Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Gustav {merged}

Basketball Guru Contributor
    The mountains of Haiti have practically killed this system. It's been stuck in the mountains for 2 days now. They have elevations over 7,000 feet. I'm not sure this is more than an open wave tonight. The mountains may have killed the center of circulation. It's very hard to tell looking at satellite. We'll see what the NHC says at 10:00PM.

Banned
    That would be good news with the "High" coming in over the weekend or does that just delay the system?

Well, the 10pm advisory is out. Movement now WSW at 8 and winds down to 45mph. Took a bit of a jog to the SW.

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    I don't like the storm taking that jog. We need this storm to go over Cuba or head over to the Yucatan. You get that storm in the straight and it is not a nice scenario for us.

Time for some football!!!

I'm getting pissed. I'm really not in the mood for a hurricane. We're five days out...it's got to turn SOME, either way.

How big is this thing s'posed to be, like what category?

Quote Originally Posted by ljh707
    How big is this thing s'posed to be, like what category?
    The five day out forecast says Cat. 2 with 110 mph winds.

Quote Originally Posted by alon504
    I'm getting pissed. I'm really not in the mood for a hurricane. We're five days out...it's got to turn SOME, either way.
    It's not even on a line to NOLA. Take a look at the map and find SE Cuba. The thing will essentially be turning as it moves all the way up.

It is too early to tell exactly where it is going to land. All we can do is stay tuned and be prepared. Those in the cone should have plans, lists, and be prepared at home and for travel.

Banned
    there is another one that looks bigger behind it

Gustav's moving more westward and firing up

25 characters is not enoug Contributor ktulu909's Avatar
    I would like everyone to welcome Invest 96L to the party.How this could affect Gustavs path is not yet known.Located in the southern GOM in the Bay of Campeche

OG Hornets Fan - Est. 1988 TxAggie713's Avatar
    Hopefully it doesn't merge with Gustav and turn into that super storm from "The Day Before Tommorow"

Anything is Possible Who Dat033's Avatar
    According to the latest projected path, this system would go right over the loop current. And the loop current is just northeast of Cuba, just as the forecast path is projecting. The loop current is not part of the 5-day cone, though. It's in the short-term forecast. The loop current is not such a small area as well, which gives Gustav a very good chance of going over it. As you've probably been hearing, Katrina's rapid intensification occured because she went right over the loop current. Should Gustav go over the loop current, I can bet, with pretty good certainty, that the winds will be MUCH higher than the forecast of 115 mph.

This could end up being a very powerful storm. The thing is, I feel that we are much more prepared this time.
    Last edited by Who Dat033; 08-28-2008 at 05:36 PM.

Hmmm, the 11pm advisory has Gustav starting to track further west in the 5 day and getting here a bit quicker. Still not a good track for S. Lafourche, Terrebonne, Morgan City and Lafayette area, but better for us.

seeking a higher level Contributor Wingman's Avatar
    Nice weather page with Gustav and Hannah info...

http://www.plantitweb.com/ira/bmt-wth.htm

Please Please PLEASE just let this thing continue to turn west. I don't wanna wish harm on any one else, and hope NO ONE else gets hurt or killed from this storm. But please let it hit somewhere where there are no levees and above sea level. Louisiana and more specifically metro new orleans has just been through TOO much!
    Last edited by Korrbg20; 08-29-2008 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by say-what
    Hmmm, the 11pm advisory has Gustav starting to track further west in the 5 day and getting here a bit quicker. Still not a good track for S. Lafourche, Terrebonne, Morgan City and Lafayette area, but better for us.
    Well it won't be a direct hit, but meteorologist always say the east side is the worst side of the storm.

I'm not going to lie here---those models are looking pretty decisive for SE Louisiana. There are not many roque ones out there. We still have time to watch, wait, and see. Start you rosaries and prayers, now.

Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar
    I think those of us in BR are going to take the eye.. just my gut feeling, and has been all week.

I really think it's too early to freak out. Yesterday, you couldn't even buy water at the supermarkets in my area and gas stations only had the most expensive fuel. I'm not so sure I believed them on that one, but got some anyway.

UNO's been closed till next Thursday. Also premature imo, but hey, I'll take it.

Banned
    Plenty of water/batteries and gas(no lines) in Metairie right now. Take advantage and top of your gas tanks and get your needs while it is not that crowded. Also its been advised that evacuating to Galveston/Houston is not a good idea, Go North.

Banned
    While I'm at it, You know those Hurricane Hunters could cool the Gulf, drop some bags of ice in that water, as well as some Jagermeister and a couple of cases of BudLight.

My Dad left today. Roads are steady (heading to S'port), but not jam packed. A few idiots driving the highways, etc. if anyone leaves, don't forget to shut off your water main. He suffered some flooding during Katrina not because of rain or levees but because of a fallen tree busting a pipe in his house.

I am the GrooGrux King Contributor DenatureX's Avatar
    Everyone evacuating should probably turn on your gas and electric too.

I'm glad everybody is preparing for this storm. But let's hope this thing keep tracking west. SELA can't take another hurricane right now.

DO NOT GO TO HOUSTON or SW TEXAS! Houston seems to be in the bulls eye right now.

Keep headin, west GUSTAV!
    Dell Demps PLEASE get us some scorers!

Thread Information