Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New Name For Hornets

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Name For Hornets

Originally posted by West Coast Hornet

Yeah, but I don't have a problem with it!
    Hey guys, I was kidding. I hope it came across that way!!!

The Franchise
    These are my favorites of which I think are all better than Hornets:

New Orleans Knights

New Orleans Spirits

New Orleans Revelers
    HANGIN' IN THE PELICANS ROOST!!

Originally posted by RENFO

New Orleans Knights

New Orleans Spirits

New Orleans Revelers
    I think in time people could get use to Knights or Revelers. Revelers has more N.O. possibilities though. You could have a court jester dressed in purple, green, and gold as the mascot. I think it would take some time for the name to grow on people. Its hard to look at new names when the Jazz was so good and Hornets has become popular due to the repetition of its calling here the last several months.

Re: Re: New Name For Hornets

I'd like to vouch for say-what. He's been here a long time and he rarely, if ever, stirs the pot. That job is left to me. I am the coullion of this group. I think that you jumped the gun on him. Also, you should realize that some of these topics have been discussed over and over. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't discuss them, though. This is my first post on this topic because I have been avoiding it due to the repetitive subject matter involved, but I relented tonight.

Take it easy and enjoy the board. I am sure you and I will be later.
    Thanks WCH, glad I didn't rate a coullion for this one.

Hawkeye, I probably came across the wrong way in my earlier posts in this thread, and a little too sarcastic for such a benign thread...it was probably a little bit of the Laker plague affecting me By all means I did not mean to say or imply that you should not post on certain topics. We all have our opinions and yes we do express them....sometimes a little strongly.

Since I did not say it earlier, welcome to the board. I am sure there will be things we agree about in the future (as well as future disagreements). You will find that on a whole, the board members get along, even though we disagree strongly about certain subjects - but that is part of the fun of this board.

Re: Re: Re: New Name For Hornets

Originally posted by say-what
    You will find that on a whole, the board members get along, even though we disagree strongly about certain subjects - but that is part of the fun of this board.
    WTF, Couillion!

Originally posted by RENFO

New Orleans Knights

New Orleans Spirits

New Orleans Revelers
    I guess we will agree to disagree. Knights is OK I guess.

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Name For Hornets

Originally posted by CC_Hornet

WTF, Couillion!
    Why you low down, dirty, rotten, @*%$! - calling me a coullion.
    Why I ought to......

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Name For Hornets

Why you low down, dirty, rotten, @*%$! - calling me a coullion.
    Why I ought to......
    Hey, I'm just trying to get to 1000 posts.

3 more CC, you can do it. Go ahead, respond to this. I dare you.

cant you guess ... opps relocated to hawks country, (at least i know it is one team the bobcats SHOULD beat-lol

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Name For Hornets

Hey, I'm just trying to get to 1000 posts.
    Cheater! (hey I am trying to get to 250)

3 more CC, you can do it. Go ahead, respond to this. I dare you.
    Great weather we're having right now. Hot as hell

cant you guess ... opps relocated to hawks country, (at least i know it is one team the bobcats SHOULD beat-lol
    Really what is the temp? Just trying to help ya out!

Originally posted by Abbie
    Really what is the temp? Just trying to help ya out!
    Not bad now only 86 but it has been getting hotter the last few days.

Really- It was in the 90's here this weekend too, & real humid. Thats 249- congrats CC you made it!

I think it is supposed to get up to 75 here today.
    WCH, I know you don't miss the hot summers here. With all this el nino weather pattern business, the rain chances have become alot less.

Thanks Abbie! I made it!
    Last edited by CC_Hornet-x; 06-03-2002 at 12:53 PM.

Ah, how correct you are. I haven't been to NOLA during the summer in probably 10 years. By the way, Jazzland is nice, but why isn't there a huge water park in town a la the Schlitterbahn in San Antonio? When I was a kid, there was one just off of I-10 at Clearview in Met. There are still some on the MS Gulf Coast, I think, and there were a few at Pensacola Beach before that hurricane wiped out 1/2 of Santa Rosa Island. You guys need a water park. There is one in So. Cal. at San Dimas, which is pretty cool. All hot towns should have a water park. Later...
    I have a feeling that Six Flags will come up with something like Astroworld. They have Waterworld next to Astroworld. There is plenty of ground for it next to Jazzland (Six Flags). I think the next few years will be great for that new Six Flags (Jazzland). They will do things right out there now. Look for a water park in a few next to it.

I have a feeling that Six Flags will come up with something like Astroworld. They have Waterworld next to Astroworld. There is plenty of ground for it next to Jazzland (Six Flags). I think the next few years will be great for that new Six Flags (Jazzland). They will do things right out there now. Look for a water park in a few next to it.
    According to reports, they're going to invest about $25 million in the next couple of years. I also heard they're going to a water park. After that, the speedway is going to be added.

Hey we have a water park at Paramounts Carrowinds- Thats 250!
    Now, someone explane to me how I can get a point, I just dont think its possible to be an allstar and never scored! .

Now back to basketball!
    Last edited by Abbie; 06-03-2002 at 01:48 PM.

All those who do not wish to read about what some have referred to as the repetitive issue of a name change please click your mouse. Hopefully my comments may find some welcome ears of the newer members, like myself, who were not around before the issue became repetitious to some.
    The main purpose of my original post was to simply state that I, personally, will never be happy with an inherited name no matter what it might be. I did not mean to stir up a sandstorm. However, in view of the response it tells me that the issue is far from settled.

Having been raised in NOLA I know that the people there are extremely proud of their heritage, maybe more so than any other place in the country, and since this is the only NBA team we will ever have in our lifetime I firmly believe that many would like a name reflecting on that pride and not one that reflects on the pride of the city of Charlotte which the name "Hornets" does. If you read their boards about why they chose "Hornets" you will find that this name does not just refer to a fierce insect but historically is very meaningful to them as the area was referred to as a "hornet's nest" when the area banded together in times of great strife.I feel that we should release that name back to them to be available if they do get another NBA franchise.
    It is probably true that the name is set for the next two years but if a change is to be made I believe it should come much sooner than that or we will probably be stuck with the present name from now on. For those who like the name "Hornets" I suggest that you read about the background of that name as it applies to the history of the Charalotte area and you will realize that you are fostering the pride of that area and not that of your own.
    Wherever the team goes they will be representing us and we should let the team and the world know that we are proud enough of them to want to give them an appropriate name that makes them solid members of our community, not some other, and when I say community I refer to the whole region they will represent.

Re: Re: Re: New Name For Hornets

Originally posted by Harvey Hornet

WCH, you need to learn to be less opinionated. You should try to follow my humble approach. You will never see me in the middle of chaos!!!
    Yeah...

He's calmed down ten-fold since he can't go to Cht.com anymore.

Originally posted by Hawkeye
    All those who do not wish to read about what some have referred to as the repetitive issue of a name change please click your mouse. Hopefully my comments may find some welcome ears of the newer members, like myself, who were not around before the issue became repetitious to some.
    The main purpose of my original post was to simply state that I, personally, will never be happy with an inherited name no matter what it might be. I did not mean to stir up a sandstorm. However, in view of the response it tells me that the issue is far from settled.

Having been raised in NOLA I know that the people there are extremely proud of their heritage, maybe more so than any other place in the country, and since this is the only NBA team we will ever have in our lifetime I firmly believe that many would like a name reflecting on that pride and not one that reflects on the pride of the city of Charlotte which the name "Hornets" does. If you read their boards about why they chose "Hornets" you will find that this name does not just refer to a fierce insect but historically is very meaningful to them as the area was referred to as a "hornet's nest" when the area banded together in times of great strife.I feel that we should release that name back to them to be available if they do get another NBA franchise.
    It is probably true that the name is set for the next two years but if a change is to be made I believe it should come much sooner than that or we will probably be stuck with the present name from now on. For those who like the name "Hornets" I suggest that you read about the background of that name as it applies to the history of the Charalotte area and you will realize that you are fostering the pride of that area and not that of your own.
    Wherever the team goes they will be representing us and we should let the team and the world know that we are proud enough of them to want to give them an appropriate name that makes them solid members of our community, not some other, and when I say community I refer to the whole region they will represent.
    Relax, Like I said in a previous post, most are not fundamentally against a name change. However none suggested seem to be very appealing. Come up with a good one and I would be inclined to support the change. Most agree and think until a better name can be found this is a non issue
    In America there is New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans everywhere else is Cleveland. - Mark Twain

Originally posted by Hawkeye
    All those who do not wish to read about what some have referred to as the repetitive issue of a name change please click your mouse.
    Until there is an agreeable popular name for the team, Hornets will be the name. I think Shinn and Wooldridge also have alot of money tied up in the name and don't want to release it just because it has no meaning to N.O. It is a nickname regardless of its history which New Orleans is now part of. Alot of blood, sweat and tears went into "capturing the Hornets" . So actually it does have a little meaning here now. I agree a new name would be nice, but I just haven't seen any that grab me like the Jazz or the Hornets. Revelers and Knights that RENFo mentioned are good, but if voted on I think the majority will want to keep the Hornets name. We can still modify the logo and existing colors to suit New Orleans. So we can make it look different than Charlotte's image. I think it will take a great outpouring from the people at this point to change it. And so far that hasn't happened.

Basketball Guru Contributor
    The only name out there I like that I've heard is "Rhythm". Other than that one, I say keep it the Hornets.

Hey dream...

Love your sig, man. One of the best quotes i've every heard. I have to use that sometimes.

Hall of Famer
    How about the Coon @sses, Crawfish, neutria, gators, cajuns, hangovers, pimps, gangstas, canecoyotes (sugar cane), cottonmouths, flying squirrels, mosquitoes, or the Blues?
    If not how bout we get Popeyes to buy out the naming rights to the team and arena, the team would be the Spinach eating m*tha f*ckas and the arena would be Popeyes chicken castle.

Thread Information