Pelicans Report

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: VC to N.O????

Originally posted by STHornet

That trade propsal might be rejected, but they could still be talking about adding other players to the deal.
    Just saying the rumor everyone is so worked up about and saying we should or should not accept has already been rejected by the Hornets. I'm sure there are other talks with Toronto and other teams, but those proposals have not come to light.

Ester aka Ms-Freek-A-Leek STHornet's Avatar
    Originally posted by Cory1079
    If its already been rejected then why are we still talking about it?

I need some clarity on this vinsanity.
    The Hornets could make a counter proposal.

Originally posted by STHornet

The Hornets could make a counter proposal.
    i'm pretty sure HORNETS are working the phones!

nola proud
    i think the hornets are working the phones, too

If only there was some way to take Mags out of the picture, I'd be all for it...

The Franchise
    Originally posted by HORNETSFAN
    I would not give up Mags.
    The Hornets can't afford to lose Big Cat or P.J. without getting someone equivalent in talent at the 4 and/or 5. I say don't do it! Vince is definitely not the answer!
    HANGIN' IN THE PELICANS ROOST!!

nola proud
    Mags wants to go to toronto

Originally posted by moohornet
    look at the top of this http://www.tsn.ca/nba/teams/player_b...=64&hubName=NO
    Um, he's a Laker now. http://www.tsn.ca/nba/teams/player_b...64&hubName=LAL

Stop the foolishness guys. Last warning.

nola proud
    ^^^lol

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! irish thug 527's Avatar

Originally posted by moohornet
    has anyone forgotten that we can trade rose when/if we get him for a center!
    and if mash passes his pychical we can trade him for a pf!!
    If it were that easy, Toronto would have done that a long time ago. They have had a need for a center for a while and Rose's contract is huge!

If the Saints could do it Contributor Joe Horn(ets)'s Avatar
    Toronto Gm was on their radio and denied the rumor. Now all the Toronto fans think it wasn't discussed. My goodness, they have some gullible fans. What do they expect their GM to say, that he was actually shopping around VC?

nola proud
    is this rumor officially over?

Formerly "Rocket Man" groundpatty's Avatar
    I hope not.

seeking a higher level Contributor Wingman's Avatar
    (V)insanity never dies, it's always lurking in the human subconsciousness...

:wallA:
    Last edited by Wingman; 07-29-2004 at 03:02 PM.
    Narcissists do not apologize, they just reinterpret the facts.

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    Originally posted by Raptors_Fan
    I just had to register.

I agree that the current deal really doesn't make much sense for either team. VC's popularity would be great for the Hornets but they lose their starting PF and C. Baron Davis and VC would easily be the best backcourt in the league but that wouldn't do much good with such a thin front court. Magloire being a C and Toronto native would be great for Toronto but they lose their franchise player. VC and Rose are the teams top two scorers and without them there would be virtually no perimeter offense.

{edited by mod - smack}

The ones who say you would love Vince but only if Baron Davis(great player) and Magloire(very good player, Toronto native) aren't involved. You do realize that the Raptors would only want one of those two guys, right? Why the hell would they trade Vince for any combination of Mashburn(injured), PJ Brown, DA, DW? It would be the equivalent of the Hornets trading Baron Davis to the Raptors for any combination of Rose(at least he's healthy) Donyell Marshall, Alvin Williams and Morris Peterson.

{edited by mod - smack}

And for the guy who said he would only make the deal if Bosh and or Aruajo were involved. LOL. {edited by mod - smack} Do you know who Chris Bosh is? Just to fill you in, he was the 4th overall pick in last years NBA draft behind Lebron, Darko and Carmelo. He's 20 years old and only played 1 year of college ball at Georgia Tech. Had he stayed another year he probably would have been the #1 selection in this year's draft. He put up 11.5 PPG, 7.4 RPG, 1.4 BPG, 0.8 SPG IN HIS ROOKIE SEASON. Not only did he do that, but he did it playing out of position at C at 230 pounds.

I don't think the Raptors would deal Bosh for Magloire straight up. And you talk about this guy like he's a throw in?

And if that wasn't bad enough, you say you want, "Bosh and/or Araujo."

The most popular player in the league, top 5 SG, arguably top 10 player in the league + one of the most promising young PFs in the league who was a top 5 pick 1 year ago isn't enough for JAMAAL MAGLOIRE and PJ BROWN?! You also would want Rafael Araujo who was the Raptors' #8 pick this year.

What's next, you don't want to involve Magloire at all? PJ Brown and Mashburn should be enough for Vince and Bosh shouldn't it?

Some of you guys blow my mind. How can you be enough of a fan to post on an internet message board but not even have the slighest idea of the value of certain players.

For the record, I hope this trade is just BS and I would be shocked if it wasn't. If Vince is going to New Orleans then Baron is the guy who should be coming back since those two are much closer in value than Vince and Magloire are.
    I thought Canadians were polite, but I guess I was wrong. This is not your run of the mill smack internet site. If you can't deal with our rules, go troll somewhere else. This is a good thread even if it is played out. I'd hate to see it end up in the trash bin. Thumbs down.

Time for some football!!!

Regardless of what was felt about the "smack" he was running, Raptors_fan made sense with everything he said. I think we suffer from a little thing called homerism in which we overvalue our players at the expense of other team's players.

Originally posted by Saints Fan in A
    Regardless of what was felt about the "smack" he was running, Raptors_fan made sense with everything he said. I think we suffer from a little thing called homerism in which we overvalue our players at the expense of other team's players.
    And Raptors fans are what - - - notoriously objective when it comes to the value of their own players??????

No, but to think that "box office" Vince Carter isn't worth giving up Jamaal Magloire is absurd. We love PJ Brown but he's highly paid for his contributions. He's a good player but very highly paid for what he does, not discounting even his locker room influence. By the end of next season he will be working under a certified "bad contract" for the Hornets and may not even be the starter if things work out well with David West.

Also, Chris Bosh is a budding star. They wouldn't trade Bosh for Baron Davis. He has the makings of a mix between Kevin Garnet and Tim Duncan apparently actually wants to be there. They also have him on the cheap for the next three years and are trying to save money.

We can continue to glorify this .500 team or we can look forward to change for the better. By the way, we don't have any cap space so if we're going to get somebody, we're gonna have to trade somebody to get somebody.

seeking a higher level Contributor Wingman's Avatar
    Just heard Willis Reed on Gerry V's show. When Gerry asked him about the VC & Rose for Mags, PJ & cash offer Toronto proposed, Reed replied, "Well, you can always ask." Gerry V called it a "preposterous proposition."

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    Originally posted by bzbee
    Just heard Willis Reed on Gerry V's show. When Gerry asked him about the VC & Rose for Mags, PJ & cash offer Toronto proposed, Reed replied, "Well, you can always ask." Gerry V called it a "preposterous proposition."
    Absolutely! I can't believe for a second that anyone is willing to create a gaping hole at the 5 just to bring in a 2 on a guard-loaded team. This is really starting to amaze me. It just goes to show you how "diverse" the fan base can be.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Vince Carter is as big as a liability as Mashburn.... the Raptors seriously overvalue him.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Originally posted by Unknown Poster
    Vince Carter is as big as a liability as Mashburn.... the Raptors seriously overvalue him.
    come on UKP, this can't be your honest opinion...maybe the Raps overvalue him a bit, but to say VC is a liability like Mash is ridiculous...Mash is a cancer...VC is not...Mash is hurt a lot more than VC is...

VC is selling tix with his name and later on with his great game and his electrifying basketball...Mash isn't even sitting on the bench when injured...

VC is 5 years younger and way more of a team player...now tell me this is wrong...thanks

Originally posted by Saints Fan in A
    No, but to think that "box office" Vince Carter isn't worth giving up Jamaal Magloire is absurd.
    No, it's not absurd, it's opinion - the same opinion the Hornets had when confronted with this proposal.
    We love PJ Brown but he's highly paid for his contributions. He's a good player but very highly paid for what he does, not discounting even his locker room influence. By the end of next season he will be working under a certified "bad contract" for the Hornets and may not even be the starter if things work out well with David West.
    Not saying we shouldn't trade PJ, but we need to get a younger 4 in return?

Also, Chris Bosh is a budding star. They wouldn't trade Bosh for Baron Davis. He has the makings of a mix between Kevin Garnet and Tim Duncan apparently actually wants to be there. They also have him on the cheap for the next three years and are trying to save money.
    Hey, if Toronto wants to propose a preposterous trade, why can't we ask for something equally preposterous in return. My suggestion to seek Bosh and/or Aruajo in return on this deal was to emphasize the importance that the Hornets place on Magloire. We're not going out West without any bigs or the ability to trade for bigs.

We can continue to glorify this .500 team or we can look forward to change for the better. By the way, we don't have any cap space so if we're going to get somebody, we're gonna have to trade somebody to get somebody.
    Trading JMag and PJ (it couldn't just be these 2 players b/c the salaries don't come close to matching, you'd need to include several other Hornets to match the $$$) for VC and Rose was not going to make the Hornets winners on the court or in the stands - people in NOLA won't come out to watch "Stars" lose. We may have been without the NBA for 23 years, but we're not stupid and can see through attempts to "change the team to attract ticket sales" and "change the team to win."

Oh, one last thing on how we value our players.

While JMag may not be the most popular player on the Hornets roster in the eyes of the fans and he's not viewed here as a major draw by the fans, that does not mean he's looked upon the same by other organizations. Based on fan and media comments in Toronto and the Raptors willingness to offer VC as part of a trade to acquire JMag, the fans of Toronto and the Raptors organization obviously value JMags as being on par or better than VC in terms of value on and off the court.

So why should we discount JMags value to the Raptors by only considering his value in light of the NOLA market - you need to take into account his value in the Toronto market. So asking a premium of Toronto to acquire a player they covet and highly value is not unreasonable - particularly when they try to throw in Rose and his bad contract.

Thread Information