Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Uh oh? New York Times Reports - Davis Likely to Refuse Hornets' Offer

Originally posted by HORNETSFAN

Any idea what the reason for that is?
    Mostly out of respect for the player I think. I would guess that the union fought for it. It would suck having to pack up and bail all the time. Since the beginning of the season and the trade deadline are less than 120 days apart, this guarantees a player that he will play for no more than 2 teams during the course of a season. I can't recall exactly who but there was a guy who got traded like 3 times in one year so he wound up playing for 4 teams. That has to suck sort of. I know Sam Cassell was dealt from Houston to Phoenix in the offseason in the Barkley deal. He then got traded in December to Dallas in the Jason Kidd deal and then got dealt to New Jersey at the deadline in the deal that brought Shawn Bradley to Dallas. This was before the recent collective bargaining agreement.

OP ED

I really expected that of all the budding stars on the Clips, Band would be the on Sterling felt he had to give the max contract. But this is Sterling and the Clips. With the rumored dealus interuptus -- apparently because he couldn't bear to part with Odom -- on draft night, the drafting of two 4's no one seems to have a whole lot of interest in, and the public statement that he would not offer Brand the max, it looks like the Clips may have put themselves into a situation where they have to sacrifice Brand to get the PG they covet and keep all the other players theywant.

Personally, I don't get it. I dont think too much of Odom, and with Miles and Maggette at the 3, Odom would hardly be missed. He's a great handling and pretty good passing 3 whoi s really not fast or explosive enough to go over or by defenders. Plus the wrist injury. Brand is a consistent workhorse who gives you 20 & 10 nightly. Plus he has a developing post game that forces double teams. His addition was definitely the key to the Clips improvement last year.

That said, and it looks like Brand might be available -- if he helps the clips get the PG they covet. Why not offer Baron for Brand? Do a sign and trade where they both get the max. Maybe have them send us some point guard help in exchange for Elden Campbell or PJ?

I love Baron's game. And he's perfect for the Hornets. He provides full court defense, playmaking, scoring, and outside shooting. I think he's way better than Andre Miller- who is a great pure point, but not nearly the scorer or physical presence all over the cout. He's not a superstar like Baron and he's not worth 25% of a team's salary -- not a team that wants to win it all and avoid the luxury tax.

I hope I'm wrong, I hope Baron sees the offer and decides to forget his dislike of the owners/organization, and go for the sure cash. But this rumor of the draft night deal makes me think the Hornets brass knows they can't resign Baron and something is in the works.

If we're forced to part wit Baron, you should try to get another young superstar in the making -- and that is Brand. I know he doesn't fill the PG void, but he is the type of guy who can change the course for your franchise long term. Like Karl Malone did for Utah. Miller is a short sighted quik fix.

Put Brand out there with Magliore, Mash, Alexander, and a solid PG like Jeff Mginnis (clips free agent) or Kenyon dooling (clips), and you probably still get to the second round in the East. Plus you have a guy who can be the centerpiece for a long time. Of course I'd rather have Baron as my centerpiece.

Great first post Big Fan. The only thing I question is Baron wanting to leave because of the owners/organization. I don't think that is it. I don't think it is New Orleans either. His agent has convinced him that being in a very large market like LA, NY or Chicago would be great for his career. It can't be about the money, if so, he would take it here. It can't be about grandma, or he would say LA or else. Why Chi and NY? It is about an agent poluting a young guys head with everything outside of basketball being the goal. Baron, play basketball and make a ton of money in New Orleans. Win a championship here and you will get the attention outside the arena you are looking for.

Welcome aboard Big Fan.

I agree with you on the Baron motivation issue. No doubt he would make more in LA/NY. Its probably really about the money and he's just using the ownership issue as a cover for blatant greed -- so as not to ruin his endorsement potential. sick. and i still want him to stay. thats sick too.

Really, the more I think about it, the more sense the Brand trade makes. The Hornets have shown ability to get good talent when the trade away big money superstar players. Thisone's a little different because they can make it look good by offering him the max and then still looking like heros for getting another all star. Plus, Baon's "low" salary of about 4 mil this season makes it impossible to get to much in return. Brand is the perfect target because the guys have the same contract situations. Its all so perfect ahahaaa

I hear ya. I wouldn't mind Brand at all, but we would need a PG bad. I do not want Wesley playing that spot. If he plays it at all, it should be in relief of Baron or whomever we could get as a starter.

I doubt Brand is a possibilty, but if so, he is solid.

...we get to go McDonalds
    Brand isn't worth the max

To me big stars give a team their identity. Where was Chicago before MJ? Where was Utah before Stockton and Malone? Sixers before Moses Malone and Dr. J? I think big stars make a team no matter what the city. And they also bring up the level of the other guys on the team. And some of those other guys become big stars as a result. If Baron truly wants to be a big star in this league, he needs to worry about his game, and the money and prestige will take care of itself IMO.

Originally posted by Primetime

In the words of Harvey Hornet, WE DON'T GIVE A FLYING F*** ABOUT YOU , YOUR CITY, YOUR POTENTIAL TEAM OR YOUR POTENTIAL OWNERS.

Starter
    Originally posted by nyknicksfan
    The only place in the country where the owners actions dictate fan turn out and team support. Well done CHT, you earned your reputation.
    Other than we lost the team, is this reputation all that bad ?

"Oh no, he cheated on his wife and raped a cheerleader.....let's build him a new arena........oh wait, he won't sign any of the big names so we can finally have a championship in town.. let's give him more money and all get skyboxes......oh no, he gets some guy from Atlanta to start looking for another city for his basketball team....let's make him Mayor. "

I mean come on, you can only do so much **** in a liftime before people STOP giving you money.....all you have to do is move somewhere else with rose colored glasses about basketball, and don't care what an owner DID, just what he does from now on. Hell, Charlotte wanted to keep the team, just lose the owners. So don't say we didn't want the Hornets....because we did....the arena proposal showed that. We just didn't want Shinn.

To tell you the truth, I would rather have an owner with morals, and try to stick to them.....otherwise you get some guy cheats on his wife, demands money for an arena that he won't help build, then run off with the team to another city. If you say Charlotte is bad because we didn't like what he did, I would hate to see what New Orleans sees as a respectable owner. I don't care if this pisses any of you off, because a statement like that pisses me off even more.

Originally posted by Haybud

To tell you the truth, I would rather have an owner with morals, and try to stick to them.....otherwise you get some guy cheats on his wife, demands money for an arena that he won't help build, then run off with the team to another city. If you say Charlotte is bad because we didn't like what he did, I would hate to see what New Orleans sees as a respectable owner. I don't care if this pisses any of you off, because a statement like that pisses me off even more.
    Shinn owns a basketball team. I pay money to be entertained by that basketball team. Shinn is not dating my daughter. Therefore whatever he does on his own time (even cheating on his wife) is not my concern.

As for the not signing big name players thing, we are all Saints fans in New Orleans. We've seen it for 35 years, and it's just part of the business.

And no your statement does not ******** me off at all. You hate Shinn, we love him. Just like Houston hates Bud Adams and Nashville loves him, and Clevelend hates Modell and Baltimore loves him. It happens...

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    I don't care if this pisses any of you off, because a statement like that pisses me off even more.
    There you have it, the honest truth from a CLT poster (Haybud). He doesn't care if he pisses us off because he doesn't care about respecting our rules or the fact that this is a pro-NOLA board. Haybud, it won't bother me if I never read another one of your posts ever again. I prefer to see you banned, but absent that, then theres always the ignore list. Waaaaahhhhhhhhhh! :tears:

Rant KNOCK OFF THE INCESSANT BICKERING

To everyone who feels compelled to discuss CLT vs. NOLA issues on the main board - quit it. This has absolutely no relevance to the Hornets future in NOLA or CLT's attempts to land an expansion team.

To everyone who feels compelled to incessantly comment upon the past personal lives and spending habits of the Hornets' owners - quit it. This is a topic that has been beaten to death. As for everything that has happened in the past with Shinn's personal life, you know that has been debated endlessly here since January and the only reason to keep bringing it up is to inflame the board.

And finally, to everyone who keeps bringing up the issues related to the Saints vs. Panthers on the main board, take it to the Everything Else Board or SaintsReport.com.

I am so sick of the way the threads on this board have degenerated the last few days such that there is no discussion about the Hornets and only this incessant bickering between CLT and NOLA board members.

NOW PLEASE STOP IT AND RETURN TO A CIVILIZED DISCUSSION ABOUT NEW ORLEANS HORNETS RELATED ISSUES ON THE MAIN BOARD.
    Last edited by say-what-x; 07-06-2002 at 07:15 PM.

Thread Information