Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Let's create a buzz for this new floor design (images included)

Let's create a buzz for this new floor design (images included)

I have designed a basketball floor specifically for the New Orleans Hornets. This new floor will generate recognition for the Hornets comparable to the Boston Celtics' world-famous parquet floor. In the shape of wood hexagons, this parquet Honeycomb Floor (U.S. Patent DES. 433,164) is unique to ONLY the New Orleans Hornets.

Personnel from the Hornets, including Mr. Ray Wooldridge, have seen - and have liked - the Honeycomb Floor concept drawings, as have personnel from the NBA and the New Orleans Arena. In order to make this floor a reality, the Hornets have to formally present this design to the NBA and the NBA would need to approve the design. (Obviously if the logo and colors are tweaked, the Honeycomb Floor design would be tweaked to match.)

Another unique feature, the "Honeycomb Ownership Program," would give diehard New Orleans Hornets' Fans the opportunity to actually own a piece of what undoubtedly will become the best branded and most recognizable floor in the NBA.

Let's all create the BUZZ needed to make this floor happen for the 2002 inaugural season in New Orleans!

Chuck Spina
    chuckspina@attbi.com

Click here for the high resolution image (391kb)

Click here for the high resolution image (296kb)

I think it is an awsome idea. Just the other night a few of us kicked some ideas about the floor around. A parquet floor seemed to be a popular idea. This one would be unique while still drawing on a retro look. Lets do it!!!

I love the court design idea and what it does for the NEW ORLEANS Hornets. It gives the team sort of a new idenity at home while not conforming to the norm, as far as (NBA) gym floors go. I guess we can start the push by letting the NBA know how we feel about the design, by way of the internet through e-mail. If there are any other ways we can help create a "BUZZ" for this floor idea please let us know.

NBA e-mail address
    http://www.nba.com/email_us/letters_to_nba.html

PEACE and
    Last edited by JPL; 07-15-2002 at 04:00 AM.

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    I like the honeycomb floor design and I hope they go with it.

cant you guess ... opps relocated to hawks country, (at least i know it is one team the bobcats SHOULD beat-lol
    Hmmmm....
    Registered in 1998 but never used. Could it be they knew along they would not be staying in Charlotte? Oh no, could not be - that was before the referrendum.

Banned
    I love it!

Sure will be a pleasure to see the Honeybees swarm all over it.

Charter Member    Contributor   

Wow!

Awesome idea! That court is beautiful.

I'm just worried about the fact that the City has a finite amount of dollars to finish out the arena to the NBA/Hornets specifications, and this floor would certainly cost more than than the standard floor they've already allowed for. If this is the case, perhaps that Hornets or the City can kick in a few extra bucks to make this happen.

(To Nagin, Shinn, Wooldridge, and Foster): HONEYCOMB FLOOR! HONEYCOMB FLOOR! HONEYCOMB FLOOR! HONEYCOMB FLOOR!........
    telling it like it is -- akshun

I like it alot. If only we could sell some naming rights, they would have their name in either end of the court. Also, they could put New Orleans Hornets across the two sides of the court. I love the floor plan. Great idea Mr. Spina.

its pretty but its kind of plain, i hope the can make the Hornet in half court bigger and the words a lil fancy, my 2 cents
    DDD! DDD! DDD!

that floor is fabulous. i think the hornet, and just the hornet itself should be used at half court. no circles around it, no wording, just the hornet.

actually abbie......relocation has been on the mind of shinn for quite some time...i believe as early as 95-96.....there were always small talks about moving the team but shinn was always worried the nba would reject his application due to it not even being 10 years in the arena. There was a similar floor design that was going to be implemented but when the nba included the new lines inside of the free throw line it kind of threw that off. Its nice to see that kinda floor be tossed out as an idea....i see no reason why the nba would reject it.....cuz its pretty spiffy

THE HORNET AT HALF COURT NEED TO BE BIGGER, but it looks good though

The floor looks great. What's the possibility of us starting some sort of online petition or something? We need to stay involved with the team and let the league know what we think.

cant you guess ... opps relocated to hawks country, (at least i know it is one team the bobcats SHOULD beat-lol
    Actully shy...I know that. It just hit me wrong first thing this morning and I had not had my coffee yet. Just a little sarcasim. I am awake now though-lol

How long does it take to create the actual floor, once you have a design?

...we get to go McDonalds
    That looks damn good to me.

As long as there's no big basketball in the free throw area, I'll probably be fine with it.

Failure is always an option Contributor
    Approved!!! MAKE IT SO!!!

*The Original Get Buzzin* GetBuzzin's Avatar
    Most people on this board may not be old enough to remember or were not born yet, however, in the early '70s artificial turf was installed at Tulane Stadium because the N.F.L. wanted artificial turf for Super Bowls. The City of New Orleans did not have enough money to do the job. Therefore, a drive to collect money was started. Certificate were issued for one square foot at $4.00 each. When Tulane Stadium was torn down, those who had certificate could get their one square foot of artificial turf.

The certificate was a novelty but we had fun just being able to say we owned a portion of the field.

Maybe the Hornets could do the same!

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Getbuzzin, that is a great idea. And a good way to get people interested. I really like the Honeycomb court design, b/c there isn't a whole lot of new things you can do to a basketball court to change it, that doesn't include paint. It is a real design element, that relects the team and hasn't been done before (unless it has been done in college, but I've never seen it before).

Maybe it's just me, but I still don't see what a honeycomb has to do with a Hornet (in fact I still don't get all the bee references)

But that aside, it doesn't look bad.

I wonder how much a piece of the floor would cost?

Originally posted by say-what
    Maybe it's just me, but I still don't see what a honeycomb has to do with a Hornet (in fact I still don't get all the bee references)

But that aside, it doesn't look bad.

I wonder how much a piece of the floor would cost?
    Technically, Hornets live in nests not honeycombs. So, many people who see the court could laugh at the design when they think about it.

Yeah but Hornet's nests still have a honeycomb look from below. Most people get the idea anyway. I like it and it differentiates us from other NBA teams. How much does it cost and how would it be paid for are the more important questions in my mind?

actually the honeycomb idea would fit well with a hornet......since most of you wont know this or have just found out...the hornets use to have a honeycomb inside of the free throw box but once the charge lines had to be drawn inside of the box, the honeycombs had to be removed due to its obstruction of the charge lines.......it was beautiful though while it was up.....i miss it :tears:

Travis Bickle Contributor cab694's Avatar
    Originally posted by CC_Hornet
    Yeah but Hornet's nests still have a honeycomb look from below. Most people get the idea anyway. I like it and it differentiates us from other NBA teams. How much does it cost and how would it be paid for are the more important questions in my mind?
    The floor looks GREAT! C'mon, if Charlotte could call their arena the HIVE, which had nothing to do with Hornets, a honeycomb floor should be FINE! "Honeycomb, Won't cha be my Baby, Honeycomb, be mine own...."

Chairman Of The Bored

"I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous." -cab694

I love it!!!!!
    Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls,
    There stands our dear old Alma Mater who to us recalls
    Fond memories that waken in our hearts a tender glow
    And make us happy for the love that we have learned to know.

All praise to thee, our Alma Mater, molder of mankind.
    May greater glory, love unending, be forever thine.
    Our worth in life will be thy worth, we pray to keep it true,
    And may thy spirit live in us... forever, L-S-U.

Thread Information