Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Pending League Final Rule

Drop me off in New Orleans CapitolHornet45's Avatar
    I don't think the pick thing is really a big deal. This isn't really a good draft anyway. This offseason we'll have 22 MILLION DOLLARS to work with. Thats more than enough to draw a guy like Michael Redd or Ray Allen here should we so desire to go after a superstar. We get a solid back-up PG in Claxton. Would you rather the chance to sign an impct player or have BD who only plays 25-30 games a year for the next 5 years? I'll take a chance to get a durable, high-character, high quality guy like Allen over Bd ANY day. Also, The pick swap thing could come in handy. Lets say we get the #6 pick in the draft and GS gets #1, then I don't think we'll have many complaining then..

I wanted BD gone but I didn't want to give him away. We created alot of cap space but what FAs are gonna want to come here? Stars want to play on winners. As long as we don't sign anyone to bad contracts and our draft picks come thru, we may be able to sign a top FA in a few years, but not next year.

Guys, BD didn't want to be here pure and simple. Maybe we could have gotten more, maybe his back would have gone out and we'd be stuck with him. You never know. Let's see who we draft and what free agent move we make. Then judge the trade.

If we are drafting 1 or 2 with Golden State's pick I doubt that there will be a lot of complaining.

P.S. A lot of you guys need to take some time to learn how the salary cap, the lottery, and the NBA draft works before you make some of your comments. This isn't football people. The rules are different.
    I'm looking for real sports fans...not sheep! Are you with me?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN
    They better make a HUGE splash in free agency or that arena will be empty next season. I cannot see season ticket renewal going through the roof with the draw being Smith, Dickau and Magloire.
    Haha. The Hornets could trade for Lebron James and Tim Duncan and the arena would still be empty. The league is probably nervous about putting the allstar game here because the game itself might not sell out.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitolHornet45
    I don't think the pick thing is really a big deal. This isn't really a good draft anyway. This offseason we'll have 22 MILLION DOLLARS to work with. Thats more than enough to draw a guy like Michael Redd or Ray Allen here should we so desire to go after a superstar. We get a solid back-up PG in Claxton. Would you rather the chance to sign an impct player or have BD who only plays 25-30 games a year for the next 5 years? I'll take a chance to get a durable, high-character, high quality guy like Allen over Bd ANY day. Also, The pick swap thing could come in handy. Lets say we get the #6 pick in the draft and GS gets #1, then I don't think we'll have many complaining then..
    Neither of those guys will come here, The Bucks just traded Van Horn for capspace so that they can up their chances of resigning Redd, and Redd recently stated that he wanted to retire as a Buck. Ray Allen simply wont come here, he's getting up there in age and theres no way he decides to end his career on a team in 100% rebuild mode.

This team is going to have to overpay like hell to get good free agents, like the Utah Jazz last year. Just because you have capspace doesn't mean that people want to come here.

I wish we could have got more for bd but I'll take it!!! Considering BDs attitude issues and injury-prone condition, I don't think BD had much trade value at the moment. Teams knew he didn't want to be here and we didn't want him here any longer and that hurt also. Overall I'm just glad the Hornets got rid of the two problem children (BD & Mash) on the team and also dumped Rogers. This is a great day for the Hornets IMHO.

Lets say we get the #6 pick in the draft and GS gets #1, then I don't think we'll have many complaining then..

Correct me if I'm wrong but if we finish with the worst record, the worst we can pick is 4th.

The Franchise
    I think Gerry reported that the swap of picks is no longer in the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sting
    If we are drafting 1 or 2 with Golden State's pick I doubt that there will be a lot of complaining.
    Apparently we do not even get that now.

The Hornets will be better off just not spending that money til 06 if they can not get anything worth while in 05. The team can probably unload a few more plays such as Lynch and Lampe while getting playing time to West, JR, the first round draft pick, Jacobsen, and Nachbar. The team can spend freely in 06 while at the same time have another lottery pick. Everything doesn't have to be done in 05.

Hall of Famer Contributor CC_Pelican's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN
    Apparently we do not even get that now.
    Its true, no choice of lottery picks now. That's gone and the money is down to $350,000. This just proves BD really wasn't worth too much at all right now.

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BossBruce
    New Orleans trades Baron Davis to the Golden State Warriors for Speedy Claxton...

There's no way to brighten that up NYKF...

The best player on our team traded for Speedy Claxton...a tough pill to swallow
    I don't have to sugar coat anything . . . BD didn't want to be here anyway.

At least this way options are open to us. I don't think we were going to be a contender next season with BD, so that is why I feel we came out on top here. We have a shot at FAs, and the real rebuilding can begin.

More than anything I'm happy we are no longer a one man team. I was growing tired of Bd's complaints and attitude, I'm sure it was much worse in the FO.

I think this deal says a lot about BD and his worth across the league. This is the best we could do, it's a shame, but BD forced this not the Hornets.

This just proves that the Hornet's front office is gutless. The first trade that was announced was bad enough. But now the Hornets have shown every other team in the NBA that they will bend over for anybody.

Thread Information