Pelicans Report

Thread: An open letter to George Shinn and David Stern

An open letter to George Shinn and David Stern

I had previously sent this as an email to both men and posted this in another thread, but I wanted to make sure the message was seen. Feel free to sign on, but be respectful with your comments and language as this thread is meant to be our dignified response, as fans of the NEW ORLEANS HORNETS, to the OKC announcement.

>============================<

Dear Commissioner Stern and Mr. Shinn:

It is with great sorrow that I have read today that the New Orleans Hornets will be referred to as the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets. Already the official website for the team identifies the site as "THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE NEW ORLEANS HORNETS/OKLAHOMA CITY" and the drop down navigation menu to select other teams lists us as NO/Oklahoma City.

Mr. Shinn, as a season ticket holder and Hurricane Katrina survivor, I take great offense to this redesignation of the team's identity. Although I understand the need to play games elsewhere, I was shocked to see that the league would allow the team to be identified as anything other than the NEW ORLEANS HORNETS much less reduce New Orleans to an abbreviation in the navigation menu. To top things off, I understand that the uniforms will now include an arm patch for Oklahoma City - how inappropriate when the only patch that should be added is one in support of the New Orleans region and Hurricane Katrina survivors. The final blow was the removal of NEW ORLEANS from the home jerseys. Too see another city's name on our team's uniforms and the removal of "NEW ORLEANS" from the home uniforms is just too much to bear in light of the tragedy we have experienced - it's like the team and NBA are abandoning us during our greatest time of need.

Mr. Shinn, I thought that you said that this team would continue to represent New Orleans while we recovered from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. However, it looks like you and the league might have other plans. This is our team, New Orleans' team and I desire to fight for the team's continued presence in New Orleans. Please make things right and correct this wrong that is being perpetrated on the fans of the New Orleans Hornets who have lost so much because of Hurricane Katrina and don't want to see their NBA team become the next casualty of the storm.

A fan and a Hurricane Katrina survivor,

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    I am not even in a position right now to write a dignified response, so I'll just keep quiet.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Add me to the list.

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    I feel like WCH, if I right something then they will have to lock me up. I'm pretty ****ed right now, the only thing keeping me half way calm is that we should have them back FULLY by next season. If that doesn't happen, then screw the NBA.

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NYKF Hornet
    I feel like WCH, if I right something then they will have to lock me up. I'm pretty ****ed right now, the only thing keeping me half way calm is that we should have them back FULLY by next season. If that doesn't happen, then screw the NBA.
    I am not going to wait around to find out. I am taking the year off. Back to the NHL for me (wow ). Once the Hornets have returned home, if they return home, then I'll be there. Shinn would have to rebuild his fan base in NOLA and the Gulf South. This is not going to go over well. Bad PR move and bad marketing move on his part and the NBA's part. Obviously, they are not as serious about our market as the NFL. Sad, really.

It continually bothers me that the effort to remain in Louisiana seems to be a priority only to the fans. This State is full of great stadiums and areanas. I appreciate the fact that there would be many conflicts to work out, and yes, it might even be impossible. However, the fans of these teams would at least like to know that the decision makers are dedicated to remaining in the State and weather the storm!
    Big ol' Pelicans fan up here in North La

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stingman
    It continually bothers me that the effort to remain in Louisiana seems to be a priority only to the fans. This State is full of great stadiums and areanas. I appreciate the fact that there would be many conflicts to work out, and yes, it might even be impossible. However, the fans of these teams would at least like to know that the decision makers are dedicated to remaining in the State and weather the storm!
    I can handle most of the game being played out of state, adding OKC to the unis is too much . . . in fact it is way too much.

Seems OKC did what SA couldn't, steal our team with the ok from the league.

Formerly "Rocket Man" groundpatty's Avatar
    This is just p1ssing me off.... this really shows the character of the NBA... or lack there of.

Put me on the list.

What are Shinn's and Stern's email addresses?

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    you need to include in there the fact that they're actually taking OFF the name new orleans from the jerseys.

not even any semblance of an effort to represent the people of new orleans. there's simply no excuse for this, i don't care if that meant another million into the coffers from the OKC city council.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN
    What are Shinn's and Stern's email addresses?
    For Stern I just used the "email us" link at NBA.com then selected the "Contact the NBA" option on the right; and for Shinn I used [email protected]

But I posted this here because I know people associated with the team read the site and that it will get to Shinn.

Drop me off in New Orleans CapitolHornet45's Avatar
    You can add me to that list..

The Franchise    Contributor   

the hornets emails aren'g going through, probably down due to the power being out, well, now it is probably due to their computers being on a moving van to OKC, but if his email is the same as the ticket guys, it would be [email protected], write to the whole staff, anybody whose name you can find and then [email protected], but you may as well wait until they unpack...
    I hope there is a special place in hell for guys like Shinn

Louisiana True    Contributor   
    Removing "NEW ORLEANS" from the front of the jerseys is the worst slap in the face ever given to a group which had just withstood such trying circumstances. For Mr. Shinn to rob our team of any resemblance they shared with a place we all love is heartless. If he truly plans to remain committed to the Gulf Coast, the least he could do would be to maintain the identity that made the Hornets our own.
    "The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, and comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming..." - TR, 1910

Did I ever mention that Shinn is the Devil?

Excellent write up. I hope they take notice.

please add me too. I sent one to Shinn also.
    Ladies and Gentlemen, Your New Orleans Hornets

All-Star Contributor biloxi-hornet's Avatar
    Add me...I was a full season ticket holder the first 3 seasons in the lower corner. But, Upgraded/downgraded my tix buy getting the half season club package. Basically financially supporting the team as previous years, the way I look at it.

However, I will soo be rooting for our team on Directv!

The Franchise Contributor rockerhornet's Avatar
    Add me to the list.

This is an email that I sent to the Hornetsfanrelations email address:
    ================================================== =======

my families house got looted in broad daylight after the storm and i'm not just talking one time...over and over again like it was nothing...i think everyone who has had that happen to them can understand that its the most vile, disrespectful, and dishonorable crime one can commit.

your senior management, vp's, marketing execs...etc....are doing the same thing to the entire city of new orleans and the fans of the NEW ORLEANS hornets...you are LOOTING your own city in broad daylight.

you still have time to right this wrong...please, please bring this up and change this policy. you are kicking a city in the face with steel toes while they are down...

Jonathan Reynolds

Slidell Louisiana Native and New Orleans Hornet Fan.

================================================== =======
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandeDavid View Post
    And for the emotionally distraught fans who have stopped feeling this fifth championship, grow a pair or please keep quiet. You only feed the trolls with your remorse and weakness.
    - LMMFAO

Please add me to the list. This organization has a real chance to perminetly bond w/ this city by staying commited to NEW ORLEANS. I understand they can not play in the arena this year, & I have no problem with playing in OKC to keep the francise financialy sound until next year. I was very happy to hear Shinn say that he was commited to keeping the hornets in New Orleans, But his actions thus far have been quite to the contrary. My entire family has lost everything, has have thousands of others. So far, our only break from from the reality of this catastrophy has been the few hours that we have sat togather & watched the LSU & Saints Games. Sports, for alot of people can play a big part in the healing & rebuilding process. The sports fans in this city need the Hornets, now more than ever. Stern & Shinn better stop trying to make OKC feel like its their team & start showing that the NBA doesnt just abandon their cities in a crissis. If this continues & especialy if the Hornets perminetly relocate to OKC. I will NEVER attend, watch, or buy anything that has anything to do with the NBA again, & Im sure alot of others will feel the same way. Stern & Shinn need to do the right thing, remove OKC from the hornets name, & replace the OKC patch with a patch representing the City of New Orleans & the Victums of Hurricane Katrina,
    "You wore green so you could hide." (Carl Spackler)

The Franchise Contributor rockerhornet's Avatar

:angry3:

Thread Information