Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: VC to N.O????

Rookie
    I don't think Mag's has the reflexes and quick hands required by the inside guy in Scott's Princeton style offense. Magloire bobbles the ball a lot. He isn't the slowest guy but he has very heavy feet. I look at the VC and Rose deal as a new era for the Hornets. I think Rose is possibly/probably part of a three team trade I don't seee him winding up here. Although it could be worse. I also think Scott can keep the egos in check knowing that he has the owners full support behind him. And that he has the Rings and former player comradere going for him. It should be interesting from here on out and it is exciting to hear rumors about the Hornets. It is nice to have a team that players want to come and play on. Long Live Byron Scott!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rookie
    We could bring Moiso back he is very athletic and rode the bench the majority of last year with the raptors. I don't see them dealing Bosh he is their future. Mash/Mags &PJ for VC/Rose & Moiso. Maybe a DW or DA thrown in the mix or even Lynch. I say lets do it. Bring in the talent and build around them. This is the team Silas built. Time for a face lift. I am also pleased to see Shinn taking the Bull by the horns and putting a foot in Woolridge's mouth for a while. If it would only stay like this.....

Man lets just do this trade! We are definitely not going to be contenders in the west this season so lets biuld around VC and BD!

Majs will never bring as much value to a team as VC does.
    We should take it.

Ester aka Ms-Freek-A-Leek STHornet's Avatar
    Honestly, I can't see Shinn turning this deal down. We might not keep Rose, but IMO Vince will be a Hornet if this offer is true.
    Trade Mags & Rodgers for Lamar Odom

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! irish thug 527's Avatar
    No, I think Moiso may be a bad idea. He's like a stick and he didn't work out before with us. It'd be so much easier if we could just sign a center adn THEN trade Magloire.

Originally posted by Joe Horn(ets)
    Who else goes? Yao starts, that's a given. Other than that, he's battling out Brad Miller for the reserve.

If we get him involved in the offense, he'll make it. Only way he won't make it is if the center posistion becomes as underutilized as Scott made it with New Jersey.

Some of you don't realize how important Magliore is for the team. Put him on a San Antonio or Minnesota, and they get to the Finals.

BS!!!!!

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    I really don't know what we should do. My gut instinct says pull this trade and see if we can make it work. But I just know we won't get very far with no center on this team. To lose both PJ and Mags, would be counter productive unless we pulled in a star 4 or 5 (with size).

Other teams have tried this and failed. You can't play and win in the pros with a bunch of guards. I do think we will pull off this trade, strickly for the marketing. If we trade both PJ and Mags, the franchise is basically telling us that this team can't compete and we will give you an entertaining team to watch while much better structured teams come to town competing for playoff positions.

The bottom line is that this kind of deal work on the PS2, not in real life. Eventually the glut of guards will hold this team back, we will spend the next several years looking for someone to fill the huge void this trade would create.

Vince isn't as good as marketed by shoe companies, his injury statis the last few years has been unreal. But he has star power, kids want to see him so they will drag their parents to the Arena to see him (win or lose). In some ways this franchise needs this, but I can't imagine pulling this deal off like it is a sure thing to a title. I can see plenty of good points from both sides of this issue, no way is this a sure thing.

Draft Pick
    I don't think the Raptors will want to give up Bosh or Arrujo. I'd take Marshall though.

I totally agree with what you said NYKF. If we did the trade with both Brown and Mags and didn't get a GOOD big man somehow, there is no doubt in my mind this team WILL NOT be any better. We cannot have Anderson and West starting. That's not even an option. People underestimate the impact of big guys because they aren't the flashiest. However with our current lineup I don't see us going anywhere either. I can definitely see why there is such a split on this. It's not an easy decision. Sticking with what we got would be the safe thing to do, but in the long run I'm not sure if it would be best. I'm dying for us to make a splash and change things, so that might be effecting me too.
    Last edited by NOSA; 07-29-2004 at 12:52 AM.

This is one of those deals that looks good at first glance, mainly due to Vince Carter's name. But this would be a horrible deal for us unless we have another trade in the works to trade Mash and Wesley for decent starting quality big men (which I doubt). But, David West and Chris Anderson starting at PF or C will get you no more than 30 wins, even if you have BD, Rose, and Vince. Our team will get murdered every night.

Originally posted by kdalw1

BS!!!!!
    I don't think it is BS, Joe Hornets brings up a good point. Winning NBA basketball is not just running up and down the court draining jumpers. Like any other sport several positions get ignored by fans, yet are vital to the outcome of games (offensive lineman, 2nd string 4s and 5s, middle infielders).

Mags is very much under appreciated by the fans. There is a serious lack of decent big men in the game today. Having one is a major advantage. You don't think Mags could play off Duncan and KG? You don't think Mags, with the help of those major players, wouldn't make the Spurs or Wolves real contenders? Do you really feel Vince makes us a contender in the West without PJ and Mags?

This deal is about selling tickets, adding some kind of flash and interest to sell this team. I don't blame Shinn, he needs to do something like this . . . I thought he should have done it for Shaq. Just check out how many games Vince has played in the last two years, and ask yourself if Vince can handle an 82 game season or make this team a winner (he hasn't done it in TOR without a big man, in fact the last time Vince was a winner he had a decent big man playing the 5.

How do you suggest we match up against teams with Centers? Use Andersen? What if one of our big men gets injured, do you install the 4 guard set? How do plan to win when we can't get into the lane or make up for poor shooting nights?

It's not cut and dry, it's not a sure thing. It is interesting, and very attractive to younger fans (I can't deny that, even I'm considering the possibilities).

It's easier to replace swing men than big men. Enough said.

Drop me off in New Orleans CapitolHornet45's Avatar
    The thing I don't get is how everyone was sooo against trading Mags for Shaq, the most dominant player in the game, but now are willing to throw him to Toronto in a second for VC. I find that a little strange IMO seeing how Shaq is a much better player than VC. And, just for the record I'm on the fence about this deal at the moment. There's positives an negatives and I bet Shinn'll do it if he knows he can find decent big men thru FA or trades...

If the Saints could do it Contributor Joe Horn(ets)'s Avatar
    Originally posted by kdalw1

BS!!!!!
    Okay, nice argument.

Come on, tell me why is that BS. Tell me why giving up Magliore is smart.

Look, I (along with NYFK) was the main one preaching to bring in Shaq. I threw everyone but BD in mock proposals. I was the main one that stressed we needed a superstar alongside BD. I'll be the first to welcome a Vince Carter or Paul Pierce to N.O.

But for me to even have doubts about the trade has gotta tell you something. I'm sticking by my trade (Mash, PJ, Wesley, and DA). Once again, Vince isn't Superman. We don't need to throw our core front guys to get him and his big contract buddy.

I know he's exciting. I know he sells jerseys and tickets. Gives us national games, and makes N.O. an exciting team to watch, I'd love for that to be true. But I also wanna win. With the Shaq debate, I knew we would win with him and be an exciting team at the same time. With VC, we'll be exciting, but we won't be winners.

Like I said, I want Vince. And I'll give up anyone but BD and Mags to get him. But if Toronto thinks that it isn't enough, oh well.
    Last edited by Joe Horn(ets); 07-29-2004 at 01:02 AM.

Center is definately the most dominating(like to see kobe do tht-he cant!)and the hardest to replace. So if we do this trade we better be in a deal with an okay okay center.

Include Mash in the trade, no matter what. We cant hold 2 bad contracts (Mash & Rose). Trade JMags/PJ/ Mash 4 Vince/Rose/Marshall/ cash. Then spit the MLE on 2 playes like Rebreca & Clark(who played well in his time in Toronto). We would still have Wesley & DA as trade bait.

PG- Davis/Sham/Garcia
    SG- Rose/JR/Pickett
    SF- Vince/Lynch
    PF- Marshall/West
    C- Rebreca/Clark/Anderson
    Last edited by ALANGIBSON; 07-29-2004 at 01:07 AM.

For what it's worth, here are Gerry V's comments about this proposed trade. He's already addressed this issue in the V forum!

http://pelicansreport.com/vBulletin/...&postid=205872

Originally posted by gerryv
    So lets see Carter has a major contract and Rose is up there as well..numbers match???...Hmmmm..give up Magloire?? How many solid centers in the West?? Duncan and Ming...others are Power forwards......Raptors would love Magloire....Wesley and PJ Package...can't go West without a center so the deal doesn't make any sense....what would the front line be like??? Off the t op of my head Rose is at 40 plus million total??......I know they called about a deal but its old news since magloire had to be part of it.........Nah!

Basketball Guru Contributor
    No giving up JMag. It's that simple. Not for this deal.

Originally posted by MarieLSUbball3
    Center is definately the most dominating(like to see kobe do tht-he cant!)and the hardest to replace. So if we do this trade we better be in a deal with an okay okay center.
    This is what worries me. Will we make a deal for another 5?

Of course we will have to do something, because after this deal we will only have 2 big men (2nd string big men at that). What's left to trade . . . DW and Mash. It will be impossible finding some team to give us a starting 4 or 5 with those two.

We all know Mags is the deal breaker in this trade, TOR wants him. They have been deperate for a true starting 5 for years. Can NO make it work when the Raptors could not? I just don't think so.

Drop me off in New Orleans CapitolHornet45's Avatar
    Yeah this deal won't happen without Mags. They want a 5 and they think he'll sell tickets being a toronto native, however I think we could tell them that the hometown angle doesn't always workout lol

It MIGHT work if Toronto would give up Bosh and Araujo...

They just screwed us on the Mo Pete deal. Don't knuckle under to them. Play hardball. Thats what they are doing by demanding Mags.

If the Saints could do it Contributor Joe Horn(ets)'s Avatar
    Originally posted by Harvey Hornet
    It MIGHT work if Toronto would give up Bosh and Araujo...

They just screwed us on the Mo Pete deal. Don't knuckle under to them. Play hardball. Thats what they are doing by demanding Mags.
    That's what I'm talking about Harv. I don't think this team plays hardball enough with these other teams.

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    Originally posted by 5O4Hornet
    Finally someone with common sense!!! Thank you saints fan in A!!! Yall must want the Hornets to suck next year!
    You're out of line dude. I'll take that as an insult to me since I replied to you. Think before you write.

Time for some football!!!

Magloire is certainly valuable, but I think we need to consider how he may feel about it. We need to think about potential ramifications. We have the chance to receive a top ten caliber player with a chip on his shoulder. Jamaal has expressed interest in wanting to return to Toronto, I certainly dont want to keep him if he becomes disillusioned with us because we didnt make his dream come true. While I consider Baron and Mags building blocks I also realize that they did not have their best stretches of basketball with each other on the court. I'm mainly talking about Magloire not playing as well with Baron as he did when ShamWill ran the show the latter part of the season. We alson know what style Byron was apart of in LA and what he did in NJ. Jalen Rose is capable of playing 3 positions on the court, the possibility of having BD, Rose and Carter is quite enticing. In my opinion in order for this to work we need to do one or more of the following. 1) Keep PJ or 2) we Get Arujo, Bosh or Marshall, we certainly cannot field a team with THIS MANY wings and no bigs. Re-signing Traylor is a must with any trade

However I would consider throwing the MLE at Dampier and the veterans 1.1 million at Robert Horry, if we do decide to do this trade provided we keep PJ or receive a big

Here are some different lineup possibilities

Baron
    Jalen
    Vince
    PJ/West/Horry
    Arujo/Andersen

or

Baron
    Jalen
    Vince/
    Marshall/West/Horry
    Dampier/Andersen

I am on the fence about this one, the names entice me, the weakness downlow scares me, If we could keep PJ get a big man from them and Get Dampier down here I say why not.
    Chad Shinn's Drinking Buddy.

Originally posted by MarieLSUbball3
    Man those people in toronto are kinda mean,This is what some of the toronto fans think (If ya care)

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtop...asc&highlight=

i gotta question: Did big cats brother really get murdered in toronto? ( I never new that)
    This was an interesting read. These Toronto fans seem to think that PJ is absolutely useless and Magloire is average to good. What really surprises me is that some of them suggest throwing in Mash to give them a replacement scorer on the wing. I almost laughed when I saw them trying to work BD into the deal. It was weird to see fans like us chatting away in another city about another team.

They all agree that they're the ones getting screwed in this deal. If they think they're getting screwed and we think we're getting screwed, then I hope this deal doesn't happen for everybody's sake!
    Last edited by Snat_Man; 07-29-2004 at 02:01 AM.

Thread Information