Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Courtney Alexander is a Hornet!

I haven't seen the guy play so I'm only going by what I read from people that have seen Alexander play. The comments that I've read range from "good trade for us" from a Wizards fan on the ESPN.com Wizards forum to "New Orleans got a STEAL" on the nbadraft.net board. I'll put my trust in the Hornets front office (right now ) and hope this was a good move for the franchise.

...we get to go McDonalds
    This really isn't a big trade. You're not going to get anyone better than Alexander at 17, unless you draft like the High School kid and decide to wait for a few years. The NBA Draft is not like the NFL Draft, you don't find starters at 17. In the NFL, you find starters into the beginning of the 3rd. In the NBA, you could be selecting in the top 7 and be selecting a back-up.

...we get to go McDonalds
    Alexander is a player. We wanted a scorer, we got one. If you stop and think, you'll realize that the reason we're kinda pissed is because we wanted a chance to hear Stern say "The New Orleans Hornets select..."

I hope you guys are right I'd hate to see this guy bomb and Welsch or Rush (if he makes it to 17) make a big splash next year. I haven't seen him at least that I was aware of last season. I usually followed Jordan when I saw Wizards games last year. I do remember a couple of his teammates looking OK. I just don't remember Alexander. Does anyone know what his exact injuries were?

Originally posted by Ecce
    He's such a "star-in-the-making" that Orlando, Dallas, and Washington couldn't get rid of him fast enough.
    I thought he was just with the Mavs & Wizards?

Haha! So I finish high school, & my first paying job right out the gate is....to go back to high school! Who would've thunked it?!

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    Originally posted by Primetime
    Alexander is a player. We wanted a scorer, we got one. If you stop and think, you'll realize that the reason we're kinda pissed is because we wanted a chance to hear Stern say "The New Orleans Hornets select..."
    I agree with you about the NFL/NBA draft thing, but I don't think that I agree with you about the Stern thing. I could really care less what that blow hard says! Just kidding! Seriously, I think that the Hornets have the opportunity to have a big party in NOLA tomorrow. I'd still go. Stuff like this happens all the time in the NBA and you know that there will be some last minute stuff tomorrow, too. I am just not sure if I want the Hornets involved in any last-minute scenarios.

The Franchise
    Originally posted by Bugs
    Do you think that Rush or Welsh would be better fits for the Hornets? I don't have an opinion really but from what I have seen of Alexander when healthy he seems like a good fit for NO. Big, strong 2 guard who can defend and score in bunches. I think at this time he is ahead of Rush or Welsh.
    I'm totally OK with the trade, Bugs. I know from a celebratory standpoint we won't have anyone to draft, but Alexander is a much better option than waiting for anyone of those rookie draft picks to develop. Plus, Courtney could come in and start.
    HANGIN' IN THE PELICANS ROOST!!

Originally posted by Biff Clurton

I thought he was just with the Mavs & Wizards?
    His rights were traded from Orlando to Dallas on draft day. He never played for the Magic.

Originally posted by CC_Hornet
    I hope you guys are right I'd hate to see this guy bomb and Welsch or Rush (if he makes it to 17) make a big splash next year.
    From the games that I've seen, & the reports that I've read, Alexander is a pretty good player. He's never really got any playing time while with the Mavs & Wizards.

Originally posted by spongey
    I haven't seen the guy play so I'm only going by what I read from people that have seen Alexander play. The comments that I've read range from "good trade for us" from a Wizards fan on the ESPN.com Wizards forum to "New Orleans got a STEAL" on the nbadraft.net board. I'll put my trust in the Hornets front office (right now ) and hope this was a good move for the franchise.
    They are saying the same thing at realgm.com. They think we "stole" Alexander and that he has the potential to be a 20 ppg starting 2 guard. We'll see.

Originally posted by HORNETSFAN

His rights were traded from Orlando to Dallas on draft day. He never played for the Magic.
    Ah, ok.

They are saying the same thing at realgm.com. They think we "stole" Alexander and that he has the potential to be a 20 ppg starting 2 guard. We'll see.
    I hope so we do need a scorer.

They think we "stole" Alexander and that he has the potential to be a 20 ppg starting 2 guard.
    That's what I'm thinkin

Originally posted by Primetime
    "... a player who doesn't beat up women and hasn't been dumped by three clubs."

yep, that's what I was hoping to hear Stern say. You guys can try to spin this one anyway you want, but in my mind this is a dark day in New Orleans Hornets history.

Orlando traded this guy for some cash and a case of beer.
    Dallas threw him in as an afterthought in the Juwan Howard deal.
    Washington straight up jacked us - thanks Bob Bass.

And if you can't get good players past #7, primetime, I want you to realize that Orlando drafted this great up and coming player at #13.

The Wizards will probably pick Stoudmire or Rush with our pick while we look on holding our bag of fool's gold.

Originally posted by MzaMayhem
    I agree, I was kinda interested in Jiri Welsch. Its all gravy though, Courtney has skills. I have this weird feeling that Wesley or Elden might be on another team come Wednesday night.

MzaMayhem
    Or better yet...

Baron Davis.

The Franchise
    Personally, this shows just how serious Hornets' ownership is about getting over the hump and winning the East. They've got no time to be concerned about whether a rookie SG will be able to contribute or even make it in this league. Courtney's already proven. Good move!

Ecce, why are you against this trade?

Just wondering.

Originally posted by Ecce

"... a player who doesn't beat up women and hasn't been dumped by three clubs."

yep, that's what I was hoping to hear Stern say. You guys can try to spin this one anyway you want, but in my mind this is a dark day in New Orleans Hornets history.

Orlando traded this guy for some cash and a case of beer.
    Dallas threw him in as an afterthought in the Juwan Howard deal.
    Washington straight up jacked us - thanks Bob Bass.

And if you can't get good players past #7, primetime, I want you to realize that Orlando drafted this great up and coming player at #13.

The Wizards will probably pick Stoudmire or Rush with our pick while we look on holding our bag of fool's gold.
    Ecce- His rights were traded by Orlando on draft day. He never played for them. By your account, I guess Kobe Bryant was "dumped" by one team before he became a Laker. His domestic abuse incident occurred while he was at Virginia before he transferred to Fresno St. That was at least 5 years ago and I do not know of any incidents since. It is not a "dark day in the history of the New Orleans Hornets." That is a little dramatic. Time will tell if it was a good or a bad trade.

By your account, I guess Kobe Bryant was "dumped" by one team before he became a Laker.
    Ironically, the team that traded him, was the Hornets.

Hall of Famer
    I'll admit it. The thing I am disappointed about is the prospect of not hearing David Stern say, "and now picking at number 17, the New Orleans Hornets select ..." Oh well. That's the NBA. For my part, I am still looking forward to the draft party and to meeting our new shooting guard. I suspect this is going to turn out to be a good trade. I also suspect that Spongey may be right about the BD trade. If not, we will probably be trading someone between now and the draft, and so will get the chance to hear our name called.

Ecce, what gives? You would be willing to use the number one pick in the draft to take a guy who has never played college ball and is the pawn of a communist government that could pull him at any time for it's own arcane political reasons, but you wouldn't take a chance on a guy who has been in the league for a few years, hasn't really been given a chance to start and show what he's got, and has basically one bad incident in his past from college that a lot of people seem to believe is behind him.

It would be nice if we have to include a player in this trade, if we could also get one of Washington's 2nd rounders. Not likely though.

I just hope we aren't giving up much more than #17. That's what I'd hate to see.

*The Original Get Buzzin* GetBuzzin's Avatar
    Why Alexander? Well, MJ had to get rid of the competition. Also, Alexander is 47% for 2 pointers. Alexander is gone because MJ called the trade. Just like B.J. Armstrong, Horace Grant, Paxon and on and on and on...

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    Hornets trade first-round pick for Alexander
    By RICK BONNELL

The Hornets made no secret of their desire for a shooting guard and their preference that he not be a rookie. So Tuesday they traded their first-round pick to the Washington Wizards for 6-foot-6 Courtney Alexander.
    The deal, widely rumored around the NBA Monday, gives coach Paul Silas the big shooting guard he asked for most of last season. This could eventually result in David Wesley playing off the bench at both the point and shooting guard, a role Silas has long envisioned for the senior-most Hornet.

The Wizards shopped Alexander much of the past week to open playing time for Michael Jordan, who will likely play as a reserve at shooting guard next season behind Richard Hamilton.

The Hornets, who are moving to New Orleans, expect to have Alexander in that city tomorrow night for a draft party.

Time for some football!!!

Half-Season "Purple" Pack
    Bugs - I am just a little bummed that our first draft is over without a pick.
    Well, the New Orleans Jazz traded their firsts picks for Pistol Pete, but I'm not gonna hold those expectations for Alexander.

Thread Information