Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Time to call it...

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    Actually, I have the Saints at 0-16. And that is not to be negative. As soon as the Saints show me that they can turn things around, I'll stop predicting such a perfect season for them. Right now, this team can't beat anyone. Maybe the Dolphins, who are 0-5. A friend of mine said that the Saints are at the bottom in each of 6 important league categories. That tells me that this team is, in fact, the worst in the NFL.

Time for some football!!!

The Opinion Business Contributor gerryv's Avatar

"It is what it is "

In pro sports the ole saying goes like this . "It is what it is " nothing less nothing more.....this isn't a good football team.You can pick out several areas of play. Bush is more hype vs substance till he does something....need run blocking off linemen...how they ignored the DEF in the draft when you can't pass rush like you want so as not to expose the secondary....special teams etc...its a vey fragile sideline as well.the expressions are those of guys getting ready to be walked to the firing squad....lots of anxiety...

i'm watching running backs every weekend that run harder and have that straight ahead burst....cut with all the hype and make Bush a reciever + slot guy.......they need another RB..... and oh year the QB play is ?..well ..it is what it is not very good........GV
    Last edited by gerryv; 10-08-2007 at 10:20 AM.
    1-What does not move is dead.What has speed,and mobilty has more possibilities,more life...quickness creates luck.

2- Your Defense is only as good as your HELP/ROTATING defenders.

3-Games are won while the ball is in the air.

4- You design your roster to win a 7 game series not a one game confrontation.

Quote Originally Posted by gerryv
    In pro sports the ole saying goes like this . "It is what it is " nothing less nothing more.....this isn't a good football team.You can pick out several areas of play. Bush is more hype vs substance till he does something....need run blocking off linemen...how they ignored the DEF in the draft when you can't pass rush like you want so as not to expose the secondary....special teams etc...its a vey fragile sideline as well.the expressions are those of guys getting ready to be walked to the firing squad....lots of anxiety...

i'm watching running backs every weekend that run harder and have that straight ahead burst....cut with all the hype and make Bush a reciever + slot guy.......they need another RB..... and oh year the QB play is ?..well ..it is what it is not very good........GV
    I agree that we aren't a good football team, but I don't understand why you are ripping Bush in this post. Did you watch the game? The guy was our entire offense yesterday.

He didn't "dance" too much and he ran hard. He was a freaking 1st down machine against the Panthers, going up the gut on several 3rd and shorts and laying out to convert some 3rd and longs.

If you don't like Bush because of the hype, that's fine. It's also not Bush's fault the hype is there, it's the media's. Is he supposed to refuse endorsement money? If you watched the game, then you saw the Saints ride a very determined Reggie Bush down the field several times.

Out of all the people who played horribly yesterday, some people want to single out Bush, our best offensive player (in that game). Unless you didn't see the game, then I don't get it.

Saints

Stickman,I have written off the saints.I do have season tickets I will be there the rest of the way.I am a diehard, I love the saints.This is very painful for me.I just can't wait for the hornets season to get under way.Thank God for them Tigers.

Gerry seems to have a beef with Reggie for some reason. Find me one RB that can run behind that line. Reggie is FAR from being the problem with this team.

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    It really is Aaron Brooks' fault!

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    Reggie was sold as a game-breaker. He hasn't been doing that this year. Maybe that is Gerry's frame of mind.

The TP ran a poll yesterday on the Saints' game MVP. I went with Reggie. He had a ton of touches. No one else was really doing anything. He did the best he could given the circumstances. The only criticism I MIGHT level at Reggie is that it seems like he likes to avoid getting hit wherever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by WCH
    Reggie was sold as a game-breaker. He hasn't been doing that this year. Maybe that is Gerry's frame of mind.

The TP ran a poll yesterday on the Saints' game MVP. I went with Reggie. He had a ton of touches. No one else was really doing anything. He did the best he could given the circumstances. The only criticism I MIGHT level at Reggie is that it seems like he likes to avoid getting hit wherever possible.
    I realize that reggie has not been the game breaker. Honestly though, it is almost like 1 against 11 out there. I cannot believe how poorly the line has played (not to mention the terrible play calling).

Reggie's a good player. On many teams he'd be THE player. Come to think of it, he is almost that with the Saints as there's not much else worth talking of out there on any given Sunday. He was by far the greatest, in terms of volume, part of the offense yesterday.

Considering the amount he touches on the ball, avoiding bruising hits in order to fight for another down isn't chicken, it's smart. We've already lost Deuce for the season, and we can't afford to lose Reggie too. When he had to, he dove, stretched and put his head down for the first down. He's also a leader of this team and shows that he's dedicated to giving it his all.

The real problem is, the O-line won't/can't create holes for him and our WRs, save one of them, are so weak that the opposition can concentrate their efforts on Reggie. That's not Reggie's fault, it's his fate.

Brees is scrambling all over and trying to throw so quickly as he's got little or no protection in the pocket. Problem is, the weakest WRs in the entire league by far are rarely open. They don't have the time to go deep or get open. Let's not mention Henderson (Featherstone) and his drops.

Bottom line is that the Saints are a bad team with a few good players, of which Reggie is one. He can't do it all, which is sad as others aren't doing anything.

yo loco and hornetsfan.....the beef is when the going was rough he wouldn't give time to local media and leave the locker room....the beef is righ tnow he is over rated....the beef is i've seen rb's in the league that can duplicate what he can do.....the beef is right now he is over rated......the line is over rated.....play ahs been horrible......until i see a player that can handle the media and take it like a pro ( and i've covered pro guys for a long long time i'm not buyin into the hype yet...yeah he has talent and speed but finding a hard running back doesn't seem to be that rough of a deal.......beef ??? i believe what is see and observe......the defense has so many needs......i'm just not sold on bush yet.........GV

yo loco and hornetsfan.....the beef is when the going was rough he wouldn't give time to local media and leave the locker room....the beef is righ tnow he is over rated....the beef is i've seen rb's in the league that can duplicate what he can do.....the beef is right now he is over rated......the line is over rated.....play ahs been horrible......until i see a player that can handle the media and take it like a pro ( and i've covered pro guys for a long long time i'm not buyin into the hype yet...yeah he has talent and speed but finding a hard running back doesn't seem to be that rough of a deal.......beef ??? i believe what is see and observe......the defense has so many needs......i'm just not sold on bush yet.........GV
    I never said anything about a "beef" and I wouldn't know about his dealings with the media. I understand why that's important to you, but I am speaking about him soley as a player on the field.

Call him over-rated all you want, he was our best player against Carolina. He had nothing to work with (nobody else played well) but still put up like 130 yards. Anyone who watched the game saw Reggie laying out for several tough 1st downs. You could also see that the Saints rode down the field several times riding on Reggie's back.

Against Carolina he played tough, he played determined and he played well. All of that was incredibly obvious. He also gave himself an "F", which shows that he is holding himself accountable for what was mostly the fault of those around him. To me, that shows a guy with the will to win and the will to be a leader.

At this point in time, I really can't understand calling him out or saying he's one of the problems. That's all.

ii am not buyin into the emotional blah blah ! i want solid evidence that my eyes tell me.i've noticed that lots of saints fans "reach " for resons and tnhings to hang on to.
    this team is a mirage right now....my lines are loaded ! its bush...the line ..the def line...the sec....coaching.....saints lead the legue in drops...henderson yikes !
    when i see a total team effort and when i see bush conduct himself the way he is supposed to i may give a lil...until then...no way do i change my mind....

the " how many backs could run behind that line?".....nonsense excuse making garbage !....this team has flopped.....guy with a bad groin is asked to kick a fieldgoal from 50 +....come on guys !..the days of the soft hearts and clinging to last years memories is "hollywood" stuff......they need to get their butts in gear and playfootball.

oh and another thing..the "DIEHARD" is a high school line.you're either a fan or yo are not.you stick with your team ( go yankees) while at the sametime you take the heat that comes along with it ! any questions ?

lets do some phones !!

GV

I don't buy it. I could care less if he does not give you an interview. He is playing hard and is FAR from the problem with this team. You yourself have said many times that a great RB cannot run behind a terrible line. Be consistent.

The reason for us doing bad is coaching henderson and oline.
    Its the oline because brees has no time in the pocket and no holes for bush to run through.
    The coaching because we arent blitzing at all thats why we have 1 sack and also its placalling on offense.
    Henderson doesnt no how to catch a ball he gave the game away by giving an interception to carolina which resulted in them tying it.

Thread Information