Pelicans Report

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Thread: Here we go - THE DRAFT thread

Quote Originally Posted by DaFan
    If we overpay for a FA, it should be Joe Johnson.
    Agree. The problem is that I don't see him leaving Phoenix. OTOH, I can see Sterling lowballing Simmons and that's when we can come in and snatch him up. As HH said, JJ isn't leaving Phoenix.

Infinite Power is da **** Contributor GrandAdmiral's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun_Hornet
    Calm down guys we still have Chris Paul and loads of cap room to sign FA's.
    As long as we don't throw it all the way this year. The FA class next year should be more promising.

I think Simmons is a pretty big step down from Joe Johnson but I don't see any other FA SF being any better.
    God Bless New Orleans and God Bless Louisiana.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun_Hornet
    Taft finally drafted. Taft, Ellis, and Diogu all takein by GS. I really hate that team now because of Baron but they did pretty well in the draft.
    Good 2nd round but Diogu going 9 really jerked off their fans.

Hall of Famer
    Come on. Some of you are being way to hard on this pick...

Bass is going to be a good player... He improved so much last season from his freshman year, developed some really good go-to moves (something Taft hasn't done yet), and is a great defender. He has much more range than David West!!! Came up with alot of clutch shots for LSU last year. In one year he went from an average player to a team leader and CONFERENCE MVP in one year! He may not have the prototypical height to play PF like Taft, but the guy is 250+lbs of MUSCLE. He's got long arms and plays more like he's 6'9 or 6'10.

He made a huge mistake in going pro b/c next year with no High School players coming in I think he would have been a mid 1st round pick. I didn't want to pick him b/c I was extremely ****ed at him from leaving early, but he's a good physical player with some polish and moves to take David West's job pretty easily.

Remember with the Nets Scott had Kenyon Martin... With LSU, Bass reminded me of Martin alot with alot of his dunks on the fast break, and blocking. Maybe he wants to try to develop Bass into his "Kenyon Martin"?

I think everybody needs to stop being so negative towards brandon bass. I like the pick, I think he can be a real solid bench player, this year. And a good starter in the future. 6'8" with a big body and he cant be a PF? come on, did anybody watch him play basketball this past year? He'll be better than pj in two years and is better than birdman now.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAdmiral
    As long as we don't throw it all the way this year. The FA class next year should be more promising.
    Thats why I don't want to overpay for anyone this year. For now just resign Boki and birdman for cheap. I would still go after Simmons but not overpay for him. Next year we will likely be in the lottery again and hopefully have enough cap space left over to go after some solid FA's then.

Louisiana True    Contributor   
    hahahahaha... tell me someone else saw Mikael Gelabale and the hat just sitting on top of his dreadlocks... nowhere near his scalp -- that was amazing.
    "The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, and comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming..." - TR, 1910

Ladies and Gentlemen... the wizards has finally replaced Kwame Brown with Andray Blatche

I think Bass will have to make it as a 4. Not enough ball skill or quickness to guard wings 23ft fromt he basket. He has the strength, body mass, and athleticism to make it as a 4 if he shows tremendous grit and intelligence. I would put him a little ahead of West in those areas. We'll see.

It will be interesting to see who emerges at the 4. If Mags, PJ and Bird are in the 4-5 rotation, who else will get minutes out of the West, Bass, Vroman & Lampe quartet. I guess this is also some protection if Birdman is too expensive.

This leaves a gaping hole at 3. If they can keep Boki, they still need an upgrade. JJohnson is a pipe dream because the Suns are ready to match anything Hornets can offer. Simmons is not nearly as good, and might be very expensive too. Are there any more FA 3's you like? Radmanovic? Wilkins from Sea? Pickings get slim.

Basketball Guru Contributor
    Back to Paul...I'm pumped!!

Banned
    Bass is a 4 not a 3

reminds me of Trayler

Quote Originally Posted by the hoop
    I think everybody needs to stop being so negative towards brandon bass. I like the pick, I think he can be a real solid bench player, this year. And a good starter in the future. 6'8" with a big body and he cant be a PF? come on, did anybody watch him play basketball this past year? He'll be better than pj in two years and is better than birdman now.
    Be realistic. He is closer to 6'6" and cannot play the 3.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN
    Be realistic. He is closer to 6'6" and cannot play the 3.
    NBA Draft Profile: Brandon Bass
    College: LSU
    Class: Sophomore
    Stats: ESPN Statistics
    Height: 6-8
    Weight: 255 lbs

I didnt say he could play the 3. But hornetsfan be realistic about his size. You're not.

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    He's about 6-7 240 and he's an athletic PF who can score as well as rebound like all hell. The Hornets were looking to get longer and more athletic. If he were 6-9, he'd be a perfect pick. Lets not forget, we selected him in the 2nd round. Most 2nd rounders never make it. Lets hope we found a player who can contribute. I think we did.

Bass is a legit 6'8 with shoes.... he measured a little over 6'7 without shoes...

Quote Originally Posted by the hoop
    NBA Draft Profile: Brandon Bass
    College: LSU
    Class: Sophomore
    Stats: ESPN Statistics
    Height: 6-8
    Weight: 255 lbs

I didnt say he could play the 3. But hornetsfan be realistic about his size. You're not.
    Do you believe his coach?-

"Scouts say the knock on Bass is that he's too short to play power forward and doesn't have the perimeter skills to play small forward. Bass is listed at 6 feet 8 and 250 pounds, but LSU coach John Brady said Bass is closer to 6-6 ½. "

http://www.nola.com/search/index.ssf...23590.xml?nola

6'6 1/2 was 04's measurements... he grew an inch.

On the positive side, Bass does have a fanastic wing span (I think it is over 7 feet if I recall). I am not sure how that compares to West.

Quote Originally Posted by JR Smith
    6'6 1/2 was 04's measurements... he grew an inch.
    The article was from 3 days ago.

"He plays much bigger than his size. In Brandon's case, hopefully someone will look at him as a basketball player and not try to pigeonhole him by size or position."
    Perhaps we should listen to these words when considering BB.

I'm all out of bubble gum Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN
    On the positive side, Bass does have a fanastic wing span (I think it is over 7 feet if I recall). I am not sure how that compares to West.
    It's close. They are very similar in that regard. Both a bit short for the PF spot, but they have long arms. I really think Bass will take West's spot on the team. West will be filler in a summer trade IMO.

plus, he grew an inch.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Hornet
    It's close. They are very similar in that regard. Both a bit short for the PF spot, but they have long arms. I really think Bass will take West's spot on the team. West will be filler in a summer trade IMO.
    That could be the thinking with this pick. It appeared that Scott was not too fond of West last year, so maybe he sees Bass as his replacement. That makes West potential filler (in a trade with Mags possibly?).

What is the record for the most pages on one thread? 30 pages and 600 post is very impressive.

Thread Information