Pelicans Report

Thread: Arena Football/New Orleans VooDoo

New FULL ssn ticket holder! Hornet-Saint's Avatar

VooDoo Arena Football/New Orleans VooDoo

It seems like the AFL is beginning to turn the corner and become a player for the sports entertainment dollar. How long before it overtakes hockey in popularity? Now that the AFL is on ESPN, and will be covered by ESPN, I think it is going to finally stablize. Not saying it is going to or even trying to join the "Fab 4", but it took many years for the NFL and NBA to stablize.

Now that NFL owners are buying teams and attendance has dramatically increased in the past 3 years alone, I think we'll stop seeing rapid franchise movements, which will lead into established fan bases, increased popularity and exposure. Also, EA Sports now has Arena Football for Playstation2.

I'm going to watch all the VooDoo games, but I'm especially interested to see the VooDoo's 2 ESPN games this year. The VooDoo have already sold out the season to season tickets.

Anyone else that used to laugh at the AFL thinking about watching the VooDoo or following the league? Guys??

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet-Saint
    The VooDoo have already sold out the season to season tickets.
    I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. I called the Saints this morning to check on something regarding my season ticket account and was offered Voodoo season tickets in the lower bowl. I think they will sell a ton of season tickets and might sell out the season. But they aren't there yet.

Anyone else that used to laugh at the AFL thinking about watching the VooDoo or following the league? Guys??
    Count me in that number. I won't live and die by the VooDoo like I do the Saints. But I'm much more interested in the VooDoo than I was in the Night back in 1990-91. The Night played in the Superdome and I came away from a couple of games thinking that it was "gimmick" football.

But the product is more refined. The league is much more stable with all of the NFL money poured into it. It's definitely stepped up in class and the games are fun.

So I'm on board with the VooDoo.
    A football game can't stop hurricanes.

It can't fix levees.

Or rebuild houses.

But it can let a city know...

That it's a city once again.

Welcome back, New Orleans.

I've always enjoyed the Area League Games. I used to have season tickets to the New Orleans Night....

I've only been to a few VooDoo games, but have enjoyed them, they're great entertainment.

As for overtaking Hockey, that probably has already happened....

Hockey is relegated to regional networks and Versus (OLN). It's All Star Game barely made a blip in the ratings.....

You're probably right about the ticket thing. I probably heard that they were GOING to sell out, not that they did already. My bad.

Yeah, that's something how NHL can't even get on ESPN but a 20 year old league has finally made it. I wish teams would stop folding/moving so rivalries can develop. The Orlando/Tampa I-4 rivalry is huge as both teams have won championships, and both have been in the league (and well supported) for over a decade.

Grand Rapids has consistently been averaging less than 10,000 per game. Now, I know OKC lost their AFL team and got an AF2 team (minor league Arena ball), but maybe the Rampage should look into relocating to OKC.

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    I've always enjoyed Arena Football. I've never taken it seriously though. It's sports entertainment with the empahsis being on entertainment to me. I'll admit that I'm looking at it in a more serious manner though. The Arena League has more name players than ever before. Their presence on ESPN will most certainly elevate the presence and legitimacy of the league.

Like Sli, I don't know that I'll ever care at an advanced level, but I'm certainly feeling more strongly about it as a sport than before. That said, it's still an entertainment thing more than a serious sporting event to me.

An Arena 2 team is starting play this spring in north west Houston. The arena is around the corner from my house. I bought season tickets this past weekend. I'll admit that I'm looking forward to the season. It will be fun regardless of the outcome of the games. Thats what I like about Arena Football.

The Opinion Business Contributor gerryv's Avatar
    this site has better ratings vs the NHL.....arena football ????....gimmie my pills !!
    I gotta go take a nap...xoxo
    1-What does not move is dead.What has speed,and mobilty has more possibilities,more life...quickness creates luck.

2- Your Defense is only as good as your HELP/ROTATING defenders.

3-Games are won while the ball is in the air.

4- You design your roster to win a 7 game series not a one game confrontation.

Is this thing on?
    Also, EA Sports now has Arena Football for Playstation2.
    The second release of the game, "Arena Football Road to Glory" will be out Feb. 27th. On this years version you can play as an AFL or AF2 team.

BTW, I wasn't at all interested in Arena football until we had our own team. I went to most of the Voodoo games the first season and got hooked pretty quickly. Had season tickets for the second season and will be back this year.

V's a HATER!

As long as New Orleans is in front of a team, I'll follow them as best I can. Like most, it won't be anywhere along the line of the Saints - but it's definately something I'd like to keep my eye on.

Can you play as the VooDoo in the new AFL game?
    WRau1- "I seriously don't know how NOH fans are able to listen to these idiots every game. Every play one of them are screaming as if someone just got shot. "Paul driving to the hoop, OMG, WHAT A LAYUP! JESUS HIMSELF COULDN'T HAVE MADE A BETTER WIDE OPEN LAYUP, NOH IA AWEAOME!"

Is this thing on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike V
    Can you play as the VooDoo in the new AFL game?
    They should have every active team in the league.

I wasn't aware that our roster was as full as it looks to be - http://www.govoodoo.com/roster.cfm

I'd buy it. The AFL should make for an incredibly interesting video game. Everyone loves the deep pass in Madden

Is this thing on?
    The first Arena Football game for PS2 was okay. It was fun, and a good starting point. This version should be better.

It was cool to play as the New Orleans Night on last years game though.

Grand Rapids has consistently been averaging less than 10,000 per game. Now, I know OKC lost their AFL team and got an AF2 team (minor league Arena ball), but maybe the Rampage should look into relocating to OKC.

That's something I have never understood. GR has a team but Detroit doesn't. I know the Detroit Drive played from 1988-1993 and then the Detroit Fury played from 2001-2004, but why hasn't lasted longer than that?

Thread Information