Pelicans Report

Thread: The official Hornets Press Release on Scott {merged w/ transcript}

The official Hornets Press Release on Scott

Am I good or what - before they even get it up on their home page and about 30 minutes before the press conference:

Scott Named New Hornets Head Coach

New Orleans – The New Orleans Hornets announced they have hired Byron Scott as the seventh head coach in franchise history. Per team policy, terms of the contract were not released.

“We said we would go out and get the best available coach on the market and we succeeded,” said Hornets Owner George Shinn. “Now that we have Byron on board, we can concentrate on helping him succeed by continuing to do whatever it takes to make this team better.”

Scott comes to the Hornets after three-and-a-half seasons in New Jersey (2000-03), during which time he compiled a 149-139 (.517) record and took the Nets from the bottom of the Eastern Conference (only three teams were worse the season before he arrived) to one of the NBA’s elite teams. The Nets reached the NBA Finals twice under Scott’s leadership (2002 and 2003) and won back-to-back Atlantic Division titles.

“The reason we were able to get a coach who not only meets all the qualities we were looking for, but exceeds them, was the tremendously thorough job that George Shinn did in conducting this search and fulfilling his promise to get the best man for the job,” said Hornets Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations and General Manager Bob Bass.... (more)

If the Saints could do it Contributor Joe Horn(ets)'s Avatar
    Nice find, I was wondering why Hornets.com hadn't put anything about Scott yet.

You must date the editor. Good quickness and agility!! Say - What? !!!
    We had quite a few interesting conversations as we pondered and navigated the nightly canopy.

Re: The official Hornets Press Release on Scott

Originally posted by say-what
    “Now that we have Byron on board, we can concentrate on helping him succeed by continuing to do whatever it takes to make this team better.”
    Boy, I like the sound of that!

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    How long does it usually take for them to post the whole transcript? I look forward to reading it. Unlike the Saints, Hornets management usually say meaningful things.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

The transcript usually goes up within 2 hours or so. I guess it just depends on how soon after the press conference that the guy who transcribes it gets around to it.

Transcript from B. Scott Press Conference

link:
    http://www.nba.com/hornets/news/scot...ce_040528.html

Scott Press Conference Transcript

BOB BASS

It’s good to be up here today and not have to say (the media) no comment. Today, we get to comment. About a week ago, we talked about some things in a press conference. Mr. Shinn stepped forward and said we’re going to get a proven coach and we’ve done that. He said he’s going to spend some money and he’s done that. He made a promise and I think he fulfilled the promise and we’ve signed a coach we’re extremely excited about. He’s really got a good track record as a player, a great track record as a coach and we’re surely excited about it. Now, I’ll turn things over to Mr. George Shinn…

GEORGE SHINN

Bob I appreciate you and we were going out on this search, not being a basketball person, Bob reminded me of that and he started quizzing me on what kind of questions are you going to ask. You just can’t ask (the coaching candidate) how many children he has, where he went to college and things like that. This is not a normal interview. So Bob gave me a long list, several pages of questions I had to ask prospects. And, quite frankly, it made me look like I knew what I was doing on the interviews. Bob, I appreciate all the effort you’ve given us over the years and the effort and involvement that you had in making this deal work. Without you, it could not have happened. I love you and appreciate you, partner.

{mod edit - please don't post entire articles}

Stealth Mode: Active Lurkaholic's Avatar
    Great read. Thanks for posting.

Thread Information