Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: which name sounds better?

Question which name sounds better?

NEW ORLEANS NEONIGHTS* or LOUISIANA PURCHASE

*(pronounced NEE-O-NIGHTS)-rolls quick off the tongue.
    please take in to consideration that we already have a nice guy sounding team.lets not be saints anymore!

i think neonights is pretty cool,at least better than purchase.

Starter
    neither, keep hornets or take jazz. The purchase would be a freaking joke throught not only the league, but the whole country

neonights reminds me of the KKK

Starter
    i say update the logo and mascot, tweak the uniforms and thats it. Hornets is fine with me.

Originally posted by Houma Hornet
    neonights reminds me of the KKK
    well what about the celtics?

If we can't wrestle Jazz from Utah, I want it to be Hornets. No other names I have heard work. Matter of fact, they all suck. (Only exception, Pistols in honor of Maravich, but we all know the PC would not let it happen)

Originally posted by Harvey Hornet
    If we can't wrestle Jazz from Utah, I want it to be Hornets. No other names I have heard work. Matter of fact, they all suck. (Only exception, Pistols in honor of Maravich, but we all know the PC would not let it happen)
    why would you want the tainted jazz name?and especially the hornets?c'mon people have some identity!

Originally posted by southdownus

why would you want the tainted jazz name?and especially the hornets?c'mon people have some identity!
    Come up with a decent name. Some of us have been trying since January and can't come up with anything decent.

Originally posted by Harvey Hornet

Come up with a decent name. Some of us have been trying since January and can't come up with anything decent.
    say whats wrong with neonights?if n.o. could'nt be associated with neon nights i could understand.it could be called nights for short, [email protected] a knight could be the mascot.
    and to the person who thought it sounds racist,well i can't see the relation,other than nights ryme with knights,so what?

Unless we can get the Jazz back (it's a personal thing - no taint to it) Hornets it shall be.

The name cannot change this year and seriously, after one year of being the New Orleans Hornets, there will be no change. The powers that be in marketing will not allow it.

Originally posted by say-what
    Unless we can get the Jazz back (it's a personal thing - no taint to it) Hornets it shall be.

The name cannot change this year and seriously, after one year of being the New Orleans Hornets, there will be no change. The powers that be in marketing will not allow it.
    well i guess your right...........if you noticed, NEOnights has the word "neo" in it; that means something new. i guess n.o. should'nt be associated with anything new and original.sorry,go hornets!

well i guess your right...........if you noticed, NEOnights has the word "neo" in it; that means something new. i guess n.o. should'nt be associated with anything new and original.sorry,go hornets!
    Has nothing to do with association with something new and original. Personally, I don't like the suggestion NEONIGHTS (if you want an honest answer - I think it sucks - we had an Arena Football Team called the Night and that was the dumbest name I ever heard of, until now - nothing personal) and as for the other suggestion - it has become a derogatory phrase when applied to the team because of its use by CLT posters.

Starter
    i think any name besides Hornets and Jazz that have been mentioned is horribile. (with the exeption of Pistols, but that wont fly because of its reference to firearms) Louisiana Purchase is by far one of the worst names mentioned for any team in any sport EVER. Neonights sounds like a NBDL or some middle aged softball league name. I PRAY we dont even consider either one of those if the team chooses to change names. I love hornets actually.

Originally posted by HornetDJ377
    Louisiana Purchase is by far one of the worst names mentioned for any team in any sport EVER.
    It is right up there with Houston Texans , Buffallo Bills and SuperSonics as the suckiest

texans takes the cake though

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    'southdownus' I have no idea what a neonight is; but I do know I do not want it put in an example with the good name 'knicks'. Sorry, but for some reason it does have a racist tone. Like most names it sounds kind of "XFL" or minor league.

Originally posted by nyknicksfan
    'southdownus' I have no idea what a neonight is; but I do know I do not want it put in an example with the good name 'knicks'. Sorry, but for some reason it does have a racist tone. Like most names it sounds kind of "XFL" or minor league.
    ask how many people what a knick is.they might say knickerbocker.then you ask whats a knickerbocker?sorry, i dunno.
    i guess cross,sheet,rope,when these words are mentioned they also have racial overtones.my reasons for thinking name goes well:1.it has a ring to it.
    2.you can associate the name with the city.
    3.it's more intimidating than anything i've heard.
    4.it is original.
    5.and it can be viewed in 2 different ways-neon nights,like
    were accostomed to here in n.o. and neo nights like a new
    night.plus there is potential for a cool mascot.
    if you have a better suggestion,lets hear it.it has to be something brand new and original.not the bucs,not the jazz,and certainly not the hornets,cuz mark my words,there will be an outcry for a name change.the jazz will stay in utah and charlotte will get it's name back.now the real challenge:TO HAVE OUR VERY OWN IDENTITY!!!!

We will have our own identity as the NEW ORLEANS HORNETS.

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    No neo nights sounds like an order of the KKK, so the tone of the word has a racist sound. This is silly. It sounds like a minor league football team or a pro soccer team. A Knickerbocker is a New York settler. And I was born and raised in NO, so I'm not some outsider who is sensitive to PC overtones. The name is dumb, and everyone else is too polite to tell you. Plus your points are not valid. It does not have a ring to it, unless you like crappy minorleague nicknames that degrade a community. It does not associate with the city. How in the world is it intimadting? I'll give you this . . . it is definitely orginal and you should take full credit for it. 5. is not even a point just an opinion and you still habe not giving a real defintion of the term. I don't have a better name to give you, but I know I would think of something very quick if that name was forced on any team or household pet.

Sorry.

How in the world is it intimadting?
    intimidating only to african americans,,,
    whats next getting david duke to be the mascott??
    Last edited by STD; 05-15-2002 at 01:45 AM.

Starter
    a knickerbocker is a type of pants

No neo nights sounds like an order of the KKK, so the tone of the word has a racist sound. This is silly. It sounds like a minor league football team or a pro soccer team. A Knickerbocker is a New York settler. And I was born and raised in NO, so I'm not some outsider who is sensitive to PC overtones. The name is dumb, and everyone else is too polite to tell you. Plus your points are not valid. It does not have a ring to it, unless you like crappy minorleague nicknames that degrade a community. It does not associate with the city. How in the world is it intimadting? I'll give you this . . . it is definitely orginal and you should take full credit for it. 5. is not even a point just an opinion and you still habe not giving a real defintion of the term. I don't have a better name to give you, but I know I would think of something very quick if that name was forced on any team or household pet.

Sorry.
    responses to your comments-like bullets to a target.
    1.minor league teams have names like,dragons or fire.common sounding names.we both agree NEONIGHTS is original.
    2.so i suppose celtics sound less racial?c'mon lets not be so narrowminded!you ever heard of the black knights?it's a black organization,tell them it sounds racist!
    3.it does associate with the city,ask anyone;that is if your really from around here.
    4.it is intimidating when you consider it's mascot.i would have to say an armoured knight is alot more intimidating than a little sting bug!
    5.definition:it actually has 2-one being a NEW NIGHT the other being a night lit up with neon lights making it a neon night.
    the bottom line is almost every team name sucks,wizards,knicks,lakers,mavs,supersonics all fit into the suck catagory.all im saying is if we are gonna name the team something sucky,might as well be original about it.

Originally posted by Houma Hornet
    intimidating only to african americans,,,
    whats next getting david duke to be the mascott??
    just say we got the celtics.what would you say then ,the little fighting irish man has to go?i know judging from lack of creativity that you would insist on keeping the celtics name.and here is a challenge:find me some facts other than your 200 year old opinion, that neonights is racist.i bet it would be easier to find racial epitaph regarding the celtics.peace.

2.so i suppose celtics sound less racial
    cetics is an old name they wont change it , but you can't go naming new teams racialy offensive sounding names,,, , can you name a team the Savages or Japs just because the redskins and indians use offensive name?? plus even if neo nights didnt sound like a white supremisists group , it still sucks
    Last edited by STD; 05-15-2002 at 02:56 AM.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Houma Hornet
    cetics is an old name they wont change it , but you can't go naming new teams racialy offensive sounding names,,, , can you name a team the Savages or Japs just because the redskins and indians use offensive name?? plus even if neo nights wasnt racist it still sucks [/QUOTE
    your reachin' man!your making your own definition to the name.unlike those other names, neonights does not get it's name from racial slurs or nicknames.it's completely original!don't believe?look it up.prove yourself man.anyone who associates it with racism is clueless!it's like i'm dealing with the bigot police or something,jeeeeeeezzzz!!!!

Thread Information