Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HEY - Robarchek Strikes Back!

OP ED HEY - Robarchek Strikes Back!

The Observer's nutty columnist, DOUG ROBARCHEK has struck again.

Hey Doug - WE GOT 'EM -

New Orleans doesn't need insecurity
    DOUG ROBARCHEK

New Orleans is a nice town. We've always liked it.

We like the fact that it is what it is: a big X-rated Disneyland run for the sole purpose of separating tourists from their bucks. It's very efficient.

We also like the real city there, the old, historic European city of people going about the daily business of living.

That's why we were so surprised at how insecure and defensive some residents are.

Oh, every town has losers with nothing to do but stand guard, ready to overreact to any slight, real or imagined. But, as the Hornets' soap opera progressed, we were surprised at the e-mailed outrage over our gentle jibes.

If we implied that the bars on Bourbon Street used shills to drum up business, the response was swift and intellectual: Charlotte stinks.

If we said New Orleans never was a hotbed of NBA enthusiasm, we were cut down with rapierlike logic: Oh yeah? Well, Charlotte really stinks.

And if we questioned whether New Orleans made a smart deal with its heavy subsidies to the team, our argument was instantly refuted: Charlotte stinks bad.

In fact, we're thinking that, by golly, maybe George and Ray are getting the following they deserve. And vice versa.

The ideas and opinions expressed in OutFront are not necessarily those of The Observer or Knight Ridder Newspapers Inc. Or the cast of "The Love Boat," or Lyle Bettger, or Mr. Philbrick, our ninth-grade civics teacher. Or anybody, including us. Hell, we just like to stir things up sometimes.

We didn't start it, but we sure did finish it!!!

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar

Re: HEY - Robarchek Strikes Back!

Originally posted by say-what
    The Observer's nutty columnist, DOUG ROBARCHEK has struck again.

Hey Doug - WE GOT 'EM -

New Orleans doesn't need insecurity
    DOUG ROBARCHEK

New Orleans is a nice town. We've always liked it.

We like the fact that it is what it is: a big X-rated Disneyland run for the sole purpose of separating tourists from their bucks. It's very efficient.

We also like the real city there, the old, historic European city of people going about the daily business of living.

That's why we were so surprised at how insecure and defensive some residents are.

Oh, every town has losers with nothing to do but stand guard, ready to overreact to any slight, real or imagined. But, as the Hornets' soap opera progressed, we were surprised at the e-mailed outrage over our gentle jibes.

If we implied that the bars on Bourbon Street used shills to drum up business, the response was swift and intellectual: Charlotte stinks.

If we said New Orleans never was a hotbed of NBA enthusiasm, we were cut down with rapierlike logic: Oh yeah? Well, Charlotte really stinks.

And if we questioned whether New Orleans made a smart deal with its heavy subsidies to the team, our argument was instantly refuted: Charlotte stinks bad.

In fact, we're thinking that, by golly, maybe George and Ray are getting the following they deserve. And vice versa.

The ideas and opinions expressed in OutFront are not necessarily those of The Observer or Knight Ridder Newspapers Inc. Or the cast of "The Love Boat," or Lyle Bettger, or Mr. Philbrick, our ninth-grade civics teacher. Or anybody, including us. Hell, we just like to stir things up sometimes.
    Absolutely pathetic! I know that guy got lots of email from his first piece about 6-8 weeks ago. I can assure you that my email to him contained arguments other than "Charlotte stinks." As a matter of fact, I think I forgot to use that argument.

we were surprised at the e-mailed outrage over our gentle jibes.
    That's what I like about some Charlotteans, at least they can admit that they were the ones to start this sht, even if the admission is implicit. Notice how the admission is covered up with words sounding of "we were just joking with you guys, geez." "Gentle jibes," huh?

This has been going on for so long that I really have no sympathy for the city of CLT as a collective whole losing their team. I feel for the civil, regular fans, though.

By the way, did the Southeastern US wake up in a pissymood today? First the article out of the ATL, and then this CLT idiot. What is going on? Maybe the humidity is creeping its way north already.

Time for some football!!!

I have come to the conclusion that Charlotte must be a hotbed for journalistic FAILURES. The people who "write" for their publications have to be the rejects from the remainder of the country (and many other countries also). They sound alot like some of the posters on clt.com. Nothing but whiners and losers!

Originally posted by HORNETSFAN
    I have come to the conclusion that Charlotte must be a hotbed for journalistic FAILURES.
    This from the city that brings you Buddy D?????

Aren't you guys just a little bit touchy?

Robarchek writes a HUMOR column. It's supposed to be FUNNY. Nobody takes him seriously. Everything he writes is ridiculous.

Just like Packer. Nobody takes anything he says seriously either, except you guys, I guess.

I don't take offense at being called a loser or a whiner because I know it's not true. Lighten up a little.

As much as we give BuddyD a hard time he is, imho, a terrific journalist. The pieces that he writes are very good. What he is not is a sports talk show host. Radio is not his ideal medium.

I tried to catch his act last night but I think he was off the air by the time we could receive WWL.

Originally posted by HORNETSFAN
    I have come to the conclusion that Charlotte must be a hotbed for journalistic FAILURES.
    That and Atlanta...

Originally posted by Pirate1974

Robarchek writes a HUMOR column. It's supposed to be FUNNY. Nobody takes him seriously. Everything he writes is ridiculous.

Just like Packer. Nobody takes anything he says seriously either, except you guys, I guess.

I don't take offense at being called a loser or a whiner because I know it's not true. Lighten up a little.
    This comment is not a direct shot at any poster...

Too many comments that have been made about my city are either not true, embellished or down right hateful. For some reason, certain CLT and ATL "newspapers" have found it necessary to attack New Orleans. Lets beat up the little guy. It will make us feel good about ourselves. Now that the deal is done, and these people who predicted doom and gloom for our city have been proven wrong, this is their way of dealing with it. Trivializing their once hateful, wrong or embellished statements. Now we should lighten up. It was all in fun. It was soft jibes. BS. You guys who are trying to weasel out of your hate and lies with this garbage can kiss Harvey's @$$. To hell with my grits. I said kiss my @$$.

Originally posted by Harvey Hornet

Too many comments that have been made about my city are either not true, embellished or down right hateful. For some reason, certain CLT and ATL "newspapers" have found it necessary to attack New Orleans. Lets beat up the little guy. It will make us feel good about ourselves. Now that the deal is done, and these people who predicted doom and gloom for our city have been proven wrong, this is their way of dealing with it. Trivializing their once hateful, wrong or embellished statements. Now we should lighten up. It was all in fun. It was soft jibes. BS. You guys who are trying to weasel out of your hate and lies with this garbage can kiss Harvey's @$$. To hell with my grits. I said kiss my @$$.
    Amen, brother!!!

Based on everything I have read since this started, I stand by my comments.

Hall of Famer
    Originally posted by Harvey Hornet

You got to like Harvey, How can you not?

Excellent Harvey, Well said and another Amen Brother from me.

LSU Fans, Check out our LSU Site, BAYOUBENGALS.COM , Sister site of SR and NOH.

Originally posted by Whodat32

You got to like Harvey, How can you not?

Excellent Harvey, Well said and another Amen Brother from me.
    If I was down there, I'd definitely want him on my team.

Hall of Famer
    Originally posted by Frustrated

So intelligent there Frustrated.

By the way, thats a good name for you, but if you add Sexually in front of it then it would be perfect .

For you Frustrated...

Well Whodat, you sure can downgrade the level of a conversation. But if it's making you think like that, I better change it.

Now back to Harvey:

There once was a Hornet named Harvey
    Drives Superior Honda’s CR-V
    He teaches his flock
    He’s the ******** of the walk
    Cause his flock’s not yet Hornets just larvae

Hall of Famer
    Well Whodat, you sure can downgrade the level of a conversation. But if it's making you think like that, I better change it.

Now back to Harvey:

He teaches his flock
    Keep your day job as well, if you have one.

Hall of Famer

Thanks man, that means alot coming from you.

Now back to Harvey:

He teaches his flock
    That is funny. How did you know Harvey drove a Honda. Actually bought it from a dealership in Harvey named Superior Honda!!! NO CRV though, Harvey is a sun roof down Accord driving kind of guy.

Hall of Famer
    Oui Oui

How did you know Harvey drove a Honda

Just S**t Luck. You know how many words rhyme with Harvey?
    Like none. Thought of CR-V and researched Harvey, LA for Honda dealerships. GOD! I GOTTA GET A LIFE.
    Last edited by Frustrated; 05-15-2002 at 02:55 PM.

Hall of Famer
    GOD! I GOTTA GET A LIFE.
    You said it, You said it. Enough said!!!

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    Originally posted by Pirate1974

This is almost exactly what another CLT poster said after the first piece. Well, I guess you will get the same basic response from before.

First, New Orleans' humor columnist have apparently not found the need to write a humor column which tends to poke fun at a certain city.

Second, if it is funny, it isn't funny to us. Perhaps it is funny to you. This is exactly why you guys are being perceived as whiners and losers. Can it be true that the only way for you to get a laugh is to poke jabs at another city? Pathetic, absolutely pathetic. If you are trying to defend this loser trying to make fun of another city for his readers, then you, too, are a loser. I really don't want to call you a loser. Perhaps you should just recognize that perception is reality. What you are reading on this board is our perception that this guy is a freakin' loser idiot. Even worse, it degrades your newspaper that he is allowed to print such garbarge, which means that your newspaper is garbage, too.

CLT, we don't care what you think of us. Go ahead and demonstrate your insecurity by trashing and bashing us. Your reputation is secure!

Now ask me the important question!

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    It sure is strange, and I could be wrong, but I have yet to read a negitive article about CHT from the NO's newpaper. In fact it seems, many newspapers across the country are taking extra steps to not write bad things about CHT (some have taken the city to task for not supporting a winner, but most give them sympathy tone). You would think their writers would give this a rest, or atleast a different perspective. But as you know newspapers print what sells, and hate sells in CHT right now. The team moved, the community failed to keep the team. Over and done, I mean do these CHT papers want to keep writing NO's will fail articles all next year as well to please the population, or do they really hate the NBA and will finally let it rest. We know, CHT is a wonderful place with all the banks and NASCAR you can handle, you hated the owners, NBA and wanted the team to go anyway (we have all read that enough) . . . it happened and no amount of negitive articles can change that.
    Last edited by NYKF Hornet; 05-15-2002 at 03:24 PM.

Thread Information