Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Ike (Cat 2) --------EDIT:Now threating Texas

25 characters is not enoug Contributor ktulu909's Avatar

Weather Hurricane Ike (Cat 2) --------EDIT:Now threating Texas

Anything is Possible Who Dat033's Avatar
    It's definately rapidly strengthening. When you look at the satellite, it looks even stronger than the NHC says it is. We still have plenty of time to watch this. It doesn't look like it'll have a big effect on the gulf coast at this point, but it's certainly something to watch and something to keep the weather enthusiasts occupied. Just keep an eye on it for now.

Well,Im in Austin right now and WAS going to leave Friday or Saturday.If this thing is projected to be in the middle of the GOM sometime next week,im waiting this one out as well.

Formerly "Rocket Man" groundpatty's Avatar
    according to weather.com, it is now a Cat 4

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man
    according to weather.com, it is now a Cat 4
    Yeah, and it took 6 hours to go from a Cat 1. to a Cat 4. UNREAL. Let's hope this thing doesn't get into the Gulf, but then that would be bad news for FLA or the Southeast. Seems like these tracks for Hanna and maybe Ike want to turn the storms up towards the Carolinas. I wonder if that High pressure system is still sitting over Florida or between us and Florida. If so, that should keep the storms away from us. We need to get through this hurricane season WITHOUT another storm. We have a good solid month to go of peak hurricane season.

Here's Ike's current tracking map. Notice how it gets caught up in the Bahamas after taking an early NW turn. If this map can hold, maybe it will follow Hanna and stay in the Atlantic.

Time for some football!!!

Banned
    Will not get in the gulf, says Carl Arrendono(WWL)

Quote Originally Posted by Terrace Fan
    While I appreciate the post,bob breck said katrina wasnt coming here until the last minute and gustav was going to pass to our east.

I have a hard time believing ANY meteorologist that wants to tell me where a storm will or wont be in 6-8 days.As long as there are models that put it in the gulf,I will watch it until it does not come here.

Banned

Totally off-base what the cone is showing TWC/Underground. Florida maybe getting both ends of this.

While that may be the case,the GFDL and HWRF models seem like they want to get this thing into the GOM.Those 2 models are 2 of the more reliable ones available.

I didnt post the Euro to state that it was what was going to happen,I just wanted folks to know that no matter who tells you what,these systems are impossible to predict with any certainty from as far out as this one is.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrace Fan
    He didn't exactly say that. He said it's not likely to get into the gulf, that a front heading for the east coast this weekend would pick it up and turn it north. He also said we need to watch it.

Not exactly "will not get in the gulf."
    A football game can't stop hurricanes.

It can't fix levees.

Or rebuild houses.

But it can let a city know...

That it's a city once again.

Welcome back, New Orleans.

Banned
    its a dude, we get the chick hurricanes, look out for josephine.

And in typical "chick" fashion,no offense HunnyB,Josephine cant seem to get her **** together.

Sadly, it's time to rebuild
    I think they just created those models to torture you guys.

Basketball Guru Contributor
    It should catch a cold front coming through our area and go up the
    East Coast. Even if it enters the GOM, it should still move East of here. At least that is what the guidance models are predicting and what local media is saying. I don't wish it on anyone, but, we don't need this system, AT ALL. Hopefully, in the next couple of weeks, we'll begin our fall pattern and get some fronts through here on a regular basis.

I'm hoping that fromt makes it in time - I'm not looking forward to doing this again and if it hits anywhere in the State, I don't know how those affected by Gustav are going to be able to handle this.

Banned
    Not leaving, I will grin and bear it if necessary. I've been camping before.

FL Keys, according to the Weather channel, will be evacuated this weekend. Tourists have to start exiting at 8 AM Sat.

I don't think anyone in Louisiana or Mississippi should consider themselves out of the threat of this.

Quote Originally Posted by ktulu909

I have to say that I can't believe this. I felt pretty confident that this storm would not enter the Gulf. Now almost all the models have it going in the Gulf. Goddammit.

Ah no, this doesn't look good.
    If it does hit NOLA, when would it be expected to hit?
    And what has happened to Hanna? Is that still a threat to NOLA?

Hanna is going up the East Coast. I think the long-term predictions still have this in the eastern Gulf, but we can plainly see that not all models agree with that. 4 models currently have this getting into or very near the central Gulf. I don't like that.

If it would hit NOLA, it appears it would be Thursday the 11th or Friday the 12th if you approximate the projections

Sigh.... as of right now...two tracks are going to the west, two tracks are hittin the florida panhandle and two are going straight for us......

I can't believe we might have to deal with another storm in 2 weeks. Just unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrbg20
    Sigh.... as of right now...two tracks are going to the west, two tracks are hittin the florida panhandle and two are going straight for us......

I can't believe we might have to deal with another storm in 2 weeks. Just unbelievable.
    2 Weeks???? try again.We would be looking at a week from today.

Well, I made my evacuation plans.

I'm not sure if it was posted here or on one of the weather boards I've been reading, but someone had a great idea that I wish I could do...be a reverse-snow bird. So many from the North come South during the harshest months of winter. I'd sure love to be able to spend August and most of September up North.

I hate hurricanes.

Thread Information