Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Courtney Alexander is a Hornet!

Courtney Alexander is a Hornet!

Just heard it on the Dan Patrick Show.

Think it was the Wizards get the #17 pick, in exchange, the Hornets get Alexander.

Haha! So I finish high school, & my first paying job right out the gate is....to go back to high school! Who would've thunked it?!

Hornets land Alexander

Alexander is bound for the Big Easy.
    ESPN's David Aldridge reports June 25 the Wizards have traded Courtney Alexander to New Orleans for the Hornets first round pick, No. 17 overall. The Wizards now have the 11th and 17th pick in the June 26th NBA draft.
    Last edited by BGH; 06-25-2002 at 01:48 PM.

Are you sure they are not reporting that there are trade rumors?

Wizards Take Their Last Look
    Several sources confirmed that Washington has had trade talks with the New Orleans Hornets about trading guard Courtney Alexander for the Hornets' No. 17 pick. One source said the Hornets, who are relocating from Charlotte, are looking for an offensive-minded shooting guard.

This seems like a good trade for both teams. Alexander gives the Hornets an athletic guard who can either start or come off the bench with some scoring potential.

The trade has officially happened. It was just scrolled across ESPN's bottom line. Not just a rumor.

Tomorrow will be kind of boring without a draft pick to be made.

Gee, I wonder if the Hornets are going to trade anyone else to get a draft pick?

Just came up on the ESPN site.

Hornets land Alexander

Alexander is bound for the Big Easy.
    ESPN's David Aldridge reports June 25 the Wizards have traded Courtney Alexander to New Orleans for the Hornets first round pick, No. 17 overall. The Wizards now have the 11th and 17th pick in the June 26th NBA draft. According to the June 25 Washington Post, the Wizards were talking with the Hornets about Alexander; the Hornets, who are relocating from Charlotte, were looking for an offensive-minded shooting guard.

Darn it! I guess there is no need to have a draft party now! I wish they would have waited to see if Rush or Welsch were available at #17.

MzaMayhem
    I agree, I was kinda interested in Jiri Welsch. Its all gravy though, Courtney has skills. I have this weird feeling that Wesley or Elden might be on another team come Wednesday night.

MzaMayhem

HornetsFan,

Do you think that Rush or Welsh would be better fits for the Hornets? I don't have an opinion really but from what I have seen of Alexander when healthy he seems like a good fit for NO. Big, strong 2 guard who can defend and score in bunches. I think at this time he is ahead of Rush or Welsh.

Bugs - I am not sure. I really like Rush. Alexander has alot of talent, but I think only 2 years left on his contract. Also, I am just a little bummed that our first draft is over without a pick.

Pure speculation, but I think this seals the deal for Baron going to another team. I don't think the Hornets are going to want to go through the draft, with a draft party going on at the arena, without a pick. I just hope it's the Bulls pick so we can grab Jay Williams.

MzaMayhem
    I totally agree, if it is true about Baron lets atleast get Jay. Even though I am a Tar Heel fan and hate Dook!

Originally posted by spongey
    Pure speculation, but I think this seals the deal for Baron going to another team. I don't think the Hornets are going to want to go through the draft, with a draft party going on at the arena, without a pick. I just hope it's the Bulls pick so we can grab Jay Williams.
    I really hope you are wrong. Baron Davis is the future of this team.

I'm not too sure about this one. It has been documented that this guy can be a problem. The Wizards want to get rid of him for a reason.

I really hope you are wrong. Baron Davis is the future of this team.
    I hope I'm wrong too (most likely the case ), I'd like to see Baron lead this team for many years to come but if he wants out then the Hornets are going to ship him. Plus, I don't know how many people they'd get at a draft party if they weren't even participating in the draft. Whatever happens though, this is exciting!

Man, they let the air out of the draft party balloon. WOW! I'm totally shocked. I hope this guy pans out.

MzaMayhem
    From Cnnsi.com

Who says there's no intrigue surrounding this year's NBA Draft? While it's true that the top three picks appear set, there is no shortage of trade talk around the league. Even big names like Baron Davis, Dikembe Mutombo, Latrell Sprewell and Alonzo Mourning have been tossed into the hot stove frying pan.

Davis joined the picture Friday when New Orleans GM Bob Bass revealed that the Clippers had called about the availability of his stud point guard. Bass declined the pitch, but didn't say exactly what L.A. was offering in return.

Most likely it was forward Lamar Odom, whom the Clippers are said to be leery of giving a maximum contract to next season. An Odom-for-Davis deal would make some sense for both teams. The Clippers are not planning to re-sign free agent point guard Jeff McInnis, and Davis is an L.A. native who reportedly is not keen on moving with the team to New Orleans next season. Meanwhile the Hornets still aren't sure about the future of Jamal Mashburn, who missed the playoffs with a mysterious illness.

However, New Orleans already has George Lynch as insurance for Mashburn at small forward, and while David Wesley could slide back to the point, the roster features no other quality shooting guards. Besides, the idea of Odom in the Big Easy can't be too comforting to New Orleans management.

MzaMayhem

this blows. Courtney Alexander for the 17th pick in the draft. I'm stunned. And the Wash. Post is reporting that we're giving them a player plus another future pick. wtf.

Originally posted by Ecce
    this blows. Courtney Alexander for the 17th pick in the draft. I'm stunned. And the Wash. Post is reporting that we're giving them a player plus another future pick. wtf.
    Agreed, sounds like we are taking it up the ***.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    cc and ecce, you won't be saying that in a few months.

Courtney is a star in the making. He has serious talent but hasn't had the chance to show it as of yet.

i'm just hoping all the legal garbage surrounding what happened to him at Virginia (he hit his girlfriend, i think, then left school and transferred to fresno) is water under the bridge. from what people say, it is - he's apparently a good guy who made a bad mistake. but he could DEFINITELY play ball, and he's leaps ahead of any SG we could've drafted.

also, i heard the Wiz are giving us another guy, not the other way around...but it's all conjecture at this point.

It is conjecture at this point. I just think they are giving up too much for an unproven (at least over the long haul) player.

I do not think the Wizards are giving us anyone else. If I had to guess, I would guess we would be giving them Moiso. He was drafted #10 adn Alexander #13, so their contracts for cap purposes are close.

for those interested, Alexander will be at the draft party...

Originally posted by Bfauble83
    for those interested, Alexander will be at the draft party...
    woohoo.

Everyone will get a chance to meet the journeyman who we just blew the 17th pick on.

He's such a "star-in-the-making" that Orlando, Dallas, and Washington couldn't get rid of him fast enough.

This is highway robbery. I bet the Wizards fans are dancing in the streets of DC right about now.

I can't believe this trade. I'm hoping that someone will pinch me so I can wake up from this nightmare.

Thread Information