Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: which name sounds better?

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    edited I have nothing against you, I just think the name sounds silly. I like tradiation monikers. And if you read my thread about the CHT home court design ou would know my feelings regarding that situation (logo/colors/uniforms/etc). I work as an art director for a living, and while that doesn't make me an expert on team nicknames, I can tell when one sucks. Why does any nickname have to meet your standards? I don't care if you think knights are cool; it is a dumb name. And a little to similar the NO old Arena football the New Orleans Night (with that moon and stars design on the helmet). Come to think of it your Medival nickname isn't that orignal after all: The Wizards (who were once the bullets but had to change their name for PC reason). I just don't care enough about this to take the issue any further. To clear up the Knickerbocker thing. Yes, knickerbockers are a type of pants, however Knickerbockers were the name of the people that lived in the city of New York. The very first pro basketball team in New York was called the New York Knickerbockers Club (with history dating way before the NBA). You don't have to take my word for it, just check out any NYK team history page or basketball logo page and you can see the first NYK logo (it is of an early NY settler dribbling a basketball, a Knickerbocker), I hope that clears up any confusion.
    Last edited by NYKF Hornet; 05-15-2002 at 05:23 AM.

Travis Bickle Contributor cab694's Avatar
    Originally posted by Houma Hornet
    intimidating only to african americans,,,
    whats next getting david duke to be the mascott??
    New Orleans Storm, New Orleans Fire, New Orleans Whirl, New Orleans Gators, New Orleans Legends, New Orleans Swamp Demons, --- sorry, it's early. Louisiana Purchase is a buffet! (not bad) New Orleans Chefs?

Chairman Of The Bored

"I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous." -cab694

Originally posted by southdownus
    1.minor league teams have names like,dragons or fire.common sounding names.we both agree NEONIGHTS is original.
    3.it does associate with the city,ask anyone;that is if your really from around here.
    4.it is intimidating when you consider it's mascot.i would have to say an armoured knight is alot more intimidating than a little sting bug!
    5.definition:it actually has 2-one being a NEW NIGHT the other being a night lit up with neon lights making it a neon night.
    the bottom line is almost every team name sucks,wizards,knicks,lakers,mavs,supersonics all fit into the suck catagory.all im saying is if we are gonna name the team something sucky,might as well be original about it.
    If you have to work so hard to explain the name, you are going to have marketing problems. Plain and simple the name sucks - I am glad you at least acknowledge that. So why change a teams name just for the sake of changing it. Originality for the sake of originality is not a reason, particularly when the name suggested will have problems.

To borrow from your tainted name argument, NEONIGHTS is nothing but a derivative of the defunct Arena Football Team Name "NIGHT".

Since you seem to have problems with team names associated with past failures, why would you want to use a name that, based on your own argument, will remind people of a team that failed and closed up shop after 2 seasons.

Besides, the name "Night" sucked back then and had people scratching their heads and wondering why we didn't have a better name. Adding "NEO" to the name does nothing to help. A bad name is always a bad name.

Give it up, you have lost this battle. Besides, the owners are not going to change the name. In 2 years I guarantee that the city will be enamoured with the name Hornets and there will only be a vocal minority asking for a change and that will still be an outcry to get back the name "JAZZ".

Gee, I think I have wasted enough time on this thread. Hopefully it will sink to the second page and beyond soon.

Bye.

Hall of Famer
    Originally posted by HornetDJ377
    i say update the logo and mascot, tweak the uniforms and thats it. Hornets is fine with me.
    Agree 100%, thats all that needs to be done!!!

LSU Fans, Check out our LSU Site, BAYOUBENGALS.COM , Sister site of SR and NOH.

Rookie
    NEONIGHTS? Don't even know what the hell that means, and it is a cumbersome, clumsy, nonexistent word. Don't do that to yourselves or the team.

The NBA has the Miami Heat. How about the New Orleans Humidity? (that's a joke, not a poke at NOLA, so save your keyboards on the bitter replies).

Originally posted by hoopdr
    NEONIGHTS? Don't even know what the hell that means, and it is a cumbersome, clumsy, nonexistent word. Don't do that to yourselves or the team.

The NBA has the Miami Heat. How about the New Orleans Humidity? (that's a joke, not a poke at NOLA, so save your keyboards on the bitter replies).
    I still like Thunder. Great marketing potential. But, I don't like it as much as Hornets.

Hall of Famer
    I like Thunder and the Hurricanes Harvey.

Where did you get this picture from say-what?

Inside99.net, I guess I should go check it out, Man does that bring back memories, Shawn and I went to all the Night games, they were a blast. I can't wait for the Voodoo to begin play, I know Benson owns them but I love Arena football as I do the Saints, screw the owner .

Whodat32

Make sure you go to the Helmet Project page.

Great images there.

As for the Night, I had season tickets the first year but was only able to make one or two games the second. But it was great fun. Looking forward to the VooDoo in 2003.

Hall of Famer
    Awesome site say-what, The Arena helmets are so awesome in my opinion.

I like a couple of them

Connecticut Coyotes, 1995

Dallas Texans, 1993

...we get to go McDonalds
    New Orleans Humidity? I don't know why, but I would actually approve that name. I really don't like it, but it'd be the perfect name.

A name I like, but would never work is the New Orleans Gunners. Sounds weird, but Gunners is a cool name.

Neonights?! That is, at best, minorleaguish or XFLish. It is TERRIBLE! This is all pretty pointless considering the OWNER of the team said he intends on keeping the name, the HORNETS!

Cab-I am surprised you are back here.

Keep the Hornets

Travis Bickle Contributor cab694's Avatar
    Originally posted by HORNETSFAN
    Neonights?! That is, at best, minorleaguish or XFLish. It is TERRIBLE! This is all pretty pointless considering the OWNER of the team said he intends on keeping the name, the HORNETS!

Cab-I am surprised you are back here.
    :hahaha: Hey hornetsfan, they seem to be having a contest to see who can find articles bashing NOLA. Kinda stupid, since game 5 is tonight. Hornets WIN! 89-84.

Originally posted by Harvey Hornet

I still like Thunder. Great marketing potential. But, I don't like it as much as Hornets.
    cumbersome you say?well i think thunder is plain and ordinary.
    and i think" hornets"are used and abused.the meaning of the term "neonights"defines itself.and please,how does thunder not sound minor leaguish and neonights does?were talking very common name against very original name here.go do your homework.

the meaning of the term "neonights"defines itself.
    There is obviously no accounting for taste. Originality does not equate to universal acceptance, much less greatness.

As we have been trying to tell you repeatedly, NEONIGHTS just plain and simple:

SUCKS

Last edited by say-what-x; 05-15-2002 at 04:59 PM.

I think this guy is just trying to flame and see how many responses he can get. I cannot think anyone truly feels that strongly about such a ridiculous name.

Originally posted by say-what
    If you have to work so hard to explain the name, you are going to have marketing problems. Plain and simple the name sucks - I am glad you at least acknowledge that. So why change a teams name just for the sake of changing it. Originality for the sake of originality is not a reason, particularly when the name suggested will have problems.

To borrow from your tainted name argument, NEONIGHTS is nothing but a derivative of the defunct Arena Football Team Name "NIGHT".

Since you seem to have problems with team names associated with past failures, why would you want to use a name that, based on your own argument, will remind people of a team that failed and closed up shop after 2 seasons.

Besides, the name "Night" sucked back then and had people scratching their heads and wondering why we didn't have a better name. Adding "NEO" to the name does nothing to help. A bad name is always a bad name.

Give it up, you have lost this battle. Besides, the owners are not going to change the name. In 2 years I guarantee that the city will be enamoured with the name Hornets and there will only be a vocal minority asking for a change and that will still be an outcry to get back the name "JAZZ".

Gee, I think I have wasted enough time on this thread. Hopefully it will sink to the second page and beyond soon.

Bye.
    there was a team called the nights?sorry it must have been way before my time.i'm more familiar with the breakers usfl team.i don't even recall that helmet.well, seems like somebody else had envisioned the term "night"as being a feasible moniker.hey,now there are 2 people now that can associate N.O. with nightlife!
    i bet all those people just could'nt believe that the name "night"
    could have any connection with the city.i guess thats where we get names like breakers,saints,green wave.c'mon guys,what ever happened to names that originate from ties to the city?forget the jazz.utah tainted all over it.

downus, are you retarded or just ignorant. I really need to know. One of them is forgiveable and tolerable. The other is a ticket to charlotte.com. Please let us know.
    Last edited by Harvey Hornet-x; 05-15-2002 at 05:25 PM.

Originally posted by HORNETSFAN
    I think this guy is just trying to flame and see how many responses he can get. I cannot think anyone truly feels that strongly about such a ridiculous name.
    prove that it's ridiculous with a better name!i challenge you to come up with something better.c'mon i'm waiting..............................thats what i thought!

prove that it's ridiculous with a better name!i challenge you to come up with something better.c'mon i'm waiting..............................thats what i thought!
    Stop acting like a little child! Almost anything is better than that. However, if you do not remember the Night, you either are a child or have not been in the area long (or at all).

We don't have to prove sh**, we're not the one's who want a new name. We don't like your suggestion and have absolutely no problem with the NEW ORLEANS HORNETS.

Go jump off the Mississippi River Bridge. Do me a favor. Use the westbound side or jump fast from the eastbound side. I don't want to have to deal with the traffic. I am going to Lagers and don't want to be late.

there was a team called the nights?sorry it must have been way before my time.
    They were here in 1991-92. So, either you are less than 10 years old or not from around here.

Originally posted by Harvey Hornet
    downus, are you dumb or just ignorant. I really need to know. One of them is forgiveable and tolerable. The other is a ticket to charlotte.com. Please let us know.
    hey westbanker,who you calling ignorant?i bet giving the chance to name the team you would come out with the sissiest name to emerge from the sports world!just look at your username.ha!

You are a strange, strange little man.

I can safely say that Neonights is the worst name I have ever heard.

Thread Information