.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44

Thread: Baron Davis feels unwanted from ESPN.com

  1. #1
    Geaux Hornets!!! CPHornet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    290

    Baron Davis feels unwanted from ESPN.com


  2. #2
    Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    12,376
    This sounds more like a Baron v. Scott thing. In a way, I think Baron is setting himself up to be the victim here. I don't like it. There is clearly a problem between these two. I guess we shouldn't be surprised to see Baron speak just before the trade deadline, even though he denies it, I think he is jonesing for a trade. What a disappointing year for BD.


    Time for some football!!!

  3. #3
    Just add fans Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    35,313
    Lets see. Baron hand picked this coach. He wanted a coach he "could relate to". Didn't turn out like you expected BD now did it?

  4. #4
    Just add fans Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    35,313
    "I'm still one of the best players in this league."

    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

    Hey BD, "players", play.

  5. #5
    Hornets + Kool-Aid = ??? PyroCross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wellington, NZ
    Posts
    1,890
    ^^ When I see an Iverson-like game where he passes enough to JR Smith to give him 20 ppg at least, that's when I'll call him good. My view: Impossible.

  6. #6
    you say you play hurt in the playoffs and then the next line you say you won't rush back. Like ray lewis says "I want to see how a guy plays when we are down by 20 in the forth quarter, Can I go to war with him or not". Baron even step on the court so that tells me all I need to know about BD.
    AKA St. David

  7. #7
    I find the whole thing really annoying now. I am (was) a big BD fan and I do believe that he can be a great player and I believe that he wants to help this team win but I am starting to feel more than a little bit foolish for still believing this. I don't want a player who whines in the press about the coach being p*ssed at him and that his team mates didn't call. Well, no offense Baron there is almost no one on the team who will remember who you are except Big Cat and you know he can't call because of the severity of his broken finger. At some point i'd love a team just to take a stand and say you will not be traded, no way, never, you signed the contract you are going no where. then we might see if he genuinely wants to play the game and make everyone better or if he is just a lazy punk who wants the easy way out to a better team. (Carter, T-Mac) Play bad so you get traded, then play great on your new team and claim it was all the old teams fault. Enough is enough!!

    (Not suggesting the Hornets do this because $63 mill for someone who is not trying is a bit to much to make a stand on)

  8. #8
    Charter Member Contributor PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    21,824
    I had a feeling this could happen. Scott seems to publicly criticize his players, which always leads to problems. He has consistently done it with JR. However, JR is a rookie and has to take it (yet his Dad spoke out). He did it with West and West tried to come back to soon only to put him out even longer. Now he did it with BD. I would have expected any star player to speak out. Had Scott said this about AI or Shaq or Kobe, fireworks would have erupted. I am beginning to see why he and Kidd may have been at odds.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouHornet
    Thanks for the link, +3

    Always a little drama when BD's involved.

  10. #10
    The Franchise
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Artic Land
    Posts
    1,998

    Lol!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Hornet
    "I'm still one of the best players in this league."

    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

    Hey BD, "players", play.
    Amen Harvey Hornet!!!!

    Baron has been injured (or so he says)a majority of his career
    here in N.O. so for him to make a statement like is just way too funny.

  11. #11
    The Franchise
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Artic Land
    Posts
    1,998
    Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN
    I had a feeling this could happen. Scott seems to publicly criticize his players, which always leads to problems. He has consistently done it with JR. However, JR is a rookie and has to take it (yet his Dad spoke out). He did it with West and West tried to come back to soon only to put him out even longer. Now he did it with BD. I would have expected any star player to speak out. Had Scott said this about AI or Shaq or Kobe, fireworks would have erupted. I am beginning to see why he and Kidd may have been at odds.
    These are NOT babies, these are men who are paid alot of money for what
    many would love the opportunity to do. They are all prima donnas and expect to be treated that way. I like what Scott's doing. I personally think Baron got off on the wrong foot with Scott when he made his trade request before the season started. I say we get him healthy and trade him this summer.
    The guy is injury prone and history has and will continue to prove that. IMO

  12. #12
    Hall of Famer Contributor CC_Pelican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Outside city NO limits unfortunately
    Posts
    8,195
    Had problems listening to Floyd, doesn't want to listen to Scott. Do you keep changing coaches for this guy? SHUT UP AND PLAY BD OR GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. Preferably the later. To think some are still here defending him.

  13. #13
    Banned YoungFella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Garden District
    Posts
    1,869
    i hate baron davis. what a punk.

  14. #14
    The Franchise rainwater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    1,192
    I wonder if the Hornets can set a record for most players run out of town? They are getting pretty close these last few years. The front office people are masters at laying blame on anyone but themselves. Keep it coming Hornets!

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by rainwater
    I wonder if the Hornets can set a record for most players run out of town? They are getting pretty close these last few years. The front office people are masters at laying blame on anyone but themselves. Keep it coming Hornets!
    No one with the team has to lay blame anywhere, the players involved are doing a good enough job sullying their names on their own.

  16. #16

    Rant Management must take blame for keeping "wrong" players

    Quote Originally Posted by say-what
    No one with the team has to lay blame anywhere, the players involved are doing a good enough job sullying their names on their own.

    Yes the players are responsible, but how many All-Star players leave the Hornets on bad terms? Zo, LJ, Rice, Mash, BD. I've had multiple Charolette fan's tell me that Shinn doesn't take care of his players and we(NO fans) will hate him over time. I will support my team no matter what, but you have question either a) our personel department or b) the organizations philosphy towards it's players.

    This is a new regime so I will give them the benefit of the doubt. That being said the NBA is FULL of "me-first" guys. Shaq, Kobe, AI, Jason Kidd and T-Mac to name a few. These players our also the best in the league. Teams must find a way to build around these guys. It looks like it's not going to work with Baron-that's fine. The Hornets, however, cannot turn away players of high-caliber talent. This is a small market. Free agents will be hard to come by for a at least five years. If we build through the draft and max-out our hometown players(like with what we did with BD) we must be sure they are the right guys to sign long term deals. Considering he never missed a game before he got maxed out, the BD signing looked good at the time.

    If the Hornets want to stay away from "me-first" players, this might mean taking less quality players in the draft. For example, the Warriors are still taking heat for drafting a "character" guy Mike Dunleavy over Armare Stoudamire a couple of years ago despite STAT's ranking as the No.3 prospect in the draft. There are on occasion players like Duncan and LBJ who have both character and talent, but they are the 1 out 100 type of guys.

    No matter who becomes are next franchise player(JR Smith) ,the franchise has to take the right steps in building around them and showing the player some love. When you see guys like TD and KG, they have tremendous support. Even when KG couldn't get past the first round, the team kept him there. Despite all of his troubles, Sixers management love AI. He's losing but still wants to be a "Sixer for life". Even Alonzo in Miami is loved. Pat Riley said he will retire his number the day 'Zo signed with the Nets.

    In case you don't realize my point is this: Yes it's the players fault things don't work out. Given our current situation no one(Fans, managment, coaching staff, players) is happy with the BD issue. The organization has too take some of the blame. If BD is too immature to lead a team, why sign him to a seven year max deal? If all-star players A, B and C just didn't "work out" then what are they doing here in the first place? It's time for the Hornets ownership to step-up and find the "right" franchise player. The New Orleans Hornets need an identity- Bristow, Reed and Shinn GO OUT and FIND ONE.

  17. #17
    Sharp-Shooting Serbian HornetsDude3160's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Metairie
    Posts
    1,215
    I can see why he feels unwanted. He's missed 30+ games and we have had new faces coming in like Jacobsen, Boki, Lampe, and Vroman.
    "Baron Davis and Jamal Mashburn. One 'star' who taught another 'star' how not to be a 'star' " - Jim Henderson

    "Oklahoma City can go to hell" - Random caller on the Hornets post game show

    "To be the man, you gotta beat the man. WHOO!!!" - "Nature Boy" Ric Flair

    Scott Cody on Byron Scott: "He was there during the Hornets best and worst season. His legacy, most likely however, will fall somewhere in between..."

  18. #18
    Just add fans Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    35,313
    Quote Originally Posted by redhornet
    No matter who becomes are next franchise player(JR Smith) ,the franchise has to take the right steps in building around them and showing the player some love.
    Lets see. A max contract, hiring a coach he "can relate to", hiring a front office guy (Reed) he approved of, involving him in the draft...

    Need I go on? How much love does he need?

    There is one mistake here. It's not about the Hornets not showing love, it's about the Hornets picking the wrong guy to build around.

    Shinn in CLT and Shinn here are two different stories. The team had revenue problems there and that affected their roster decisions. You can accuse him of making bad decisions since he's been here (Baron, Mash, PJ's deal), but you can't accuse him of being cheap. That won't float, sorry.

    Yes, unfortunately, the NBA is full of "me" players. The ones you named are very good and proven. Baron isn't in their class. What I've seen though is some organizations able to build great teams around players who aren't so obnoxious too. The Spurs immediately come to mind. The Pistons won a chapmionship last year and their group was fairly well behaved (in spite of Sheed).

    I think this is all philosophical in the end. I don't want players running my team. I love what Houston has done with Jeff van Gundy. He came in, challenged the players and is in control of that team. I'd rather see a coach calling the shots than a hot shot kid. Van Gundy has done things his way, they've eliminated players who wouldn't cooperate and the Rockets are one of the up and coming teams in the West. I see Scott and the Hornets wanting to do the same thing. We don't have the roster Houston had to start. It's going to take us a little more time. At least JVG's misfits had trade value...

  19. #19
    Just add fans Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    35,313
    Quote Originally Posted by DownTownDanFan
    I can see why he feels unwanted. He's missed 30+ games and we have had new faces coming in like Jacobsen, Boki, Lampe, and Vroman.
    Here's an issue I've never touched on here. BD wants to portray himself as this tough street kid who "can handle it". Well, it's far from the truth. He's fragile, physically and mentally. I've hinted around about it a few times, but I won't pull punches. Dickau's success and adoration by Hornets fans is bothering Mr. Private School Toughguy. BD is a wannabe.

  20. #20
    Banned yackman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    poolside with (classy) stippers
    Posts
    577
    What does he "Wannabe"?

  21. #21
    Just add fans Contributor Harvey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    35,313
    Quote Originally Posted by yackman
    What does he "Wannabe"?
    One of the best players in the league (top tier guy like Shaq, Duncan, etc.)...

    A kid with "street cred"...

    Leader...

    Go to guy...

    etc.

    He talks a good game, but doesn't back it up. His words and actions don't match. He's a private school kid who is pretending to be something he's not.

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Walker
    Posts
    5,336
    Quote Originally Posted by yackman
    What does he "Wannabe"?
    He "wannabe" playing in L.A.! He doesn't "wannabe" buying Rallyburger combos for RR!

  23. #23
    Desk jockey Contributor Defuz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Mandeville, LA
    Posts
    8,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Hornet
    Lets see. A max contract, hiring a coach he "can relate to", hiring a front office guy (Reed) he approved of, involving him in the draft...

    Need I go on? How much love does he need?

    There is one mistake here. It's not about the Hornets not showing love, it's about the Hornets picking the wrong guy to build around.

    Shinn in CLT and Shinn here are two different stories. The team had revenue problems there and that affected their roster decisions. You can accuse him of making bad decisions since he's been here (Baron, Mash, PJ's deal), but you can't accuse him of being cheap. That won't float, sorry.

    Yes, unfortunately, the NBA is full of "me" players. The ones you named are very good and proven. Baron isn't in their class. What I've seen though is some organizations able to build great teams around players who aren't so obnoxious too. The Spurs immediately come to mind. The Pistons won a chapmionship last year and their group was fairly well behaved (in spite of Sheed).

    I think this is all philosophical in the end. I don't want players running my team. I love what Houston has done with Jeff van Gundy. He came in, challenged the players and is in control of that team. I'd rather see a coach calling the shots than a hot shot kid. Van Gundy has done things his way, they've eliminated players who wouldn't cooperate and the Rockets are one of the up and coming teams in the West. I see Scott and the Hornets wanting to do the same thing. We don't have the roster Houston had to start. It's going to take us a little more time. At least JVG's misfits had trade value...
    Well, well said sir. Jolly good show and other such English-toffy-nosed-twit silliness.

    Seriously, BD's the one who's built this problem with his behavior. The team did whatever they could to accomodate him, and it's still not enough? Puh-leeease!

    Now he's trying to paint himself as innocent, Ned-nice-guy, unsure of why this is happening etc. Sorry, but that doesn't hack it with me.

    BD, we think of you what we do because of the way you've acted. If you really wanted to fix things you'd be willing to publicly state your determination to do whatever the team needs and DEMONSTRATE it through your actions.

    Please, trade him.

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Walker
    Posts
    5,336
    Quote Originally Posted by defuz
    Well, well said sir. Jolly good show and other such English-toffy-nosed-twit silliness.
    Hmmm. Someone's been watching too much BBC America.

    Quote Originally Posted by defuz
    Seriously, BD's the one who's built this problem with his behavior. The team did whatever they could to accomodate him, and it's still not enough? Puh-leeease!

    Now he's trying to paint himself as innocent, Ned-nice-guy, unsure of why this is happening etc. Sorry, but that doesn't hack it with me.
    Notice how BD plays the media. Take yesterday for instance. He willingly speaks to ESPN after Monday's practice about the woes in the Baron Empire and generate national sympathy for his righteous cause (notice the tag line on the ESPN article: Unwanted but determined ) but cannot allow equal time to the Times Picayune. Ben Hochman half-jokes in today's paper that BD showed his best moves when he ducked out on the media after practice.

    BD, you've got the national media fooled, but we locals are on to you, aren't we. That's not gonna play here, son.

  25. #25
    BLACK&GOLD AGHF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Greifswald(Germany)
    Posts
    15,618
    What a cry baby!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •