Upgraded to Tropical Storm Gustav
This one has the potential to get into the Gulf and needs to be watched.
Folks on Gulf Coast Weather site are speculating on this becoming a major storm threatening Gulf Coast within 7 days.
Definitely bears watching.
A football game can't stop hurricanes.
It can't fix levees.
Or rebuild houses.
But it can let a city know...
That it's a city once again.
Welcome back, New Orleans.
Gotta watch this one...looks like a Gulf Coast strike somewhere as a hurricane--possibly a major hurricane.
if i lose everything again because of a stom named GUSTAV im going to be PO'ED. I hope for the best but expect the worse now once a storm makes into the gulf.
We've got plenty of time to watch....it could hit anywhere in the Gulf of Mexico. It is highly unlikely that lightning would strike twice in the same spot with Gustav and Katrina, however, a bigger concern would be a possible evacuation of the city if the storm gets too close. Be ready for the inconvenience more than anything else.
For those of you living in the New Orleans area, is the city ready to withstand maybe a Cat 3 or greater storm that seems to be on track for Louisiana or Texas? Whats the chatter around the city about this storm?
I love the Hornets, but now am all on board with the PELS.... Geaux Pelicans!
Last I heard they would block water from entering the canal's which hopefully will help minimize flooding.. The levee's I think are mostly ready for a 2 from what I've read in the papers. It's a travesty that we can't get better levee's for the city..
While I like the Gulf Coast Weather site, some of the regular posters over there go into panic mode way too fast based on long-term model forecasting that isn't accurate this far out (5 to 7 days +). You need to learn how to filter out the extremes and understand that most of the people over there are arm-chair meteorologists. You do have some of our current and former meteorologists who post over there, but some of the regular guys are a bit twitchy.....Originally Posted by Slidell Hornet
Right, you can't panic on a seven-day projection. You get an general idea of what may happen, but you can't put too much stock into it. It's like the extended forecasts on the weather reports...for the most part, you only wanna look at the first few days...past that, it's only good at generalities...in terms of specifics, it's a crapshoot.
Originally Posted by NicosiaBuzz377
So what would the name get pissed?
Originally Posted by roturn
BTW- Is this a creole blue background?
Louisiana emergency preparedness officials met several times this morning to begin planning for possible evacuations if dangerous Hurricane Gustav approaches the northern Gulf of Mexico coastline this weekend or early next week.http://www.nola.com/hurricane/index....or_gustav.html
Fox sports new home for the hornets
Possibly going the same track as the one earlier in the year that hit the Texas/Mexico coast.
I have no idea....Originally Posted by roturn
Hey guys...here is another model that you guys can look at.
GFDL wants to take it to the west of NOLA, but that doesn't help with the NE quad going over the city. Hopefully it keeps tracking/trending to the west.
The NHC wants to hold to it's course that's further east than most models.
The other models keep trending west. Just have to keep an eye on this one.
The GFDL is the most trustworthy model issued. Right now, it shows Gustav making landfall on the Central Louisiana coast. Like Venture said, that would put the city on the worst part of the storm. Acccording to GFDL, it would make landfall in LA with winds of about 156 mph. That's the beginning of Cat. 5 status. Obviously, that's still very far out, so we have plently of time. Still, that doesn't mean to be lazy with this storm and start paying close attention a couple of days before landfall. We need to monitor this system as best as we possibly can. I don't want to start panic here, but we need to prepare for the worst. You need to start thinking about what you're going to do should Gus stay on its current path, which means that you should probably have a preliminary evac. plan by this weekend. Best of luck to y'all.
Yeah, I know this way ealry to predict, but with it going into the wide open gulf. The odds that we might get something are pretty high.
There is a "HIGH" that may protect the entire gluf coast and steer this thing down to Cancun, if you listened to Bob Breck.
Gustav's losing a bit right now - downgraded to a TS, but will probably restrengthen - but the NHC still insists on that track off our coast. I'm guessing that they're waiting to see what happens the next day or two before they move the 5 day track away from the central LA coast.
But they have not factored in the "High" yet. Too early to tell I guess, you predict down the middle and you can't go wrong for now. In other words "They don't know yet."
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)