Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PJ BROWN RE-SIGNS WITH THE HORNETS???

If the Saints could do it Contributor Joe Horn(ets)'s Avatar

Breaking News PJ BROWN RESIGNS WITH THE HORNETS???

Spurs Lose Another Free Agent
    LAST UPDATE: 7/11/2003 10:58:46 PM
    Posted By: Mike Klein

With the Spurs losing Jason Kidd it's time to move to plan B? But, that has now changed to plan C.

New Orleans Hornets Forward PJ Brown is no longer an option, his agent Mark Bartlestein confirming that Brown has agreed to stay in New Orleans. News 4 has also learned that that the Spurs were close to landing PJ Brown late Friday night, but that, Brown chose a four year 40 million dollar deal over the Spurs offer of five years. Keep watching and listening to News 4 WOAI and the Ticket760 for all the latest Spurs free agent news.

www.spursreport.com

TAKE THIS AS A RUMOR

Last edited by Joe Horn(ets); 07-12-2003 at 12:50 AM.

Ester aka Ms-Freek-A-Leek STHornet's Avatar
    yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Trade Mags & Rodgers for Lamar Odom

Hold up, we gave P.J. 10 million a year???? when we could get Band or Maggette for that price

I guess from the report yes, but note, I got this from the ESPN Boards and they got this from Spursreport.com, so there is no way should we confirm it yet, Im waiting to see myself, so Im not trying to get over excited, I'll wait and see.

http://boards.espn.go.com/cgi/nba/re...a=nba&count=50

The news has made itself to alot of teams boards. ^^^

I looked and there is a such thing call Spurs Report, but the page will not open. 10 mil for P.J. is STUPID!!!!

http://boards.espn.go.com/cgi/nba/re..._min&id=147076

This poster says he seen it on ESPN Insider, this may be true!!!

http://boards.espn.go.com/cgi/nba/re..._min&id=147076

News from ESPN INsider: PJ Brown has resigned with the New Orleans Hornets for an estimated $40 million. THe Spurs who lost the chance to sign Jason KIdd capped off a disastrous day when they could not snap Brown.

Here is the link to Spurs Report-

http://www.ticket760.com/script/head...tvilocalsports

If we gave him that kind of $$$, that is crazy. Can we even give him that much since he only made $7 million last season?

Insiders on ESPN have searched and they say they can't find the info.

So right now I think this may be BS, I don't think PJ will get that kind of money, and I don't trust SpursReport.com when its down right now, so like I said, we'll see.

Originally posted by HORNETSFAN

If we gave him that kind of $$$, that is crazy. Can we even give him that much since he only made $7 million last season?
    I love PJ and all, but if we gave him that type of money, that's crazy. That has to be a sign of desperation if it is true. It's good if he's here to stay. It's bad if it's for that type of money.

http://boards.espn.go.com/cgi/nba/re..._orl&id=284033

That is cgisclair, me and him are cool and he does indeed know someone from WWL, so this is looking more and more true.

Originally posted by HORNETSFAN

Yes. We have his bird rights. He's a 10 years plus veteran meaning that he can get a base salary of like 35% of the cap. The cap is supposed to be around 42.3 million so the Hornets could give him around $15 million if they wanted.

I don't mind the 10 million as much as the 4 years. I don't think PJ will be nearly as good in 4 years as he is now and he will be a cap albatross. On the other hand, he and Mash will come off the books in the same year and the Hornets will have loads of cap space to offer to a free agent who would like to play with Big Cat, Baron and West.

Basketball Guru Contributor
    Wow--we'll know very soon if this is true. All I know is Floyd and Bass said that PJ was a part of the future plans for the Hornets at the draft party (press conference). Maybe they are putting their money where their mouths are! The Hornets have no choice but to pay him that much with other teams needing him if they really want him to stay. IMO, it's the length (4 years) that is more significant than the money. They plan on him being important for at least that long--I would be surprised if he's worth that much (10 million) every year for the next 4 years.

PJ Brown has resigned with the New Orleans Hornets for an estimated $40 million. THe Spurs who lost the chance to sign Jason KIdd capped off a disastrous day when they could not snap Brown.

I'm With A-GO Contributor jeeves's Avatar
    Looks like Shinn has turned from cheap to stupid. PJ isnt worth 10 million a year now and there is no way he will be in 3 or 4 years from now. Looks like the hornets will me a mediocre side for the next few years, just like we have been for a while. Im not sayin that PJ is useless, but he isnt worth that kind of money and it ruins any chances of signing a decent FA in the future.

great to have him back, we can't change anything about this situation right now, but one thing is for sure, PJ will do his best to help the HORNETS get a shot at this damn ring!!!

and no way guys like Maggette or Brand would have come here, they are already linked way too much with other teams!!!

HORNETS can still sign decent backups with the MLE!!!

great move by Shinn, he is changing completely over in NO!!!

GO HORNETS!!!

Starter
    MY god are the management crazy 40mill over 4 years ?!

This will kill any chance of signing any other FA's and most likely will cost us Magilore aswell. If this is true you may as well pack your bags for mediocre for the next 4 years.
    Reset

I said PJ would not return and I was wrong wrong wrong, I'm glad he will stay, but $10,000,000 a year ??????

Well, the Spurs did want PJ really bad. It looks like they made one last push to offer him 40M for 5 years and the Hornets ended up countering with 40M for 4 years (initially the Hornets offered a 3yr contract that the agent responded to by indicating make it 4 and it's a deal) according to the T-P.

Anyway, I'm not upset that PJ is back.

Awesome baby!!!!

I'm glad he's back, but that is a bit much. Of course, he earned that kind of leverage because so many teams wanted him. Say goodbye to J-Mo, because the rest of our cap money has to go to shore up the back court. Personally, I'd rather see Moiso's minutes go to West anyway, who I see as a more complete player.
    the Legend has spoken!

Wait, weren't we told by certain people that certain team owners were too cheap to offer enough money to keep their key players?

Guess this proves them wrong.

GO HORNETS - BEAT L.A.
    NEW ORLEANS HORNETS - 2003-04 NBA CHAMPIONS

You are right they are not cheap, That was a Charlotte condition. The fumes from the refineries have made them stupid....but not cheap.

Originally posted by Trueblood

Yes. We have his bird rights. He's a 10 years plus veteran meaning that he can get a base salary of like 35% of the cap. The cap is supposed to be around 42.3 million so the Hornets could give him around $15 million if they wanted.

I don't mind the 10 million as much as the 4 years. I don't think PJ will be nearly as good in 4 years as he is now and he will be a cap albatross. On the other hand, he and Mash will come off the books in the same year and the Hornets will have loads of cap space to offer to a free agent who would like to play with Big Cat, Baron and West.
    yeah, then maybe we can go after Lerbon James in 4 years from now

Thread Information