Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Look out Spongey!!!!

Rookie
    Or that North Carolina is a racist and homophobic place due to the long sting of comments made by Senator Helms who North Carolina re-elects like clockwork.

A case could be made for this based on the "offical" record in the Senate, not some idiot reporters "opinion" based on his own bias.

Rookie
    To make it clear, I do not think for a minute that the debate should be on matters of this nature (ie political & social), but people in glass houses should not throw stones.

And the National Media and especially the North Carolina media seems to be throwing them at New Orleans and Louisiana with a lack of restraint.

The debate should stay on the ability of the area to support the team and that should be done by comparing the effort in New Orleans to similar efforts made nationally.

Originally posted by MarignyJohn
    To make it clear, I do not think for a minute that the debate should be on matters of this nature (ie political & social), but people in glass houses should not throw stones.

And the National Media and especially the North Carolina media seems to be throwing them at New Orleans and Louisiana with a lack of restraint.

The debate should stay on the ability of the area to support the team and that should be done by comparing the effort in New Orleans to similar efforts made nationally.
    Agreed!

Originally posted by Adam the Legend
    I wonder what Charlotte's response would be if Aldridge had said they are a town full of jew haters because of the recently released comments by Billy Graham.
    Our city has been bashed as much as NO in this. But I don't see a lot of protest coming out of CLT when somebody writes and article or makes a quote.

Show me one article where Charlotte has been bashed at anywhere near the same level that New Orleans has.
    the Legend has spoken!

Starter
    RAINWATER, you said it best, you are a ROOKIE!
    until sac-town & the mavs learn to play defense, they will always be KOBE & SHAQ's.....you fill in the blanks.

Rookie
    Originally posted by rainwater

Our city has been bashed as much as NO in this.

In all honesty, no one in the NBA or the sports media covering the NBA has made such statements against North Carolina.

This matter has no more business in the relm of this debate than does the weather patterns (possiblity of a TORNADO???, I did not say it Aldridge did!) wiping out New Orleans, the lazzie faire attitude socially of people in New Orleans, characterizations of the populace as drunk and chasing women 24 hours, I could go on and on......with attacks by the national sports media against New Orleans in the past three months.

But I don't see a lot of protest coming out of CLT when somebody writes and article or makes a quote.
    I would hope that your elected leaders are moral enough to fight back against slurs against your city and state! Are you saying if a media person makes comments about the people of the Carolina's as being bigoted, no one there cares enough to respond? Not trying to inflame you, but I would think any decent person would take offense. I by the way to not subscribe to any theory that your city or state is any more anti-semetic than any other area of the country.
    Last edited by MarignyJohn; 03-25-2002 at 04:37 PM.

I would hope that your elected leaders are moral enough to fight back against slurs against your city and state! Are you saying if a media person makes comments about the people of the Carolina's as being bigoted, no one there cares enough to respond? Not trying to inflame you, but I would think any decent person would take offense. I by the way to not subscribe to any theory that your city or state is any more anti-semetic than any other area of the country.
    What is this, some type of {edited} contest to see who has had the most bad things said about them. North Carolina is a big sports state. Anytime you have major sports in your area, you will always have people bashing the state/cities. If you aren't used to it by now, thats too bad, because it will never stop.

Rookie

What is this, some type of {edited} contest to see who has had the most bad things said about them. North Carolina is a big sports state. Anytime you have major sports in your area, you will always have people bashing the state/cities. If you aren't used to it by now, thats too bad, because it will never stop.

No, just trying to see if you folks have any self respect in North Carolina. We do not take unjustified attacks against our state lightly, if that seems unusual, I could care less. We have a pride that must not exist in the Carolina's.

No, just trying to see if you folks have any self respect in North Carolina. We do not take unjustified attacks against our state lightly, if that seems unusual, I could care less. We have a pride that must not exist in the Carolina's.
    We have confidence in NC. Perhaps that is lacking in NO which would be the reason for people acting so upset.

The point here is that David Aldridge inadvertantly broadcasted some derogative statements he did not want heard on the air. He did not want them heard, because they were nasty things to say. He knew they were ugly statements. Things he would not want to be held accountable for in public. Well.....he said them and meant them. While he wished they would not be broadcast, they were. Anyone with any intelligence, no matter which city you are from, knows the innacuracies of stereotyping. Aldirdge, of all people should know that. So, he is an ignorant fool. Big deal. I think ESPN, not him, but ESPN owes some sort of acknowledgement of his improper comments. An apology from him is useless. He meant it. ESPN on the other hand can say they do not condone his type of remarks and hold him accountable. That is my issue. Anyone with brains would not be hurt by his words. They are not entirely true. The parts that had some truth were said in an angry and hateful manner. They are the words of a bitter and ignorant "man". The good news for him is that the network does not seem to be interested in holding him accountable. What if Dan Patrick had said DC was a predominantly black city infested with crack users, dope using mayors and useless street thugs. He would be right, but he would be in deep sh!t. You know why too. It is just not the kind of things that are supposed to come from people in a national media position.
    Last edited by Harvey Hornet-x; 03-25-2002 at 04:55 PM.

Originally posted by Harvey Hornet
    The point here is that David Aldridge inadvertantly broadcasted some derogative statements he did not want heard on the air. He did not want them heard, because they were nasty things to say. He knew they were ugly statements. Things he would not want to be held accountable for in public. Well.....he said them and meant them. While he wished they would not be broadcast, they were. Anyone with any intelligence, no matter which city you are from, knows the innacuracies of stereotyping. Aldirdge, of all people should know that. So, he is an ignorant fool. Big deal. I think ESPN, not him, but ESPN owes some sort of acknowledgement of his improper comments. An apology from him is useless. He meant it. ESPN on the other hand can say they do not condone his type of remarks and hold him accountable. That is my issue. Anyone with brains would not be hurt by his words. They are not entirely true. The parts that had some truth were said in an angry and hateful manner. They are the words of a bitter and ignorant "man". The good news for him is that the network does not seem to be interested in holding him accountable. What if Dan Patrick had said DC was a predominantly black city infested with crack users, dope using mayors and useless street thugs. He would be right, but he would be in deep sh!t. You know why too.
    I'm afraid an apology would only confirm people's beliefs about the city. The truth is very few people heard this. By issuing some type of apology, more people would know what he said. Many would say, "thats what I would say too". Sure, its a stupid image problem that NO is trying to get rid of. But ESPN can't do it.

Rainwater - You are making light of a relatively serious lack of judgment by Aldridge that affects our city. I do not care what you think as it does not effect you at all! This is not some light-hearted "bashing" between college teams as you compare it to. It was very derogatory comments against a segment of the population that should be taken seriously and it is not being so. So, if you do not like us talking about it here, you are quite welcome to leave to your little "paradise" in Charlotte. There is always charlotte.com for you.

I'm afraid an apology would only confirm people's beliefs about the city. The truth is very few people heard this. By issuing some type of apology, more people would know what he said. Many would say, "thats what I would say too". Sure, its a stupid image problem that NO is trying to get rid of. But ESPN can't do it.
    I don't want an apology. I just want to hear that it was the wrong thing for him to say. Their radio is syndicated here. The could do a 15 second ad segment for the locals only. I want ESPN to treat Aldridge as anyone else would be treated who said something so ignorant. It is all about who is saying what about who. Only certain whos get taken down. The other whos can say and do as they please. Double standards.

Hall of Famer
    Rainwater,
    Do you really know what David Aldridge said about New Orleans? Pretending that a comments to the effect people in New Orleans only have three-cents and that the city is only good for booze and chasing women as opposed to basketball is just an "opinion of someone who does this for a living" is sophistry. These are insults at which we have every right to take offense. They are no less obnoxious to us than John Rocker's comments about New York were to New Yorkers. It is interesting there weren't a lot of people telling New Yorkers to "get a grip" and that people always bash cities so they should get used to it.

As far as taking things like this personally, I *do.* When people make nasty generalizations about New Orleans and the people here, they are talking about *me,* my family and my friends, all of whom live are and are, by definition, included in your comments. I am not willing to absolve anyone who tries to say, after the fact, "oh don't take it personally," it's just an opinion -- I don't really mean *you.*"

These statements also have the unfortunate quality of being completely false. The consequence -- Mr Aldridge's comment are either lies or ignorance. Considering his evaluation of this area is part of his job, I think both possibilities are pretty bad.

As far as taking things like this personally, I *do.* When people make nasty generalizations about New Orleans and the people here, they are talking about *me,* my family and my friends, all of whom live are and are, by definition, included in your comments. I am not willing to absolve anyone who tries to say, after the fact, "oh don't take it personally," it's just an opinion -- I don't really mean *you.*"

I think we all got your back on this one Westbank. You call N.O. names then that means you are talking to everybody here. Yes, we take it big time personally. Aldrige needs to apologize or I don't think he should ever show his face here. I really don't think ESPN can let this slide. Everybody heard about it.

Originally posted by HORNETSFAN
    Rainwater - You are making light of a relatively serious lack of judgment by Aldridge that affects our city. I do not care what you think as it does not effect you at all! This is not some light-hearted "bashing" between college teams as you compare it to. It was very derogatory comments against a segment of the population that should be taken seriously and it is not being so. So, if you do not like us talking about it here, you are quite welcome to leave to your little "paradise" in Charlotte. There is always charlotte.com for you.
    I don't have a problem with anybody talking about it. But when you get mad because ESPN does not issue anapology, then I sort of have to laugh because you guys try to make this seem like its a national crisis.

The Franchise
    Originally posted by Westbank Hornet
    As far as taking things like this personally, I *do.* When people make nasty generalizations about New Orleans and the people here, they are talking about *me,* my family and my friends, all of whom live are and are, by definition, included in your comments. I am not willing to absolve anyone who tries to say, after the fact, "oh don't take it personally," it's just an opinion -- I don't really mean *you.*

Great post Westbank, and I agree.

Rainwater, I would like to appeal to your conscience. Though no New Orleanian is gonna die from Aldridge's comments, the fact of the matter is that it hurts. If you can imagine someone saying that what George Shinn has done in Charlotte shouldn't effect your community----just "get a grip"----would be careless at best. Some of those things have effected your community and that effect may definitely be warranted. When someone does or says something that hurts someone, the right thing to do is just admit that it was wrong.

We know people say and do wrong things all the time, it's just that we can't justify the wrong on the grounds that it's "reiterated a lot or he's just doing a job". I hope I assume correctly when I say you would never want the perception of what's going on in Charlotte as just George and Ray doing their job, because the effect is so much greater than that.
    HANGIN' IN THE PELICANS ROOST!!

Originally posted by RENFO

Great post Westbank, and I agree.

Rainwater, I would like to appeal to your conscience. Though no New Orleanian is gonna die from Aldridge's comments, the fact of the matter is that it hurts. If you can imagine someone saying that what George Shinn has done in Charlotte shouldn't effect your community----just "get a grip"----would be careless at best. Some of those things have effected your community and that effect may definitely be warranted. When someone does or says something that hurts someone, the right thing to do is just admit that it was wrong.

We know people say and do wrong things all the time, it's just that we can't justify the wrong on the grounds that it's "reiterated a lot or he's just doing a job". I hope I assume correctly when I say you would never want the perception of what's going on in Charlotte as just George and Ray doing their job, because the effect is so much greater than that.
    When the owners said that Charlotte can kiss their grits, I didnt see a lot of people in Charlotte getting upset about it.

Nobody is trying to justify Aldrigde's comments, but its not the most damaging thing thats ever been said about NO. If everybody was responsible for apoligizing everytime they said something bad about a city (that they mean), then all we would be doing is apologizing.

I'm just telling you that ESPN will not be issuing an apology. You have tried to make it worse than it was.

Or that North Carolina is a racist and homophobic place due to the long sting of comments made by Senator Helms who North Carolina re-elects like clockwork.

A case could be made for this based on the "offical" record in the Senate, not some idiot reporters "opinion" based on his own bias.
    MarignyJohn,

Careful with the stereotyping .. Mr. Aldridge is not a resident of NC (he made the comments) .. also .. where is David Duke from and what state elected him to public office??

Guys, let's turn this thread around so it isn't relegated to the smack board, please.

The Franchise
    If everybody was responsible for apoligizing everytime they said something bad about a city (that they mean), then all we would be doing is apologizing.

I'm glad you said that, because the reality is that we ARE responsible for every bad thing we do(the Bible's clear on that)and we should be always apologizing for WHATEVER wrong we do(called taking responsibility).

Originally posted by spongey
    Guys, let's turn this thread around so it isn't relegated to the smack board, please.
    Sorry about that Spongey .. you are right, my comments should have been placed on the smack board where they belong .. just replied to a the post .... my bad.

Our city has been bashed as much as NO in this. But I don't see a lot of protest coming out of CLT when somebody writes and article or makes a quote.

Oh please, don't make me

That is the most ridiculous thing I've heard yet.

Hall of Famer Contributor Hopeful Hugo's Avatar
    I can not think of many people in the media who has anything good to say about the move.
    Last edited by Hopeful Hugo; 03-26-2002 at 05:56 PM.
    Geaux Pells!

Thread Information