.
Pelicans Report
 
Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: NBA panel to back Hornets' departure

  1. #1

    News NBA panel to back Hornets' departure

    http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlot...ts/3171400.htm

    NBA panel to back Hornets' departure
    RICK BONNELL
    Staff Writer

    ORLANDO, Fla. - The NBA's relocation committee will recommend the Charlotte Hornets be allowed to move to New Orleans, Mayor Pat McCrory and two sources close to the league told The Observer Tuesday.

    "We anticipated this decision because we refuse to subsidize the operating losses of an ownership group that can't afford this business," McCrory said. "We drew the line in the sand, and I'm very comfortable with where we drew the line."

    NBA Commissioner David Stern has said he would forcefully lobby the league's owners to support the committee's recommendation. A vote is expected later this month.

    Also Tuesday, deputy commissioner Russ Granik said it would be at least two years before the league would consider locating a replacement team in Charlotte.

    Speaking in Orlando, where the Hornets beat the Magic on Tuesday in the first round of the playoffs, he said he saw nothing to stand in the way of a Hornets move to Louisiana for next season.

    "Based on what we've seen in New Orleans, unless there's some real surprises, it looks like there's a great deal of support there," Granik said. "It looks like it's going that way."

    Granik said the NBA's relocation committee, chaired by Phoenix Suns owner Jerry Colangelo and composed of six other powerful owners, would make its recommendation by Friday.

    He added that the Hornets have made "a lot of progress" since the NBA's owners met April 9 in New York.

    McCrory said Tuesday evening he learned of the recommendation "within the last day or two."

    The sources who spoke to The Observer said following the decision, the committee is now preparing a lengthy report for other owners explaining the recommendation.

    Hornets co-owner Ray Wooldridge declined to address Granik's comments Tuesday night.

    Granik, said he's still in touch with McCrory, but the earliest the city can expect a new NBA team is 2004-05.

    "We know that Charlotte's a good market," Granik said. "If at some point Charlotte is really committed to building a new arena and committed to a reasonable business arrangement with a tenant, then it might be time to have discussions.

    "I don't think in our minds we're saying we're leaving Charlotte for all time. But certainly those issues are going to have to be addressed before a replacement for the Hornets would be there, if they move."

    McCrory said the city has already shown it will build an arena and negotiate with a tenant, but officials first need assurances they will have a team.

    "We have to have a commitment from the NBA, not vice versa," McCrory said. "If they're interested in Charlotte in the long-term, we'll be glad to listen to their proposal.

    "In my mind, the NBA lost Charlotte."

    City Council member Lynn Wheeler, a leading supporter of efforts to keep the Hornets here, was not surprised by Tuesday's news.

    "This has been like death by a thousand cuts," Wheeler said. "Why don't they put us out of our pain?"

    The Hornets will still be playing when the committee's announcement is made, preparing to open the second round of the playoffs on Sunday.

    Granik said the league couldn't delay this decision to avoid a distraction for the players.

    "We've got to separate (the two issues) in our minds," Granik said. "I've got to give (coach) Paul Silas and the Hornets players a great amount of credit for having put all of this out of their minds.

    "I think they'll have to continue to do that and we'll have to live with the impact one way or the other. We can't hold up the report just waiting to see what happens on the (basketball) court."

    Silas said before Tuesday's Game 4 that he's confident his players can block out the distraction.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Walker
    Posts
    5,336
    Good news!

    Any realistic possibility that the Board of Governors could vote soon as today & we could have formal approval as soon as this time next week?

    Waiting 'till then before calling the Hornets "mine"....

    Brad

  3. #3
    Originally posted by COCajun
    Good news!

    Any realistic possibility that the Board of Governors could vote soon as today & we could have formal approval as soon as this time next week?

    Waiting 'till then before calling the Hornets "mine"....

    Brad
    It's possible but I think it's more likely that it'll happen on Thursday or Friday.

  4. #4
    Charter Member Southpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Metro New Orleans
    Posts
    5,579
    Originally posted by COCajun
    Good news!

    Any realistic possibility that the Board of Governors could vote soon as today & we could have formal approval as soon as this time next week?

    Waiting 'till then before calling the Hornets "mine"....

    Brad
    Yeah...I'm holding off on the GOT'EM! headlines until the owners vote.

    Although it looks really really really good for us.

    A football game can't stop hurricanes.

    It can't fix levees.

    Or rebuild houses.

    But it can let a city know...

    That it's a city once again.

    Welcome back, New Orleans.



  5. #5
    Creole in Germany stpm33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Rheinland-Pfaltz
    Posts
    164

    NOLA YES!!!!

    Gutentag y'all!! And, Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler, Sha!!

  6. #6
    In Time Out Harvey Hornet-x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Houston, Republic of Texas
    Posts
    11,380
    I just cannot believe McCrory's comments. Total arrogance. This attitude from city government is what cost them the team. I find it hard to blame the owners when I am exposed to the Mayor's mentality. It sounds like there was never a chance to strike a deal based on his stance. How can you blame the owners for finding someone who would work with them? CLT posters should not be upset with the league or New Orleans. When does this guy's term expire (not soon enough for CLT)? Two years? I really am not sure. I wonder if Granik's comments about considering another team for CLT in two years more about a change in leadership versus waiting on a new arena.

  7. #7
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Chalmette, Louisiana
    Posts
    692
    I said it 2 months ago and I will say it again ....

    WE GOT'EM


    LSU Fans, Check out our LSU Site, BAYOUBENGALS.COM , Sister site of SR and NOH.

  8. #8

    Mayor Pat McCrory up for reelection in 2003

    The mayor of Charlotte election will be next year Harvey Hornet. See the following for more inform about Mayor McCrory.

    http://www.patmccrory.com/biography.htm


    May be he will go back to Duke Energy full time in 2004.

  9. #9
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Chalmette, Louisiana
    Posts
    692

    Re: Mayor Pat McCrory up for reelection in 2003

    Originally posted by Mo-Hornets
    The mayor of Charlotte election will be next year Harvey Hornet. See the following for more inform about Mayor McCrory.

    http://www.patmccrory.com/biography.htm


    May be he will go back to Duke Energy full time in 2004.
    I can't see him being re-elected in Charlotte, Lord have mercy I will feel really bad for Charlotte if they lose the Hornets and keep McCrory .

  10. #10
    Starter
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Metairie
    Posts
    207
    YES!!!!!!!!!! I have waited for this moment all my life!!!! i was born the year the Jazz left town, i sat through the TWolves debacle and i still have the Front Page of the Picayune that said "Got Em" HOpefully they will use that again!! FINALLY I CAN BURN THAT FRONT PAGE!! OUR NBA DREAM COMES TRUE!!!

    AND NOW THE STARTING LINEUP FOR YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUR
    NEW OOOOOOOOOOOOORLEANS HOOOOOOOOOOORNETS!!!!!


  11. #11
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    charlotte
    Posts
    114
    Originally posted by Harvey Hornet
    I just cannot believe McCrory's comments. Total arrogance. This attitude from city government is what cost them the team. I find it hard to blame the owners when I am exposed to the Mayor's mentality. It sounds like there was never a chance to strike a deal based on his stance. How can you blame the owners for finding someone who would work with them? CLT posters should not be upset with the league or New Orleans. When does this guy's term expire (not soon enough for CLT)? Two years? I really am not sure. I wonder if Granik's comments about considering another team for CLT in two years more about a change in leadership versus waiting on a new arena.
    Though important, I think that many people do not judge a mayor based on his dealings with sports franchises. Now I know you are going to say that this situation is representative of his style, but I'm not quite sure about that. For most people sports is just entertainment, us few on this board are in the minority. We have analyzed and discussed this to a level that exceeds most people's depth. Basically I'm just saying that most people will not want a mayor gone over a sports franchise.
    (by arguing with harvey I am asking for it arn't I )

  12. #12
    Charter Member Contributor PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    21,808
    Originally posted by StateFan


    Though important, I think that many people do not judge a mayor based on his dealings with sports franchises. Now I know you are going to say that this situation is representative of his style, but I'm not quite sure about that. For most people sports is just entertainment, us few on this board are in the minority. We have analyzed and discussed this to a level that exceeds most people's depth. Basically I'm just saying that most people will not want a mayor gone over a sports franchise.
    (by arguing with harvey I am asking for it arn't I )
    How do you feel he has done otherwise? Is he overall a pretty good mayor IYO? It is just difficult to believe that the amateurish way that he handled this situation and ran this business (NBA) out of town is a one-time event.

  13. #13
    Originally posted by HORNETSFAN


    How do you feel he has done otherwise? Is he overall a pretty good mayor IYO? It is just difficult to believe that the amateurish way that he handled this situation and ran this business (NBA) out of town is a one-time event.
    The only way he could have gotten the team to stay was by given the team millions of dollars to build an arena. That was just not going to happen. I don't think the people of Charlotte would have let him do it. Thats why the arena deal in Charlotte made sure the money was recouped first. Sure basketball fans in Charlotte are upset, but sports is only a small aspect of that area. They are not going to mortgage themselves for a sports team.

  14. #14
    CLT posters should not be upset with the league or New Orleans.
    As a CLT poster, I am not upset with the league (they have to do what they have to do) or New Orleans (hell, you guys just wanted a team, cant blame you for going out and getting one). I hate to "blame" someone, but If I have to, I blame Shinrdige (not for alienating the fans, but more for proposing $0 for the new arena. Once their "proposal" was out in the open, it was all over) and the fat cats in city hall for putting that "new owners" clause in the Uptown arena deal. If you want to get down to it, everyone is at fault to some degree. The people shot down the arena proposal, New Orleans is at fault, because if you didn't go after the team, there wasn't another market out there really capable of supporting an NBA franchise. But I can't BLAME NO for wanting a team. And after reading today's Observer, it is apparantly all wrapped up (or buttoned up i should say). Congratulations on the (kinda) new team! Be on the lookout for Shinridge, it may or may not bite you when you least suspect it!

    At least Shinridge will be able to attend Hornets home games now! LOL

  15. #15
    Charter Member Contributor PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    21,808
    Originally posted by bobalou


    The only way he could have gotten the team to stay was by given the team millions of dollars to build an arena. That was just not going to happen. I don't think the people of Charlotte would have let him do it. Thats why the arena deal in Charlotte made sure the money was recouped first. Sure basketball fans in Charlotte are upset, but sports is only a small aspect of that area. They are not going to mortgage themselves for a sports team.
    No. I think if he (and the council) would have taken the owners serious a little earlier and put together this arena plan that they have in place now (but gone a little further with it), they may have begun the negotiating process to keep the team. Instead, they waited for the owners to find another suitor and then tried to pull a rabbit out of the hat. Arrogance and poor planning IMO.

  16. #16
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Chalmette, Louisiana
    Posts
    692
    Originally posted by HORNETSFAN


    No. I think if he (and the council) would have taken the owners serious a little earlier and put together this arena plan that they have in place now (but gone a little further with it), they may have begun the negotiating process to keep the team. Instead, they waited for the owners to find another suitor and then tried to pull a rabbit out of the hat. Arrogance and poor planning IMO.
    Absolutely correct Steve, you da man!!!

  17. #17
    Who cares why the Hornets are leaving Charlotte? The point is they are leaving, and we are returning to the NBA.

  18. #18
    Starter Elric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    234
    Originally posted by HORNETSFAN


    No. I think if he (and the council) would have taken the owners serious a little earlier and put together this arena plan that they have in place now (but gone a little further with it), they may have begun the negotiating process to keep the team. Instead, they waited for the owners to find another suitor and then tried to pull a rabbit out of the hat. Arrogance and poor planning IMO.
    They had an arena deal a couple of times only to have Shinn pull out at the last minute. You're talking about an owner who threatened to move in his second year of ownership if he didn't get virtually all the revenue form the Coliseum. This was when the Hornets led the league in attendance and were awash in cash. When Woolhead came onboard you couldn't get him to attend meetings to discuss a new arena and when he showed up he always put forth plans where he and Shinn would get a new arena with no money of their own invested. How are you supposed to deal with people like this? It's over for now and I'm glad of that. Tired of the whole thing and have been for a long time.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Walker
    Posts
    5,336
    Originally posted by HORNETSFAN


    No. I think if he (and the council) would have taken the owners serious a little earlier and put together this arena plan that they have in place now (but gone a little further with it), they may have begun the negotiating process to keep the team. Instead, they waited for the owners to find another suitor and then tried to pull a rabbit out of the hat. Arrogance and poor planning IMO.
    There ya go in a nutshell, Steve. Poor planning as you said & a heaping helping of arrogance with a sprinkling of too little, too late stirred in.

    Yeah, I'm hungry all right... for some HORNETS basketball baby. Time for Whodat to quit beating his chest about the Lakers already.

    Brad

  20. #20
    In Time Out Harvey Hornet-x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Houston, Republic of Texas
    Posts
    11,380
    Originally posted by StateFan


    Though important, I think that many people do not judge a mayor based on his dealings with sports franchises. Now I know you are going to say that this situation is representative of his style, but I'm not quite sure about that. For most people sports is just entertainment, us few on this board are in the minority. We have analyzed and discussed this to a level that exceeds most people's depth. Basically I'm just saying that most people will not want a mayor gone over a sports franchise.
    (by arguing with harvey I am asking for it arn't I )
    You have Harvey all wrong. Quit believing what you read or hear from CLT.com about Harvey. You don't understand. I retaliate, I do not instigate (sometimes I poke fun, but it is not meant to be personal). If we differ in opinion, all is good provided we keep it civil. I respect your opinion and agree that sports is important to a limited number of folks. But, in Louisiana, Gov. Foster, who is not a sports fan, realizes what the Hornets mean to the state and city of New Orleans. Regarldess of if you are a fan or not, the Hornets are good for the city of New Orleans. Not interested in debating that, I know some disagree. We all have a right to our own opinion. Even you!!!

  21. #21
    PG/SG #6 bdiddyx24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Hahnville High
    Posts
    413


    You'd be happy , too.

    2002-03 HHS Basketball
    Freshman 18-0
    J.V. 11-1
    Be Afraid...Very Afraid!


    GAME ON!!!!!

  22. #22
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    charlotte
    Posts
    114
    Originally posted by Harvey Hornet


    You have Harvey all wrong. Quit believing what you read or hear from CLT.com about Harvey. You don't understand. I retaliate, I do not instigate (sometimes I poke fun, but it is not meant to be personal). If we differ in opinion, all is good provided we keep it civil. I respect your opinion and agree that sports is important to a limited number of folks. But, in Louisiana, Gov. Foster, who is not a sports fan, realizes what the Hornets mean to the state and city of New Orleans. Regarldess of if you are a fan or not, the Hornets are good for the city of New Orleans. Not interested in debating that, I know some disagree. We all have a right to our own opinion. Even you!!!
    Ha Ha, you may have State Fan all wrong. By "asking for it" I meant that with you logical and thought out respnonses, you are often able back your point to a greater extent than I am able to back mine. That last part was a complement on your ability to articluate a solid argument that in this case was probably contradictory to my point. I got nothing but love for you harvey.

  23. #23
    In Time Out Harvey Hornet-x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Houston, Republic of Texas
    Posts
    11,380
    Originally posted by StateFan


    Ha Ha, you may have State Fan all wrong. By "asking for it" I meant that with you logical and thought out respnonses, you are often able back your point to a greater extent than I am able to back mine. That last part was a complement on your ability to articluate a solid argument that in this case was probably contradictory to my point. I got nothing but love for you harvey.
    My bad State Fan! It's becoming one big love fest here at neworleanshornets.com

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •