Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: New Name For Hornets

Originally posted by bayoubengal44
    I think the best name for the team would be the pelicans. How can anyone from Louisiana not like this name? It is our state bird and we are known as the pelican state. Come on guys this is a lot better than HORNETS!!!

New Orleans Pelicans!!!
    Yeah but you will have to get it out of Benson's hands. LOL! Not too intimidating a name for a basketball team either. But, it is a good New Orleans name.
    Last edited by CC_Hornet-x; 06-04-2002 at 10:15 AM.

cant you guess ... opps relocated to hawks country, (at least i know it is one team the bobcats SHOULD beat-lol
    Originally posted by CC_Hornet

Not too inimidating a name for a basketball team either. But, it is a good New Orleans name.
    Thats what everyone said about the hornets origionally.

I also like the name Black Bears. This is the official state mammal. My friend has a black bear license plate. It's cool looking.

1. New Orleans/Louisiana Pelicans
    2.Louisiana Black Bears

Check out the link.

http://www.bbcc.org/default.htm
    Geaux LSU Tigers, New Orleans Saints, New Orleans Pelicans, Houston Astros!

Originally posted by Abbie

Thats what everyone said about the hornets origionally.
    Well in that case we should be the New Orleans Salt Marsh Mosquitos. Those are pretty vicious and will bite you anytime of the day.

Draft Pick
    Alabama, although possibly to Hotlanta soon!!!

OP ED Comments for Dream34

Originally posted by dream34
    [B]

Actually I don't belive anyone here is fundamently against a name change, in the event that we can find one that is fitting. Problem is most of those which sound even half good (Hurricanes, Gators, Brass, VooDoo, or Jazz) have already been claimed by another (NBA, NCAA, NHL, ETC) team.
    Have you totally forgotten about the news article that said that the Utah Jazz might actually be willing to give the name back to New Orleans??
    As for Gators, it might actually be possible to use that name. Did you know that the name "Cavaliers" is shared by both the University of Virginia and the Cleveland NBA franchise?? Cavs is short for "Cavaliers." And don't even get me started on the Panthers.
    This is compounded by the fact that I cannot remember any time in recent history that a relocating team has changed their name irreardless of how bad it sounds (LA Lakers?, Utah Jazz?, Sac Kings?, ETC....)
    I disagree with you yet again. Sacramento Kings actually does make sense when you consider the fact California actually did used to be ruled by a king at one time. It was ruled by the king of Spain to be exact.

BTW, I have a bone to pick with you Spongey, and it's not about the guy you banned earlier. I'll tell you about it on the smack board.
    "Take a holiday, let your children play" --Taken from "Riders on the Storm, by the Doors.

PirateNBama, the Deseret News just ran a piece where the Jazz owners say the name is not for sale and they have no intention of changing after 23 years of being the Utah Jazz - too much of an investment in the name for them.

I posted that article the other day.

cant you guess ... opps relocated to hawks country, (at least i know it is one team the bobcats SHOULD beat-lol

Re: Comments for Dream34

Originally posted by PirateNBama

the University of Virginia and the Cleveland NBA franchise?? Cavs is short for "Cavaliers." .

I just had to re post that someone other than myself mentioned my Virginia Cavaliers!!! You know I am a fan right? J/K!

I went to WCU but was always a UVA fan growing up, that never changes!

Travis Bickle Contributor cab694's Avatar

Re: Re: Re: New Name For Hornets

Originally posted by Harvey Hornet

Many of us here like the name Hornets and disagree. The main reason would be that NO ONE has come up with a decent sounding name other than a return of the great Jazz moniker. Take it with a grain of salt though. I know you realize we are not nearly as smart, reasonable and informative as your old friends at CLT.com. You have said so. No worries though, the prodigal son is always welcome home.
    Gee Harv, thanks for the great welcome. I've been here all along. As far as ya'll not being as "smart'. reasonable" and "imformative" as some friends I made on CLT.com? Did I say that? Well it's probably my opinion. That's OK isn't it? To have an opinion. Besides, I'm just a dumb***** cab driver. I obviously could never get into a debate with a person of your superior intellect. If I EVER mentioned you by name(which I didn't), you have my humblest apology.

Chairman Of The Bored

"I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous." -cab694

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Name For Hornets

Originally posted by cab694

Gee Harv, thanks for the great welcome. I've been here all along. As far as ya'll not being as "smart'. reasonable" and "imformative" as some friends I made on CLT.com? Did I say that? Well it's probably my opinion. That's OK isn't it? To have an opinion. Besides, I'm just a dumb***** cab driver. I obviously could never get into a debate with a person of your superior intellect. If I EVER mentioned you by name(which I didn't), you have my humblest apology.
    I had to get that off my chest. You did say something along those lines at that other place some time ago and it stuck in my craw. You crawsticker! It's all good now. Like I have said all along. Everyone is entitled to an opinioin. Even if it is wrong!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Name For Hornets

Originally posted by Harvey Hornet

I had to get that off my chest. You did say something along those lines at that other place some time ago and it stuck in my craw. You crawsticker! It's all good now. Like I have said all along. Everyone is entitled to an opinioin. Even if it is wrong!!!
    You know what they say about opinions...! You do have more than your "share".

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Name For Hornets

You know what they say about opinions...! You do have more than your "share".

Hopefully things will be OK now cab, but I was a little taken aback at the way you talked of this board and our city over there at CLT.com.

Originally posted by HORNETSFAN
    Hopefully things will be OK now cab, but I was a little taken aback at the way you talked of this board and our city over there at CLT.com.
    I wish someone could tell me exactly what it was I said on CLT.com? I was over there defending New Orleans(I actually live IN Orleans Parish). I was putting down 4-nohornets for his racist views on New Orlerans & bashing the idiots like lou-hornet, riverboat, BillyBob327 etc. who were making asses of themselves and embarassing the city. I wanted CTL people to know not everyone from here was like that. I did meet some nice people & some idiots. That's the way the world works.
    So HORNETSFAN, maybe "things?" will be better.

I know this sounds crazy but there is always the possibility of re-using the Zephyrs, Saints or Brass names if we got permission. The St. Louis Cardinals did it for years with baseball and footbal and also the NY Giants did the same. Just an idea I hadn't seen here. Saints is doubtful though.

I have a idea. Lets ask the Jazz to have a contest which the overall winner of the Jazz/N.O. series over the next 2 years get the Jazz name. Think Utah will go for that?

Originally posted by Mo-Hornets
    I have a idea. Lets ask the Jazz to have a contest which the overall winner of the Jazz/N.O. series over the next 2 years get the Jazz name. Think Utah will go for that?
    Not with the rebuilding they are going to need to do with Stockton and Malone departing soon. I think they have too much history and we are SOL with that name now. Too bad it was a great name for us.

I wish someone could tell me exactly what it was I said on CLT.com? I was over there defending New Orleans(I actually live IN Orleans Parish). I was putting down 4-nohornets for his racist views on New Orlerans & bashing the idiots like lou-hornet, riverboat, BillyBob327 etc. who were making asses of themselves and embarassing the city. I wanted CTL people to know not everyone from here was like that. I did meet some nice people & some idiots. That's the way the world works.
    So HORNETSFAN, maybe "things?" will be better.
    I had swept it under the rug, but if you want to know, it went something like this: "I come to this board (clt.com) because people are more informed and not as irrational as those on the New Orleans board." That is not verbatim, but you sure made it sound like you thought we were a bunch of uninformed jack@$$e$ and that the CLT guys knew exactly what was going on. In the end, who knew what was really going on? Who were the ones acting like fools? Welcome to neworleanshornets.com. We have discussed the facts here since day one. We discussed the truth, and sometimes the truth hurts. I know they did not want to hear it, but should we kiss their behinds and lie to them? Sorry, I couldn't do it. Lets just move forward now, OK? I know they were more informative and level headed, but it seems you are stuck with us now...

Draft Pick
    I know these examples refer exclusively to basketball teams, but this does not apply to the major professional sports leagues.

Does anyone remember the Houston/Tennessee Oilers? Since they have become the Titans, they clearly have a unique identity separeated from the history of Houston's franchise. However, if they were still the Tennessee Oilers people would always reflect back to the Houston era. Because they have change their name the franchise is only assoicated with Tennessee.

I think the same will hold true in New Orleans case. We will be the "second version" of the Hornets unless like 30 years pass orwe win a bunch of champoinshis like the Lakers.

So I think the fundemental quesrtion is not what should the name be, but rather do we want OUR OWN name? (Jazz or otherwise)

cole_boy - Without expressing any opinion as to whether or not the team should change its name, changing the name cannot erase that link to this team's past

This is not an expansion franchise so the team comes with its history. The Titans are still the old Houston Oilers, the Ravens are still the old Cleveland Browns, the Avalance are still the old Quebec Nordiques and the Hurricanes are still the old Hartford Whalers.

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    cole_boy,

Do you really think of MINN when you think of the Lakers? Or do you wonder about FT Worth when you see the Pistons lace them up? How about when you saw the Kings play the Lakers, did you sit and say boy this series between Minn and KC is wild? Basketball has had more city changes than any other sport, and usually the name stayed the same. Hey, when you watch the Rockets do you forget and start cheering for San Diego?

The list goes on and on. I will give you that part of the fun of getting a team is naming them, however Horents is a pretty general name (sure it means something to CHT, but Hornets can stand alone) and until something is brought up that doesn't sound like something you would see contected to the XFL or minor leagues, the new names would get a better response.

It has nothing to do with having OUR OWN name. Truth is that renaming the team would be cool, even fun. But in today's over marketed corporation dominated sports culture, you can't just have a newspaper contest and rename the team. It needs to go through teams of marketing people, it needs to be tested, and then on top of all of that the NBA needs to vote on it.

For most of us, we are so happy that NO finally got a team, that changing the name is of no importance.

And to answer your Oilers question. The Oilers name fit the city of HOU the way Jazz fit NO, Horents is not as geograohically important than something like Oil (which is known nation wide as a Texas thing). I could make the argument that TENN stole the name Titians from a now defunct pro football team, which had nothing to do with TENN.

Cab,

I remember you from the other board. I know you took up for NO, but you did say that the CHT board was more civil and that you liked being there. I have no problem with that, but I was at that board too and many of the post were flat out bashing NO and it's people. Several "most respect" posters over there wrote things that made NO look 3rd world and CHT look like the 2nd coming of Rome. I remember someone name Malysak or something, who's post were so uninformed that I stopped going there. I actually thought you were from CHT . . . trying to give an alternative view without upsetting anyone over there.

Draft Pick
    I have to apologize because I forgot to include dream 34's statement which I was responding to...

"I cannot remember any time in recent history that a relocating team has changed their name irreardless of how bad it sounds (LA Lakers?, Utah Jazz?, Sac Kings?, ETC....) "

I agee that you can never sever the history of the franchise, but perception can be changed.

Of course you don't link Minn to the Lakers or Ft Wayne to the Pistons, because that was many years and many championships ago. Take the more recent examples however of Indianapolis Colts, Arizona Cardinals, and St Louis Rams (despite all their recent success) and those names still have a second rate quality about them. Wheras a team like the Titans have instantly done away with any such stigmas.
    Last edited by cole_boy; 06-05-2002 at 04:31 PM.

Truthfully, I don't think that the Indy Colts, AZ Cardinals or St.L. Rams carry any stigma. The teams moved and I associate them with their new cities - in effect I consider each past city as a separate team. Sure you are more likely to have the occasional slip and refer to them by their old city's name but that is no big deal. Over time, regardless of post move accomplishments, you really don't think that much about the city the team left. Their association is now with the new city regardless of the name.

So whether the team is called the New Orleans Hornets, New Orleans 9th Warders or New Orleans Neonights (LOL), they are now New Orleans' team. Use of the city's name takes care of that.

Hall of Famer
    Originally posted by cole_boy
    Take the more recent examples however of Indianapolis Colts, Arizona Cardinals, and St Louis Rams (despite all their recent success) and those names still have a second rate quality about them.
    Trivia tidbit: The Cardinals were the Chicago Cardinals before moving to St. Louis. The Rams were the Cleveland Rams before moving to Los Angeles.

Thread Information