Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nashville businessman steps up BIG!

I heard that Carlos Marcello agreed to buy a large block of club seats that fell of the back of a Hornets moving van.

Here is a link to the WDSU TV6 report on the sales and Mr. Carroll's agreement.

WDSU TV6 Video link

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    Went to Charlotte board, as predicted they said our ticket numbers were bad and that the NBA would look bad on one business man buying large block of tickets. And according to them looks like the Hornet are staying in Charlotte. What dumbnuts.
    That's why I don't go over there anymore. Delusional board that it is, it sucks!

Renfo, I'd like to help you out, but I am really squeezed for time at the moment, but I can check later tonight. In the meantime, I can tell you that Stern said it in his press conference on 3/20. Just find that link, it should be there. www.wcnc.com in charlotte usually keeps links for awhile, so check there. Nevertheless, he said it. He also said that he thought that the arena had 2800 club seats total. I'll check back later tonight. If you didn't find the link, I'll look for it. Sorry

Time for some football!!!

The Franchise
    Originally posted by West Coast Hornet

That's why I don't go over there anymore. Delusional board that it is, it sucks!

Renfo, I'd like to help you out, but I am really squeezed for time at the moment, but I can check later tonight. In the meantime, I can tell you that Stern said it in his press conference on 3/20. Just find that link, it should be there. www.wcnc.com in charlotte usually keeps links for awhile, so check there. Nevertheless, he said it. He also said that he thought that the arena had 2800 club seats total. I'll check back later tonight. If you didn't find the link, I'll look for it. Sorry

Thanks West Coast,

I'll try to look it up.
    HANGIN' IN THE PELICANS ROOST!!

Rookie
    Originally posted by Westbank Hornet
    You know what I love about this story? I mean, beside the fact that is happening and it shows people from *outside* New Orleans have confidence in us. It's that Charlotte has been all over the boards with conspiracy stories about white knights coming in to help them, perhaps working behind the scenes and counter to what the league is *saying* it's saying because that's where real business gets done (or so they tell us naive waifs). Supposedly, this would happen because of Charlotte's inherent superiority and our inherent inferiority. Now here we get a rich guy who comes in to help *us.* He's finessing the "rules" the committee arbitrarily set down, and apparently that's fine with the NBA. Ha. Ha ha. Ha ha ha.
    I couldn't agree more Westbank.

Also, I believe two other things are factors on this thing:

•First, I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Carroll owned a bunch of parking lots around the arena, or perhaps other businesses that would dramatically profit from the teams presence. At 40 something regular season games, I'd be happy to have a store at the normally quiet New Orleans Centre for example. (By the way, I hope Macy's and Lord and Taylor bought some seats).

•Second, Nashville and Charlotte are both booming cities in the same region. ( I always liked Nashville better, but I'll try to take my passion out of the way). I'm pretty sure Mr. Carroll knows that a major blow for Charlotte means points for Nashville. However, I am also sure he's not doing this for the sake of being a good Nashville citizen. He wouldn't buy 120 seats if he didn't plan to at least make ten times that much in this city. I think it really is a MAJOR vote of confidence in New Orleans.

THANK YOU MR. CARROLL !!! From now on, I know where I'll park my car!!!!

Originally posted by say-what
    Here is a link to the WDSU TV6 report on the sales and Mr. Carroll's agreement.

WDSU TV6 Video link
    Thanks say what, I missed the news today. Sometihng real interesting in that story, that I haven't heard about before, is the kids issue. It asks companies to buy and donate tickets to kids, and get a tax break. This is pure genius.
    Ladies and Gentlemen, Your New Orleans Hornets

Originally posted by ProudNewOrleans

I couldn't agree more Westbank.

Also, I believe two other things are factors on this thing:

•First, I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Carroll owned a bunch of parking lots around the arena, or perhaps other businesses that would dramatically profit from the teams presence. At 40 something regular season games, I'd be happy to have a store at the normally quiet New Orleans Centre for example. (By the way, I hope Macy's and Lord and Taylor bought some seats).

•Second, Nashville and Charlotte are both booming cities in the same region. ( I always liked Nashville better, but I'll try to take my passion out of the way). I'm pretty sure Mr. Carroll knows that a major blow for Charlotte means points for Nashville. However, I am also sure he's not doing this for the sake of being a good Nashville citizen. He wouldn't buy 120 seats if he didn't plan to at least make ten times that much in this city. I think it really is a MAJOR vote of confidence in New Orleans.

THANK YOU MR. CARROLL !!! From now on, I know where I'll park my car!!!!
    Welcome to the board, Proud New Orleans!

Of course Mr. carroll would benefit from NOLA landing the team. He is just one example of how MANY businessess benefit from this kind of economic development. Just like owners of restaurants, bars, etc., will. This is not just about sports. It is real economic development. Mr Carroll, as well as other businessmenn need to 1) go tell our legislature how this will help them, and 2) step up and invest in Hornets tickets.

What Mr. Carroll realizes, and CLT people don't, is that THIS IS A BUSINESS DECISION, regardless of their personal opinions of the owners are. CLT's attitude of letting the team go because they don't like the owners is DUMB! Even if I did not care at all about basketball, I would be promoting economic development in New Orleans, and people with vision like Mr. Carroll can see that - short-sighted people with no vision cannot.

YOU GOTTA SAY IT OUT LOUD - "ELLIS HUGH! ELLIS HUGH! ELLIS HUGH! TIGERS!"

This just in - I decided to do a little web browsing to see how big a company Central Parking was (It's big - worldwide operations) and the ironic part of this deal is that Carell's company also operates parking lots in Charlotte - it's not easy to find on the web site, but if you go to the page in the link at the end of this paragraph and wait for the image on the lower left to cycle through, you will see the name of at least one facility they operate there (Nations Bank Building) and where they operate one lot, they operate more - you can't get around downtown NOLA without passing their lots. Central Parking Operations

And which city does Mr. Carell have more confidence in - NEW ORLEANS!! way to go Monroe Carell Jr.
    Last edited by say-what-x; 03-28-2002 at 11:34 PM.

Dude - What are you trying to infer?

By the way, Katz was one of the owners interviewed who could not say enough good things about N.O.'s presentation. He was ecstatic about it.

Originally posted by CharlotteDude
    By purchasing so many tickets, are they giving up on the Hornets staying in Charlotte?
    I hate to be redundant, but this move is a lock. This guy just knows it too.

Originally posted by Harvey Hornet

I hate to be redundant, but this move is a lock. This guy just knows it too.
    Hope you are right Harvey.

Rookie
    Originally posted by Westbank Hornet
    You know what I love about this story? I mean, beside the fact that is happening and it shows people from *outside* New Orleans have confidence in us. It's that Charlotte has been all over the boards with conspiracy stories about white knights coming in to help them, perhaps working behind the scenes and counter to what the league is *saying* it's saying because that's where real business gets done (or so they tell us naive waifs). Supposedly, this would happen because of Charlotte's inherent superiority and our inherent inferiority. Now here we get a rich guy who comes in to help *us.* He's finessing the "rules" the committee arbitrarily set down, and apparently that's fine with the NBA. Ha. Ha ha. Ha ha ha.
    I don't think your statement above is accurate. I have not been on this board to post negative comments about NOLA, just giving various opinions on what I see going on with the whole relocation issue. I think you guys are great to be as passionate as you are in an effort to win the Hornets, but don't make generic statements about CLT posters spouting "Consiperancy Theories" and making derogatory comments about NOLA. I have not done it, will not do it, PERIOD. In fact, I would like to visit NOLA at some point, as I really enjoy Cajun food, and would like to experience the true N'awlins atmosphere, and learn about the history, culture and most of all the food!

This is not about CLT vs. NOLA -- Good vs. Bad. It is two sets of good people vying for the Hornets BB team. Personally, I hope the Hornets stay here, but if they go to NOLA (and I am inclined to think that they will), I will be one of the first CLT posters to wish you guys well with the new team. Peace!
    Last edited by PSULions; 03-29-2002 at 11:59 AM.

Yeah, you must come try the food (having a crawfish boil this weekend, YUMMMMMMMMM).

Rookie
    Originally posted by HORNETSFAN
    Yeah, you must come try the food (having a crawfish boil this weekend, YUMMMMMMMMM).
    I love crawfish! What time should I be there?

One of the places that I like to go eat at during lunch is Dixie's Tavern here in Charlotte. Great cajun menu with nice scenery (the waitresses) if you know what I mean! Probably one of the closest things here to what you guys have down there.

Rookie
    god! do we always hve to end up talking about food? I am starving and won't get out of school for another hour and a half. and hell yes a crawfish boil sounds excelent right now
    I find your lack of faith .. DISTURBING

Hall of Famer
    Originally posted by PSULions

I don't think your statement above is accurate. I have not been on this board to post negative comments about NOLA, just giving various opinions on what I see going on with the whole relocation issue. I think you guys are great to be as passionate as you are in an effort to win the Hornets, but don't make generic statements about CLT posters spouting "Consiperancy Theories" and making derogatory comments about NOLA. I have not done it, will not do it, PERIOD. In fact, I would like to visit NOLA at some point, as I really enjoy Cajun food, and would like to experience the true N'awlins atmosphere, and learn about the history, culture and most of all the food!

This is not about CLT vs. NOLA -- Good vs. Bad. It is two sets of good people vying for the Hornets BB team. Personally, I hope the Hornets stay here, but if they go to NOLA (and I am inclined to think that they will), I will be one of the first CLT posters to wish you guys well with the new team. Peace!
    I believe it is accurate to say that Charlotte posters spout conspiracy theories and make derogatory statements about NOLA without saying that *all* Charlotte posters do so. If this was not clear, I apologize for seeming to over-generalize. Having been on the other side of over-generalization lately, I am sensitive to this.

Let me try to clarify. Many Charlotte posters have come on here and done these things. Enough, in fact, to give me some satisfaction at the irony in Mr. Carroll's offer to N.O.

I have nothing against you PSU. I have never been to Charlotte and can't really comment on what kind of place it is other than what I have read. It seems like a nice enough city that has some growing pains right now. I hope you get a chance soon to come down here, and that you take the opportunity to visit more than the French Quarter.

Hall of Famer
    Originally posted by todler
    god! do we always hve to end up talking about food? I am starving and won't get out of school for another hour and a half. and hell yes a crawfish boil sounds excelent right now
    Food is a passion here. Foreigners tend to visit for the music. Americans tend to visit to party. But if you ask New Orleanians what the miss when they aren't here, or what drives them to stay, they almost always mention the food.

Thread Information