federal government finally hears our pleas and does something about hurricane protection in South La.

I have relatives that tried makeing reservations for Ike to the hotels they were staying in for Gustov but they were all booked already. I don't know if I can take another evacuation or comming home to no power again. I was very lucky for this storm. I'm not ready to push my luck again.
    God Bless New Orleans and God Bless Louisiana.

This thing keeps getting pushed further and further west with each model run. I just hope that by the time they figure out whats going on, and predict the northern turn, it's already moved west enough to hit Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun_Hornet
    I have relatives that tried makeing reservations for Ike to the hotels they were staying in for Gustov but they were all booked already. I don't know if I can take another evacuation or comming home to no power again. I was very lucky for this storm. I'm not ready to push my luck again.
    Same here, the hotels are already booking up.

Is this thing on?
    20 hours in the car evacuating for Gustav. I don't have it in me to do that again.

3 models now have the storm hitting west of La. One model seems to aim for the La./Tx border, one model has it coming almost up Barataria Bay and the last model has it coming up Mobile/Pensacola.

Still to early to tell; still need to watch closely.

Thread Information