Pelicans Report

Thread: Great Birdman Article from our old friend... {mega merged with deadspin piece}

News Great Birdman Article from our old friend... {mega merged with deadspin piece}

Benjamin Hochman, now with the Denver Post. After reading this, I really hope the Hornets re-sign him. He could be just the jolt we need to get over the top (IF we are not there already!)...

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_8096007

Outlandishly Optimistic... 2poor's Avatar
    Yeah...I'm sorry, you anti-Birdman people can lambaste me all you want, but I'd still love to have him back if there's a spot for him to fill. Whether or not there is a place for him is up to the coaches/FO, but as a fan I'd like to see him back and not just because of his antics.
    Last edited by 2poor; 01-28-2008 at 11:20 AM.
    Never looking back...or too far in front of me - the present is a gift, and I just wanna BEE.

To me, the question is simple: can he help this team?

Consider that he's been out of the league for 2 years. That's 2 years without meaningful, competitive basketball. Even if he's in shape, clean and able to join the team within 2 seconds of being reinstated, he's not going to start playing. He'll have to work and work to get into the rhythm this team is in. That's not easy to do when more than 40 games have been played. And it's a lot to expect out of him when the games coming are each more important than the last.

Plus how will this affect team chemistry and rotation? Outside of the rooks and Hilton, I can't imagine that everyone isn't somewhat satisfied with their roles. Does Birdman become the first big off the bench? Or second after Bowen? Or third after Ely?

I get that he was a fan-favorite and that he was a high-energy guy (a good thing to have in the bench). But the team he left in 2006 is not the team that's around in 2008. It may be a lot to expect out of him to come in, mesh with the team, gel with the offense and the defense and still not rock the boat a bit.

Just 2 pence.

Outlandishly Optimistic... 2poor's Avatar
    Did you read the whole article? This is the part that caught my eye and re-instilled the faith I've had in Birdman for awhile:

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Post
    Time for second chance

After completing a drug treatment program in Malibu, Calif., Andersen spent much of the past two years in Denver and Las Vegas, where he worked out with Joe Abunassar, a renowned basketball trainer.

During the summer of 2007, Andersen played eight weeks of intense pickup basketball, guarding the likes of Kevin Garnett and Jermaine O'Neal. Andersen played like he belonged.

It's hard to gauge how well the 29-year-old Andersen will play if reinstated. But Abunassar is making sure Andersen is as prepared as possible.

"He's maintained his speed, athleticism, aggressiveness, leaping ability," Abunassar said. "Those are things we monitor very carefully, to make sure he doesn't get too big (in the weight room) that he'd lose the bounciness that makes him so special. And we've done a lot of work on the court.

"I haven't known him for his whole basketball career, but I find it hard to believe he's ever worked harder than for this chance to get back."

Perseverance has brought perspective. Or maybe it's the other way around. Birdman still is the omnipresent goofball, the life of the party — he just won't be at the party. He hasn't outgrown his youthful nickname, but he has grown up.

"You're talking to a guy who has done criminal work for 20 years, and I've seen the high and lows of people who can't shake the problems," Bryant said. "Chris' commitment speaks for himself, when you look at him and on paper.

"I know it's been a great journey for him to understand himself, to understand how he got here, to understand the opportunity he lost."

Bryant often brings Birdman to community events. There was Andersen, lifting underprivileged kids by the waist and placing them on horseback. There was Andersen, helping coach a youth basketball team. There was Andersen, putting up a basketball hoop in an impoverished area, sharing his love of basketball with a community that still loves him.

"He's worthy of a second chance," Bryant said. "There was once a billboard in New Orleans that said 'We believe in the Birdman.' I like that saying. We believe in the Birdman. And he's believed in himself."
    You are right about the team aspect of it though...I'm not saying we absolutely no questions asked should bring him back because ZOMG HE'S BIRDMAN!@#

If the coaches/organization feel he could benefit the team than by all means bring him back...just don't write him off because of preconceived notions about his habits or what have you. I don't think he'll be a "cancer" and I think his "all hustle" style off the bench would fit nicely, think about the fearsome frontcourt combo of Ryan Bowen and Chris Andersen!!

I think Birdman is well-liked around the league. Him fitting in won't be a problem, but I agree with your statement about him not getting a ton of playing time right away.

Also, us getting him could rob valuable playing time from Armstrong. With that said, I'm still in favor of it. I like him, my girlfriend enjoys watching his retarded expressions, and I think it would bring an extra level of excitement to the Arena when he gets in.

To the average New Orleans basketball fan, he's as close to an "original" New Orleans Hornet as you get. I realize that's ridiculous seeing as David West is better and longer tenured, but you catch my drift.

Now, if we could get PJ back instead, that would be twice as nice.

Deadspin: Birdman Ready to Fly Again

Deadspin: Birdman Ready to Fly Again

It has only been two years, but still, a lot of people don't remember the maestro that was former Nugget and Hornet Chris Anderson. He's perhaps most famous for his performance in the slam dunk contest -- Bill Simmons wrote, "Looking back, I think the best part was that he started off the contest by telling the sideline reporter, 'It's time for the Birdman to fly.' Could somebody find me a time machine so I could travel back to the '80s and make that my high school yearbook quote?" -- and, of course, that hair. And then he got kicked out of the league for two years for using what was reported to be cocaine. His suspension run out Sunday.

We would love to see big Chris Anderson back, desperately, now that you mention it. He was always ridiculously fun to watch, even though it's certainly possible that he was using cocaine while on the court. (We'll know that was the case if he returns and appears to have mono.) We'd have to think the Knicks could take a chance on him, yes? Why not?

then they link to Big Ben's story on him...

yes, he can help the team its that simple.

cp3 and scott love him.

he does what the coaches ask and say. he hustles, and plays defense.
    playuoff basketball is different and it almost always comes down to one guy on the bench. usually who plays in relief of a big man. anyone remember jerome mouiso or whatever.

he will sell more tickets, and the bigger crowds would help the team.

seems like a simple answer.

but you have to consider team chemistry. pay roll. luxory tax, etc...

Another good one, from FoxSports...

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs...an_let_him_in2

I don't think chemistry would be a problem with Birdman. And the Hornets can let him practice himself into "playing" shape, and increase his minutes steadily. I just hope the league makes a quick decision before the trade deadline. My gut is that the Hornets will sign him.

His last full season in the NBA he averaged 7.7 points, 6.1 rebounds and 1.49 blocks -- providing the kind of energy off the bench that Anderson Varejao provides the Cleveland Cavaliers. And the Hornets need it.
    and who doesnt?!
    bring DA BIRDMAN BACK LOL!!

The Franchise
    lol yeah give him a shot
    Follow me on Twitter - www.twitter.com/ryinthehottub

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'd love to see Birdman and Bowen on the court at the same time running around like madmen. They'd probly keep crashin into each other though

I have no opinion, Bower will make the right decision

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NOhornets
    I have no opinion, Bower will make the right decision
    I rest my case.

Banned

Chris Andersen...?

If he is allowed to play again, do you think we will sign him or let him walk? How was his relationship with staff? I personally would like him on the team for his hustle and attitude and I do think we will sign him. Also, if we sign him is it a new deal, old deal, or negotiation, how does it work?

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    There's like this mega thread about him that you must've missed.

Make it happen Chouest Contributor NIH's Avatar
    It has already started...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by djpaul89
    There's like this mega thread about him that you must've missed.
    I saw it, just didn't see the answer to some of the questions about how it works other than the 30 day period. Are the answers there?

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NIH
    It has already started...
    Believe it or not, I acutally used to like Chris Andersen...

/mega merged

dabirddabirddabirdizdawordyaheard? bring him bak lik yezterday plznthanku!! bIrDmAN foR pReZ in 08!!!
    "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee" Muhammad Ali

The Hornets should definitely bring Birdman back. Anyone hear any word about his reinstatement?

The Birdman is going to carry us all the way to the finals....count on it.
    Dell Demps PLEASE get us some scorers!

Thread Information