Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nashville businessman steps up BIG!

News Nashville businessman steps up BIG!

ABC 26 reports that Mr. Monroe Carroll of the Central Parking Company has pledged to buy 10% of remaining club seats if that's what it takes to seal the deal. Mr. Carroll has business interests in New Orleans. He is a Nashville businessman. Also, Tenet Health Systems is going to be announced as a new corporate sponsor today.

I don't know how Mr. Caroll is going to get around the 25 ticket block rule.

Re: Nashville businessman steps up BIG!

Originally posted by spongey
    ABC 26 reports that Mr. Monroe Carroll of the Central Parking Company has pledged to buy 10% of remaining club seats if that's what it takes to seal the deal. Mr. Carroll has business interests in New Orleans. He is a Nashville businessman. Also, Tenet Health Systems is going to be announced as a new corporate sponsor today.

Woo Hoo Spongey always full of good news!

Well, if he is anything like some of the movers and shakers here in NOLA, I am sure he has a number of companies set up that he can write checks from, it's just a matter of shuffling the money as they say and it's all legit!

Also, we don't know what that 10% figure is. The full amount was about 1200 so that would only be 120 at most and depending on how many sold, that goes down all the time.

Re: Nashville businessman steps up BIG!

10% of the remaining tickets? If they get to 1800, that would leave 600. That would mean he will buy 60 seats. That certainly is very helpful, but would it seal the deal? (Am I understanding this correctly?)

Spongey, any news on updated ticket numbers?

Re: Re: Nashville businessman steps up BIG!

Originally posted by HORNETSFAN

10% of the remaining tickets? If they get to 1800, that would leave 600. That would mean he will buy 60 seats. That certainly is very helpful, but would it seal the deal? (Am I understanding this correctly?)
    True, I'm not certain if that would seal the deal but it certainly would help. Maybe this announcement will get others to make similar pledges to put us over the top.

Originally posted by CC_Hornet
    Spongey, any news on updated ticket numbers?
    The Hornets are going to hold a press conference in about ten minutes.

Originally posted by say-what
    Well, if he is anything like some of the movers and shakers here in NOLA, I am sure he has a number of companies set up that he can write checks from, it's just a matter of shuffling the money as they say and it's all legit!

Also, we don't know what that 10% figure is. The full amount was about 1200 so that would only be 120 at most and depending on how many sold, that goes down all the time.
    FOX 8 confirmed my hunch. He will disburse throughout his companies and GET THIS - HE IS BUYING 120.

He was one of the people instrumental in getting the NFL in Nashville and he is doing this because he has confidence in NOLA.

FOX 8 confirmed my hunch. He will disburse throughout his companies and GET THIS - HE IS BUYING 120.
    Geaux Monroe Carroll!!

Sweetness!!

He was one of the people instrumental in getting the NFL in Nashville and he is doing this because he has confidence in NOLA.
    Nothing like good news for N.O. the rest of the country will be crying. Great posts guys.

but what are we going to do if tornados destroy all

of Mr. Carrolls businesses??

The Franchise
    Thanks for that great news Spongey. You're the BOMB! Oh, and so are you Mr. Carroll!!!
    HANGIN' IN THE PELICANS ROOST!!

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    So, I am wondering, too, if the 120 is a part of the overall numbers released today (472?). If so, fine, if not, even better, much better. Let us not forget, Stern said that we needed to sell between 2000-2400 club seats. I'd like to get to the 2400, but if we get to the 2000, the NBA will have a very hard time turning us down. Let's get this done and bid good riddance to CLT!

Time for some football!!!

I heard a little more clarification on WWL Radio and they said that the NBA knows about Carroll's offer and would accept that because he owns 10 companies. But I missed something that made it sound like the purchase would take place if needed so these may not yet be counted in sales to date. You know how hard it is to understand BuddyD when you come in on the middle of his ramblings.
    Last edited by say-what-x; 03-28-2002 at 05:39 PM.

Rookie
    From listening to Buddy D, it appears that the Hornets ran the block of tickets that Mr. Carroll proposes buying by the NBA. The NBA said this would be ok since Mr. Carroll owns 10 different businesses.

Buddy D reported that Bill Hines told him this.

I know it was Buddy D and he has a hard time reporting anything correct, but just passing it on.

Rookie
    Say what, as best as I could interpet, I think they are not currently included. It is hard to interpet Buddy D!

I heard a little more clarification on WWL Radio and they said that the NBA knows about Carroll's offer and would accept that because he owns 10 companies. But I missed something that made it sound like the purchase would take place if needed so these may not yet be counted in sales to date. You know how hard it is to understand BuddyD when you come in on the middle of his ramblings.
    O.K. here is an article from WWL-TV. I don't think Carroll's tickets count yet based on this.

Hornets still 696 club tickets shy of goal
    WWLTV.com

Hornets officials announced Thursday the sale of 1,704 club seats - 696 short of the goal set by NBA Commissioner David Stern. A report on the status of the sales is due on Stern's desk by Wednesday, April 3. NBA Owners will vote on the proposed move from Charlotte during their meetings April 8-9.

The Easter holiday weekend figures to put a crimp in sales efforts.

There were some positive items for the Hornets. Nashville businessman Monroe Carroll said he would guarantee the sale of the final 10 percent of the 1,200 club tickets, if the team approaches the 2,400 goal. Carroll is the CEO of Central Parking, a company that owns several downtown lots.

Also, the team announced a corporate sponsorship with Tenet.

The Franchise
    Went to Charlotte board, as predicted they said our ticket numbers were bad and that the NBA would look bad on one business man buying large block of tickets. And according to them looks like the Hornet are staying in Charlotte. What dumbnuts.

Hall of Famer
    You know what I love about this story? I mean, beside the fact that is happening and it shows people from *outside* New Orleans have confidence in us. It's that Charlotte has been all over the boards with conspiracy stories about white knights coming in to help them, perhaps working behind the scenes and counter to what the league is *saying* it's saying because that's where real business gets done (or so they tell us naive waifs). Supposedly, this would happen because of Charlotte's inherent superiority and our inherent inferiority. Now here we get a rich guy who comes in to help *us.* He's finessing the "rules" the committee arbitrarily set down, and apparently that's fine with the NBA. Ha. Ha ha. Ha ha ha.

If that is the case, then we need 576 (as 120 of the 696 are guaranteed) by Tuesday (as report needs to be on Stern's desk by Wed). That means about 115 per day. Easter will make it tougher, but we are getting close!!!

Wow, if this guy buys 120 tickets at one of the cheaper club prices (approx $4000) that is almost a half a million a year and a $1,440,000 3 year commitment!

Originally posted by HORNETSFAN
    If that is the case, then we need 576 (as 120 of the 696 are guaranteed) by Tuesday (as report needs to be on Stern's desk by Wed). That means about 115 per day. Easter will make it tougher, but we are getting close!!!

Wow, if this guy buys 120 tickets at one of the cheaper club prices (approx $4000) that is almost a half a million a year and a $1,440,000 3 year commitment!
    Don't forget that Anheiser Busch and Coca Cola will also likely purchase club seats as part of their sponsorships.

Don't forget that Anheiser Busch and Coca Cola will also likely purchase club seats as part of their sponsorships.
    Did they mention anything about the status of those negotiations (or TV deals)?

The Franchise
    Originally posted by West Coast Hornet
    Let us not forget, Stern said that we needed to sell between 2000-2400 club seats.

West Coast,

Are you positive Stern said "2000-2400" or just 2400. I think we'll definitely get to 2400, but I didn't know that the 2000 goal was an option. Can you help me out with a link. Thanks

How much do you want to bet that when April 3 comes about the Hornets say that they have to reserve "X" number of club seats for their sponsors like they did with the suites?

Any takers?

IT'S IN THE BAG.

Thread Information