Pelicans Report

Thread: From the Baron Davis Press Conference

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar

From the Baron Davis Press Conference

This is from www.wwltv.com and contains comments made by BD today in regards to his contract extension. I am satisfied with his comments. He seems to be surprised that NOLA is as full of life as it is. I thoroughly agree with him that he can find what he is looking for in this "small city." New Orleans clearly has a big-city feel to it, IMHO, but it is an island unto itself!

Hornets Sign Baron Davis to Long Term Deal
    07/30/2002

WWLTV.com

WWL-TV
    Baron Davis
    Baron Davis signed a long-term deal with the New Orleans Hornets Tuesday, ending speculation that he might opt for a move to a larger market.

Terms of the contract weren’t released by the team, but the deal is believed to be for about six years and about $84 million.

“Ownership stepped up and made a terrific long-term commitment to the city of New Orleans by signing one of the brightest young stars in the league,” said Bob Bass, the Hornets Executive Vice-President of Basketball Operations.

Hornets Forum
    Discuss the Baron Davis Deal
    Davis, who said he had never been to the city prior to coming for this year’s Essence Festival, said there were two main factors that prompted him to sign: One was a chance for a championship with a seasoned team, the other was the friendly atmosphere he found in the city.

“The vibe here was great,” he said. I brought a lot of my family and friends here and they helped me with the decision. They told me that it may be a small city, but the people here love basketball.”

Davis said his main concern in waiting to make a deal was that he figured a long-term deal would be the biggest of his life. He said that in the end, his best chance for a title would come in the Crescent City.

“This is the best move for me,” he said. “I’m on a playoff team, a team that I’ve been with since my rookie year and with a coach I’ve known since my rookie year. This was the biggest decision of my life. I know I made the right decision.”

Davis was set to make nearly $4 million next season. Last season, he averaged just over 18 points, 8.5 assists and guided the team to a playoff berth.

Thanks WCH. If you haven't heard the Dan Patrick interview check it out at ESPN.com.

I'd actually like to do that. Do you have a link? Thanks.

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2002/0730/1411824.html

I hope I beat the link busturd.

Look on the right for the link once inside.

thats good news

Originally posted by CC_Hornet
    http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2002/0730/1411824.html

I hope I beat the link busturd.

Look on the right for the link once inside.
    yeah you bustard, you beat me.

But only because I don't have a sound card in my machine at wor.....er the public library. So I wasn't looking for it.

Banned
    You beat him, all right.

Why they had to bring up a name change is beyond me. Sheesh!

Welcome to the board, BD4_3! You came here at the right time.

Banned
    Originally posted by say-what

But only because I don't have a sound card in my machine at wor.....er the public library. So I wasn't looking for it.
    Excuses are like string... every yo-yo has one.

Originally posted by COCajun
    You beat him, all right.

Hey its ESPN, besides all their names sucked anyway. We all know Neonights would probably win if we had to change it anyway.

Banned
    Oh God. Don't get me started with Neonights.

Yep, Baron's life is more important than the Raiderettes. Won't argue that.

But the Saintsations... well that's another story altogether.

Originally posted by COCajun
    You beat him, all right.

I can say one thing. HH is going to love it when he hears the name BD likes.

Pistols!!! I know I couldn't have been the first to say it or think of it, but I don't remember hearing or reading it anywhere else either!!!

Banned
    Selective amnesia, Harvey... selective amnesia.

I will leak the news that you guys are not hearing from anyone else. I get this from a very dependable source...

Baron was not sure what to do. 84 million is a lot to turn down. He really yearned to play in LA. The Clips, Cavs and Hornets nearly completed a three way deal last night which would have sent BD to LA when at the very last minute, the Hornets threw a Harvey Hornet autographed bobblehead into the deal. Baron couldn't pass on the Harvey bobblehead and took the money too. When the Hornets backed out, the Cavs and Clips completed their Miller for Miles deal and Baron flew to New Orleans to pick up his Harvey signed bobble head and sign the deal.
    Last edited by Harvey Hornet-x; 07-30-2002 at 05:55 PM.

You better get spell check: it's BUSTURD ! You are hereby annointed the link busturd . You gotta problem with that?

Originally posted by West Coast Hornet

You better get spell check: it's BUSTURD ! You are hereby annointed the link busturd . You gotta problem with that?
    Eh coullion, :999999991 you talkin' to me? Problem......you're the one with the problem now.

Why I ought to :231311: :231311:

Ahem....never mind....no problem here.

Eh coullion, :999999991 you talkin' to me? Problem......you're the one with the problem now.

Why I ought to :231311: :231311:

Ahem....never mind....no problem here.
    Ok, if you really want a name change, we could consider BusTERD ! Let me know and I'll make the arrangements as necessary!

Thread Information