Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Charlotte Hornets Goodbye

Rookie

Charlotte Hornets Goodbye

I didn't think i'd have been affected this much by the move. I'm in tears as i type this. Goodbye hornets. NO enjoy your team.
    CHARLOTTE HORNETS BASKETBALL: 1988-2002.

take care everyone. bye.

Hey george and ray, get me down for a club seat!

I understand

Trust me, I know how you feel. I went through the loss of the Jazz, not to mention the couple of times it looked like we were going to lose the Saints, so I've been there. Best of luck, and I hope Charlotte gets another team (maybe the Magic?) soon.

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar

Re: Charlotte Hornets Goodbye

Originally posted by goodluck
    I didn't think i'd have been affected this much by the move. I'm in tears as i type this. Goodbye hornets. NO enjoy your team.
    CHARLOTTE HORNETS BASKETBALL: 1988-2002.

take care everyone. bye.
    It's posts like this that make it hard for me to stay upset with Charlotte in the collective whole. I am sorry. I feel your pain. I hope you don't have to wait as long as I did for a replacement team. Goodluck, goodluck. peace, brother...

Time for some football!!!

Starter
    dude your a true diehard.......i feel for you. I know how broken up i would be if the saints ever left.....i get choked up even thinking of that. Im sorry it had to be this way. Fans like you are welcome down here anyday!!!

Basketball Guru Contributor
    He's gone you guys....I always felt for the guy....He was always scared it would come to this. I could see he was emotional about this from his posts in the past. We'll all be that good too!!! I already have a pretty serious bond to the team. But, I doubt we'll see Goodluck again.

You've always been a class act, goodluck. I hope, for fans like you, that Charlotte has an NBA team very soon. Cheers.

As happy as I am right now, that is how deeply I hurt for the Hornets fans like yourself goodluck.

Also, Charlotte-Jason, Blair, Bugs, BUCKO, and CharlotteDude.

Guys y'all are great.

The Franchise
    Hang in there, goodluck, and may God bless you!
    HANGIN' IN THE PELICANS ROOST!!

Yeah, goodluck, I feel ya. I haven't posted here in a while, but I'm back. I didn't think this was gonna hit me this much either, but hearing that buzzer and knowing that I would never see them again hurts. I am gonna miss the guys. I was hoping they could pull it out tonight so I could get one more shot to watch them. I'm just a broke college student, but if they would have pulled this game out, I would have bought the absolute best seat money could buy for the game. Box office or scalper, it wouldn't matter.
    But, anyway, they just couldn't do it tonight. It was a pitiful last game, and you hate to see it all with Baron fouled out.

Baron, PJ, Mash, Wesley.... Thanks guys, it was an awesome ride while it was here. Muggsy, Alonzo (Grandmama) ..... you guys were great. Kurt Rambis, you were the first Hornet I was really old enough to have as a favorite. You're the first Hornet I really remember. We may get another team, but it just won't be the same. There's never gonna be another Muggsy, another Grandmama, another group of players that will mean so much. Those were awesome times. The Hive got so loud sometimes, it was unreal. I actually remember the *HORNETS* trying to quite the crowd during a close game so they could hear themselves in the huddle.

But, I really can't blame the ownership for moving the franchise. It's their team, they can move it as they choose. Mr. Shinn and his constant threat of moving along with other minor factors basically ruined the existing fan base, and he had no other options if he wanted to have his new arena and his increased revenue. He wanted an arena at no cost to himself or the franchise, and he got just that in New Orleans.

New Orleans, I've got absolutely no hard feelings toward your city. You guys did absolutely nothing but be the recipients of an awesome franchise. New Orleans, enjoy the team and support them - I know you will. This really does hurt though - I've only been able to actually know about and support the Hornets for the last half of their stay here, (I'm 20 now) but it was an incredible period. They just ran a little retrospective showing Hornets moments/memories/players/fans, and it actually did bring tears. This has went on a little longer than I expected, but there's a lot of emotion here. To the players, coaches, fans and anyone involved with the Charlotte Hornets, you will be missed. Thanks for the memories guys.
    *Off to Ebay to buy a few last pieces of memoribilia*

New Orleans, I've got absolutely no hard feelings toward your city. You guys did absolutely nothing but be the recipients of an awesome franchise. New Orleans, enjoy the team and support them - I know you will. This really does hurt though - I've only been able to actually know about and support the Hornets for the last half of their stay here, (I'm 20 now) but it was an incredible period. They just ran a little retrospective showing Hornets moments/memories/players/fans, and it actually did bring tears. This has went on a little longer than I expected, but there's a lot of emotion here. To the players, coaches, fans and anyone involved with the Charlotte Hornets, you will be missed. Thanks for the memories guys.
    Class post and well written. Hope to see you on the board again.

Look, I didn't think I would be saying this, but reading these posts from the various fans of the Charlotte Hornets is really bringing a tear to my eye. :tears:

I didn't think I would be this deeply affected by the move, but the finality of it all really makes me realize what it is that the fans in Charlotte are feeling. I remember the day the Jazz left New Orleans. I was just a child, but I swore at that point in time that I would never pull for that team again.

I was hurt.

I was angry.

I felt like I had been abandoned by the team that I had worshiped for 5 years.

And now, reading these posts from the fans of Charlotte, it all comes back. Y'all are not just loosing an NBA team. Y'all are loosing a part of yourselves - like having your hearts ripped out.

I truly and honestly hope that your wait for the return of the NBA does not take 23 years as it did here.

Take time to grieve, but mobilize and let the powers that be know that the basketball fans in Charlotte want a new arena and want the NBA to return. You the fans deserve that.

Please don't be strangers. Although we didn't always see eye-to-eye, we truly enjoyed our exchanges with you the fans.

Peace and good luck.:tears:

Originally posted by say-what
    Y'all are not just loosing an NBA team. Y'all are loosing a part of yourselves
    i heard of this guy who lost part of himself in a vacuum

Originally posted by CharlotteDude

Don't have much more to say and would not be able to write anything better than what others have said about the end.

Best wishes for the team and hope they are as successful down there as they once were here.
    Dude, that picture says way too much, you're not making it easy. :tears:

Good luck and best wishes. I can't say any more than I previously wrote.

Draft Pick
    It didn't sink in for me until the final buzzer tonight..........

I guess it's true that you don't know what you've got til it's gone.

Banned

well its over, and it hurts....i remember playing basketball in my backyard when i was young, and pretending to be Mugsy, because i was the same height. i remember pretending there was 2 secs left on the clock and the hornets were down by 2 and i fired a 3 pointer to win the game....

its has if a part of my childhood is gone.

and i'll make a quick remark about the Nascar situation here....if RJ Reynolds pulls the Winston from Charlotte, they are making a mistake.....There are over 200,000 seats at Charlotte Motor Speedway, i read in the paper this morning that fewer than 10,000 seats are availble for the Winston this weekend. if anyone deserves the Winston its Charlotte.

Draft Pick
    I'm bummed... the Hornets are yours now. It was rooting for the Bugs all these years that made me a basketball fan; before them, I never paid the NBA much attention. I feel like I just had a root canal (apologies to any dentists reading this...).
    I would like to thank those of you who chose NOT to go to charlotte.com and trash us, and especially Harvey_Hornet for making a graceful closing post. Good luck with the team and be sure to keep a close eye on potential apathy, it's a franchise killer.

You know ... I have done my share of ribbing on the smack board all done in fun .. NO is a great town getting a very good team.

I have to say throughout this saga I have only attended a few games at the coliseum this year due to all the crap. Last night (05/15) I sat and watch the last quarter hoping/praying they would win and play one more time here. It wasn't till that last few minutes when the outcome was set that I truly realized the loss of the team. I have been to many games throughout the years, taken my son to his first NBA game (hopefully in a few years it won't be his last).

Good luck NO ... I hope things turn out better for you and here is to Charlotte .. back in the NBA in .... 2007 ?? (With a new city government, owners ... think Stern will still be around? :-( )

The Franchise
    I listened to the game on the Hornets radio broadcast last night on NBA.com(Audio League Pass), and Bob Licht and Gil McGregor did a retrospective of the Hornets era in Charlotte. I have to say that it was very sad hearing all of those historic radio moments, and I just sat for a while trying to feel the pain of Hornets' fans in Charlotte. There was no way I could escape it. I remember the Jazz receiving a 22-0 vote to relocate to Utah, and I just felt so much pain I wished it wasn't so.

I know this doesn't make it any less, but hang in there Charlotte fans. You'll make it through. That's a promise.

This is truly heartbreaking.....its finally setting in.....

Hall of Famer
    I am trying to ask myself how I would react if we lost the Saints or if we lost the Hornets who we just got, I would be crushed, Especially the Saints because they have been here so long and we have gotten so attached, I am sure after 14 years in Charlotte, you were really attached to them as well.

I feel for you man, Good luck in getting rid of those moron politicians and city leaders who helped mess this up.

LSU Fans, Check out our LSU Site, BAYOUBENGALS.COM , Sister site of SR and NOH.

Rookie
    The Hornets retrospective shown locally on Channel 64 after the game last night was unbelieveably emotional for all of us true fans. Then I heard an audio retrospective on WBT AM radio this morning at 0530 and got choked up again. Then I read the lovefest on this thread from Charlotte and New Orleans posters alike and it comes rushing back again. It does feel like our hearts have been torn out, and the reality and finality of it all hurts so much. Even if we get a new team, it will not be the same as the Muggsy, LJ, Dell, Hugo, Baron, et al amalgam that this team represents for all of us.

Thanks to all the NOLA posters for allowing us to grieve and sharing that empty feeling. Go ahead and embrace this team like we did - that is, after all, what makes having a team so great. The opportunity to lose yourself in the team and games and feel a connection that inspires hope and passion.

Rookie
    you know, the New Orleans guys have gathered to celebrate and share their good fortune. any interest from Charlotte posters in grabbing a beer sometime to reminisce and commiserate?Maybe I could get Bob Newhart to come and do a little group therapy...

I feel compelled to add one more thing to my previous post.

I am against relocation. I developed a hatred towards relocation when the Jazz left. I was against the relocation of the Grizzlies. I have been against the relocation of Canadian hockey teams (NHL) to the U.S. You want to talk about die-hard fans? I think most of us on this board are against relocation, especially those of us who remember the Jazz. We have been taunted with relocation by the Saints on and off since the 1980s. It truly sucks. To be sure, most if not all of us have put aside our distaste for relocation this time because we are the beneficiaries of this relocation. We feel that this is some sort of righting of the wrong created by the NBA and the Jazz in 1979. I don't think we can be blamed for that, but we are being a bit hypocritical about the matter and I freely admit that. I know that franchise owners have numerous rights including the right to move their franchise. I can also be empathetic towards an owner's plight regarding his franchise in whatever city. But from a purely fan's point of view, I am against relocation. Charlotte, I feel your pain. I wish you guys didn't have to go through this. It makes me remember what I have felt for so long. I agree with the others who have stated their hope that you do not have to wait as long as we did to get another team. In addition, learn whatever lessons that are out there, and hold onto your next team. After all, this is New Orleans' next challenge. We got 'em, but now we need to keep 'em. Hopefully we have learned our lessons. Peace...
    Last edited by West Coast Hornet; 05-16-2002 at 02:44 PM.

Thread Information