Pelicans Report

Thread: It's Halo time (baseball playoffs)

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar

MLB It's Halo time (baseball playoffs)

Orange County only has two pro teams, the Angels and the Mighty Ducks and we RULE THE WORLD!

What are you guys' thoughts on the baseball playoffs?

Time for some football!!!

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    I love the baseball playoffs....even more so when I have a dog in the hunt. Thats not the case this year.

In the NL I'm pulling for AZ. I've been to a bunch of games there and kind of adopted them as a team to root for from time to time. Now is one of those times.

In the AL, I'm pulling ror Cleveland and the Angels. Again, two markets and stadiums I've hand the chance to visit. The Cleveland fans are crazy for the Indians. I got caught up in the hoopla last time I was there. Have always liked the Angels for some reason. Goes back to some post season games involving Gary Pettis if I remember correctly.

Three teams I don't want to see have any success at all? Yankees, Cubs and Phillies. BUT...I could root for the Cubs or Phils if they were playing the Yankess in the World Series.

Gerry V's #1 FAN!! Contributor
    Being a Mets fan, i can't wait for this season to end. I've never been so disappointed with a sports franchise in my entire lifetime. Win and your in. How do you lose 6 of your last 7 against Washington Nationals, Florida Marlins and St Louis Cardinals. ( they lost last 12 / 15 combined against those same teams) With your best hitter (David Wright) on absolute fire the entire time. Going to take months to get over it. Good luck to Everyones team who's in there.

Failure is always an option Contributor
    The mets collapse is one for the ages and I am sick to death for Mets fans. They had this thing dead to rights and let it just slip away. It is going to take at least 6-8 years for the aftermath to disappear. That is a sad thing for a really fun team and a great fan base.....

The Opinion Business Contributor gerryv's Avatar

Love the MLB Playoffs !

La Ang probably the best team in baseball .i love thier team..could be the most complete team in the majors...of course i rooy for my yanks and their hot final 2 and a half months..can the yankee pitchers hold serve and can the bats remain hot ?....hope its a good run....mets ?? jes what happened ??
    1-What does not move is dead.What has speed,and mobilty has more possibilities,more life...quickness creates luck.

2- Your Defense is only as good as your HELP/ROTATING defenders.

3-Games are won while the ball is in the air.

4- You design your roster to win a 7 game series not a one game confrontation.

Quote Originally Posted by gerryv
    La Ang
    Say it ain't so. I cringe everytime I see that. The Angels have to go to Fenway where they haven't fared too well. They go into the post-season banged-up as well. Confidence is not as high around here this year. The team is fairly well-rested, however, so we'll see.

Cubs anybody?

WE may be the ugly ducklings of the NL playoffs this year, but we are in never the less.

do we have any chance at all?

Wow! What an ending to the WC playoff game. Rockies give up two in the top of the 13th and then score three in the bottom!

Go D-Backs, Rockies, Indians and Angels!!!

HH, he was out at the plate. If you review that play again, holiday's hand did not touch home plate. Padres were screwed, blued and tattoed. that ref did not know whether he had really touched home plate. He made a call 5 seconds afterwards, so he either did not know or was making a guess call

New FULL ssn ticket holder! Hornet-Saint's Avatar
    Anybody but the Phillies, Cubs, Yankees, and Red Sox. With that said, go Diamomdbacks and Rockies!

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Hornet
    Wow! What an ending to the WC playoff game. Rockies give up two in the top of the 13th and then score three in the bottom!

Go D-Backs, Rockies, Indians and Angels!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Saintman2884
    HH, he was out at the plate. If you review that play again, holiday's hand did not touch home plate. Padres were screwed, blued and tattoed. that ref did not know whether he had really touched home plate. He made a call 5 seconds afterwards, so he either did not know or was making a guess call
    That game had it all. Very exciting and entertaining, back and forth game.

At first, I thought the ump was waiting to see if the catcher held onto the ball. After the replays, I'm not sure what he was waiting for, but he did appear to lean in and look at the plate before making his call. Not sure what he was looking for. Then again, this could have been a makeup call for the ruling that the ball did not clear the fence in the 7th. Or, the umps could have had an early flight out and needed to leave....

Fun game. What baseball is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet-Saint
    Anybody but the Phillies, Cubs, Yankees, and Red Sox. With that said, go Diamomdbacks and Rockies!
    Go Cubs, Go Yankees!

The Opinion Business Contributor gerryv's Avatar

safe at home !

he was safe on TV..he was safe during the re-play...he was safe when i watched it again while at the gym...he was safe when i closed my eyes and ran it in my brain.....

PS plus it made up for the blown HR call off the railing earlier....

yanks and cleveland baybee !!!
    Last edited by gerryv; 10-02-2007 at 05:01 PM.

It looked like the ump called it like a straight play at the plate. Once he saw the ball on the ground, he called the player safe. replay clearly showed that the runner did not touch the plate.

Either way, Hoffman stunk the joint up and blew yet another save. He blew 2 of his last 3. If he gets just one of those, the Padres are in.

Well that just sucked.

I'm liking the other series results. Angels need to turn it around.

I was talking to a guy at LAX about the Angels just last week. We both lamented the fact that we were coming into a difficult series on the road both hurt and not playing well. Being down 2-0 is a disaster. The Angels would have to win 3 in a row to advance. Possible? Sure but not likely. The Angels should have won this game in the top of the 8th. We left two runners on base and in scoring position. The 3rd out was on strikes - looking.

Louisiana True    Contributor   
    Quote Originally Posted by WCH
    What are you guys' thoughts on the baseball playoffs?
    Red Sox all the way, baby.

I'm torn between wanting to see the Yankees fail miserably in the ALDS or comeback against the Indians to then lose at the hands of the BoSoz in the ALCS.

Don't care much about the NL, but I think the D'Backs will be the team that makes it to the World Series.
    "The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, and comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming..." - TR, 1910

I'm very pleased with the advancement of Colorado and Arizona. I'd prefer to see Arizona go to the WS, but I'll be happy to follow whoever wins that series. Would love to see the Indians sweep the Yanks. Need the Angels to bounce back against the Sox.

I thought the D-backs and Rockies would make it, but have been wrong about the AL so far.

That said a Boston - Cleveland series ought to be great.

Right now, I gotta think it's Arizona v Boston in the WS. But I've been so wrong before.

Throw 'em in Joe!

/glad to see Clemens won't make it to the WS too

I enjoy watching Arizona, Colorado and Cleveland. Anyone but the Sox and I'll be happy with the WS.

gooooo indians!

New FULL ssn ticket holder! Hornet-Saint's Avatar
    I have a 75% chance of being happy with the World Series winner. If Boston wins, I'm effed.

St. Bernard Eagles for life NicosiaBuzz377's Avatar
    Im going for the Tribe, as everytime I watch them in the playoffs im magically wisked away to my favorite childhood movie "Major League."

GIVE EM THE HEATER RICKEY!!!

Thread Information