Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jazz to wear retro-uniforms for opener

Jazz to wear retro-uniforms for opener

Well, it seems like everyone is going to make a big deal out of our season opener, even our former team.

Too bad we'll be sending the Jazz back to Utah singing the Blues.

Jazz Get Big Easy Opener
    Friday, July 19, 2002
    BY PHIL MILLER
    THE SALT LAKE TRIBUNE

Call it the NBA's way of easing the transition for New Orleans basketball fans: The city's basketball future will meet its past when the NBA returns to Louisiana this fall after a 23-year absence.

The Utah Jazz will open the 2002-03 season on Oct. 30 by welcoming the New Orleans Hornets to their new bayou home, the city the Jazz abandoned in 1979. New Orleans, which lured the Hornets away from Charlotte, last played host to a regular-season game on April 6, 1970, when Milwaukee beat the Jazz, 140-131, before a crowd of 4,006.

Basketball fans with long memories will even recognize the visitors' uniforms. "It'll be great. We'll wear the old Jazz uniforms down there, [with] all the different colors and stuff on them," said Jazz coach Jerry Sloan. "It'll be kind of neat to open down there. We might even wear them the whole year."

Well, probably not. The Jazz, who released their schedule on Thursday, will switch back to their current garb for the other 81 games, starting the next night in Atlanta.

I wish Utah would wear those ugly unis they now sport, instead of sticking our beloved purple green and gold in our face. It's as if they're saying "A ha, we have Jazz and you don't".

Or maybe it's just a tribute to the fans of N.O.

No I think you it had right at first, butter.

Banned
    So long as John Stockton doesn't re-don those thigh-high old-style purple shorts he wore back in the day, I'll live.

But I'm with both of you - it's a veritable slap in the face to us fans of the New Orleans Jazz.

Hmmm....I'm mixed. It will sure bring back some memories to see those old uni's trot out on the floor. But then again it will help me add a little bit of "ummph" to my booing because it will be a front-and-center reminder of losing the team 23 years ago.

Man-o-man...I'm going to be hoarse for a week after this one.
    A football game can't stop hurricanes.

It can't fix levees.

Or rebuild houses.

But it can let a city know...

That it's a city once again.

Welcome back, New Orleans.

Charter Member
    Those retro uni's may say "New Orleans Jazz" instead of "Utah Jazz". Now, before you laugh at me, consider last season's retro uniforms when the Lakers wore the old Minneapolis outfits that actually had the letter "M" for Minneapolis. Also, the Texas Rangers will go retro this year and sport the old Washington Senators unis, with a "W" on the cap and the word "Washington" across the chest.

I know that this is a tad far-fetched, and that the Utah Jazz probably won't go for it, but that would be a truly classy way to pay tribute to the city of New Orleans and the fans.
    telling it like it is -- akshun

I'd bet a dollar to a dount that there is some kind of ceremony planned to honor Pistol Pete. Makes all the sense in the world while the Jazz franchise and Hot Rod Hundley are here to tip off the NBAs return to NOLA.

I think this is great. Having the Jazz here wearing the old unis will finally give us the chance to close the book on that chapter and bury the past. Here's looking to the future.

I didn't really think too much about this when I first read it at 6 in the morning, but yeah, there are going to be some mixed feelings about this.

In any event, no matter what uniforms the Jazz wear, there will be mixed feelings.

No idea whether the uniforms will include Utah, New Orleans or just sport a city-less Jazz logo. I would think that if they are going to the trouble to do retro to reintroduce us to the NBA that it will be authentic to the last uniforms worn by the Jazz, so I would imagine they would say New Orleans.

Truthfully, I don't view that as a slap in the face. Too much time has gone by and Battistone's long gone. If he were still involved, I wouldn't hesitate to think that there was ill will behind the uniforms.

But in this case, since the league knew the Jazz would have to open on the road, I think the league took steps to have the Jazz open in New Orleans and wear the retro uniforms as a way to celebrate our return to the NBA.
    Last edited by say-what-x; 07-19-2002 at 10:10 AM.

We couldn't come close to the NBA for 23 years. Now it sounds like two teams might be wearing New Orleans unis (for one game at least). How ironic is that.

You know, I am not sure the old road uniforms said New Orleans or not.

The old home uni's definitely did not. This is a pic of Pistol in N.O.

Now the old Utah homes say Utah:

I think you're right ours didn't have N.O. on them, say-what. It can say Utah. I'm ok with that. It will be nice to see those unis again. Ya'll are getting me pumped up for this game. Its going to be great. I can't wait. Three months is not that far off really. By the time we get into Saints season a little it will be time to tip off for this game.

Great shot of the Pistol, say-what.

Gets me even more juiced for October 30.

The Franchise
    Originally posted by Harvey Hornet
    I'd bet a dollar to a dount that there is some kind of ceremony planned to honor Pistol Pete. Makes all the sense in the world while the Jazz franchise and Hot Rod Hundley are here to tip off the NBAs return to NOLA.
    Harvey, it would be the bomb if they did that. Man, I don't have DIRECTV, but I've got to see this game! I've gotta be real with you, I'm a little envious having to be here on the west coast when this matchup takes place. Would love just to feel the electricity of the city. Man!!

BTW, there's a book called "I Remember Pete Maravich" by author Mike Towle with Cumberland House publishers, which is a chronicle of Pete's life, but more than that.

It's based on personal recollections of the Pistol by people and players who knew him. It touches on his boyhood days growing up in North Carolina with his dad coaching there; to his decision to go to LSU and all the "madness" there; basketball in the South; through his pro days with Atlanta and of course, the Jazz; noting that he was the pioneer of what we call Showtime in the NBA; his relationship with his dad; his conversion to Christ, and on and on. It's one big history lesson.

I guarantee you one thing; if you read this book, it will make you so much MORE pumped for that opener on the 30th of October (as hard as that may be to believe), you won't be able to stand yourself. I'm getting chills just thinking about it, and I'm 3,000 miles away. If you're a big Pistol fan, no doubt about it, this is a must read for you.

Spongey, maybe you can post this as a sticky for anyone who may be interested. Thanx
    HANGIN' IN THE PELICANS ROOST!!

Excellent....23 years of frustration officially ends with the trouncing of the UTAH Jazz. I hope this game is nationally shown.....

The Franchise
    We couldn't come close to the NBA for 23 years. Now it sounds like two teams might be wearing New Orleans unis (for one game at least). How ironic is that.
    Hey Harvey, you just said it all. I'll take that dilema any day of the week. The more exposure we can get, the better. Any way the league wants to bring positive attention to our city, I'm all for it.

I hope so. Where are you going to get a whole dollar?

I have mixed feelings about the retro unis. I want to boo the heck out of the Jazz, but it will be tougher seeing our old unis. It will probably bring back many memories. What a fun game that will be. I cannot wait!!!!!!!

The Franchise
    Originally posted by say-what
    This is a pic of Pistol in N.O.

Say-what! Thanks for the picture. It's sweeeet!! It brings back a LOT of memories.
    Last edited by RENFO; 07-19-2002 at 11:38 AM.

MVF (Most Valuable Fan)
    I have an Idea. How about during every brake during the first game we play Jazz music so the Utah Jazz can hear what they actully represent.

Rookie
    Originally posted by RENFO

Say-what! Thanks for the picture. It's sweeeet!! It brings back a LOT of memories.
    WOO HOO!! The JAZZ are coming back to New Orleans!! It will be surreal! I still have an old JAZZ MARAVICH jersey. I might wear it that night only. My BD is on the way. He better sign that extension! The game's the night before Haloween! It will be INSANE in the Arena!!! Go early & PARTY!PARTY!PARTY!!!(I'm starting this weekend)
    MuthaRoux

Originally posted by Cory1079
    I have an Idea. How about during every brake during the first game we play Jazz music so the Utah Jazz can hear what they actully represent.
    I like it!

Originally posted by teepo2
    WOO HOO!! The JAZZ are coming back to New Orleans!! It will be surreal! I still have an old JAZZ MARAVICH jersey. I might wear it that night only.
    What a GREAT time to wear it!

Originally posted by Cory1079
    I have an Idea. How about during every break during the first game we play Jazz music so the Utah Jazz can hear what they actully represent.
    Isn't that the truth? They will never let go though, the Jazz has too much history in Utah. Its a shame, because it is such a perfect name for our team.

Long off season Contributor killah's Avatar
    I hope the score board will say New Orleans v New Orleans too, just for kicks

Thread Information