.
Pelicans Report
 
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Silver Lining?

  1. #1
    Charter Member Contributor PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    21,820

    Silver Lining?

    As much as I do not like this trade, I am searching for a silver lining. I think the "silver lining" (if there is one) is that many stated they would have rather gotten an expansion team than an existing one. Well, honestly, that is what we have now. We have the type of talent that usually comes in an expansion draft (end of the bench type players that you hope have potential to develop) a couple of aging veterans (PJ and Lynch, although I wish we could have unloaded Lynch), a high draft choice and a lot of cap room. The "lagniappe" we have is Big Cat.

  2. #2
    You can't include JR Smith or Dickau in either the aging vets or bench players. In all honesty, we have 2 very good young players to build around in JR Smith and Big Cat, with a wealth of depth coming off the bench (if we resign most like we should) in Dickau, Andersen, Boki, West, CJ, Vroman, and Lampe. The silver lining is that we improved team chemistry by trading BD, gotten younger and athletic, and cleared a ton of cap space to make FA interesting.
    Did you know that 5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions?

  3. #3
    Banned Trueblood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Koreatown, California
    Posts
    8,084
    The silver lining is also that Claxton isn't nearly as bad as this board makes him out to be. He gets hurt as well but nearly as much as BD. When on his game, he's just as good a defender and won't jack up as many 3's.

  4. #4
    Charter Member Contributor PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    21,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Trueblood
    The silver lining is also that Claxton isn't nearly as bad as this board makes him out to be. He gets hurt as well but nearly as much as BD. When on his game, he's just as good a defender and won't jack up as many 3's.
    Is he a guy this team may actually think about keeping after this year? He seems to have missed a lot of games over the last 3 years as well (90 I think I heard). He certainly won't jack up 3's, mainly because he can't. He has only made 18 in his career. Is he a strong penetrator?

  5. #5
    Charter Member Contributor PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    21,820
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFan
    You can't include JR Smith or Dickau in either the aging vets or bench players. In all honesty, we have 2 very good young players to build around in JR Smith and Big Cat, with a wealth of depth coming off the bench (if we resign most like we should) in Dickau, Andersen, Boki, West, CJ, Vroman, and Lampe. The silver lining is that we improved team chemistry by trading BD, gotten younger and athletic, and cleared a ton of cap space to make FA interesting.
    Dickau is exactly the type of player that gets acquired in an expansion draft. He was an 11th or 12th man on the bench. JR is a rookie, although a lower choice than an expansion team would get. Overall, this team is very similar to an expansion team which is what many would have rathered instead of an existing team anyway.

  6. #6
    Banned Trueblood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Koreatown, California
    Posts
    8,084
    Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN
    Is he a guy this team may actually think about keeping after this year? He seems to have missed a lot of games over the last 3 years as well (90 I think I heard). He certainly won't jack up 3's, mainly because he can't. He has only made 18 in his career. Is he a strong penetrator?
    Getting to the hole is his best attribute. He really doesn't have natural PG skills but he lives up to his nickname by blowing by people and then it doesn't take a natural PG to find the open man when you attract the defenders that he does.

    If the team drafts Paul, they don't exercise his option. If they miss out on Paul, they exercise the option. This is the best part of the deal.

  7. #7
    momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    25,824
    Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN
    Dickau is exactly the type of player that gets acquired in an expansion draft. He was an 11th or 12th man on the bench. JR is a rookie, although a lower choice than an expansion team would get. Overall, this team is very similar to an expansion team which is what many would have rathered instead of an existing team anyway.
    That's true, but we have the advantage of not being an expansion team. We have Scott and a new FO with one year under their belts, along with some core players we want to keep. Along with that we now have plenty of cap space to possibly lure a few good starters through free agency or in trades.

    We will also have a high draft pick, not that I put a lot stock in draft picks or anything, but it's something to work with (in case we want to deal it away in a can't miss trade).

    Our FO has a lot to do, but they have none of the disadvantages most expansion teams face when trying to build from scratch.

  8. #8
    Best Coach Ever ULsaint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Uptown
    Posts
    1,336
    Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN
    Dickau is exactly the type of player that gets acquired in an expansion draft. He was an 11th or 12th man on the bench. JR is a rookie, although a lower choice than an expansion team would get. Overall, this team is very similar to an expansion team which is what many would have rathered instead of an existing team anyway.
    You really have a low opinion of Dickau don't you? I don't think he's a super star but I do think he's more than serviceable.

    What do you think of him?

  9. #9
    Charter Member Contributor PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    21,820
    Quote Originally Posted by NYKF Hornet
    That's true, but we have the advantage of not being an expansion team. We have Scott and a new FO with one year under their belts, along with some core players we want to keep. Along with that we now have plenty of cap space to possibly lure a few good starters through free agency or in trades.

    We will also have a high draft pick, not that I put a lot stock in draft picks or anything, but it's something to work with (in case we want to deal it away in a can't miss trade).

    Our FO has a lot to do, but they have none of the disadvantages most expansion teams face when trying to build from scratch.
    I agree. Hopefully we will take advantage of it. Also, I hope Dickau has a great offseason and improves to the point where he can be a good starting PG on both ends.

  10. #10
    Charter Member Contributor PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    21,820
    Quote Originally Posted by ULsaint
    You really have a low opinion of Dickau don't you? I don't think he's a super star but I do think he's more than serviceable.

    What do you think of him?
    I don't have a low opinion of him at all. He was an end of the bench player who was struggling to stay in the NBA. Those are the type that are made available in expansion drafts (as are Vroman, Boki, Lampe and maybe Jacobsen). See my last post re: Dickau. He has surprised me thus far in his play. He seems like a class guy and a Christian. I hope he can get better and become a good PG.

  11. #11
    Best Coach Ever ULsaint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Uptown
    Posts
    1,336
    PG is the least of my worries. Between Dickau and Claxton the position is more than covered.

    Paul shouldn't even be on the radar. I'm not impressed with him to begin with and he's small.

    It's Bogut or bust.

    If we lost out on the big guy we have to find an athletic swingman with size.

  12. #12
    Charter Member Contributor PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    21,820
    Quote Originally Posted by ULsaint
    PG is the least of my worries. Between Dickau and Claxton the position is more than covered.

    Paul shouldn't even be on the radar. I'm not impressed with him to begin with and he's small.

    It's Bogut or bust.

    If we lost out on the big guy we have to find an athletic swingman with size.
    I honestly have not seen Bogut play. However, the scouting reports I read on him is that he is incredibly slow. Would he be a fit in this system?

  13. #13
    Best Coach Ever ULsaint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Uptown
    Posts
    1,336
    Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN
    I honestly have not seen Bogut play. However, the scouting reports I read on him is that he is incredibly slow. Would he be a fit in this system?
    If he's slow then Magloire is playing in a wheelchair.

    Actually I've only seen Bogut play once or twice too. I exaggerated on how strongly I think we should try to get him.

    I need to do more draft research although I do think to draft a PG would be a mistake.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •