Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: BET Founder makes offer for Hornets

Originally posted by HORNETSFAN
    What does it say about Charlotteans when as soon as an African American supposedly offers to buy a team, they spout off that it is racism if the NBA does not force a sale to him. Give me a break!
    It says that 1 person doesnt speak for the rest of the city. I'm sure I could find a few posts from NO posters that wouldnt be too flattering on NO people as well.

What does it say about Charlotteans when as soon as an African American supposedly offers to buy a team, they spout off that it is racism if the NBA does not force a sale to him. Give me a break!
    I would be offended if the NBA had a chance to keep a team in a proven city and with a black owner and they did not encourage it. Wouldnt you? but I guess this is why there are so few African American coaches and Owners.

Considering that the pace of the N.O. sales is better than it was for Charlotte when Charlotte was trying to get an expansion team, I think we are OK.
    HORNETS FAN....you may be right...I don't know and really don't care to get into comparisons...I have never been a Hornet supporter but am a Charlotte taxpayer thus my interest in this debate. From what I understand though...5 weeks equals 5000 seats...there are two weeks to go...Sure, everyone knows that any remaining seats will be purchased by Shinn or Woolridge to save face, but don't you also think that the other NBA owners will know the truth? And how will this look to the league? Don't care what anyone has to say in response...this is a BIG issue.

Okay..I lied...(Dang Shinn and Woolrdige taught me bad habits)...I said I didn't want to get into comparisons but since you brought it up...compare the demographics of Charlotte's back in the 80s to that of NO today...I think the population of NO far outweighs that of CLT....therefore comparing apples to apples, NO should far outwiegh CLT in ticket purchases...

Originally posted by originalbugs

I would be offended if the NBA had a chance to keep a team in a proven city and with a black owner and they did not encourage it. Wouldnt you? but I guess this is why there are so few African American coaches and Owners.
    The NBA has no reason to attempt to force a sale of a team regardless of who the offer is from, plain and simple!

originalbugs, if all you are here to do is stir the racism pot, then you are not welcome. how does say-what saying "we are more proud of our hornets than charlotte is" have ANYTHING at all do with race?
    I apologize. I will tone it down then. It just gets me fustrated with the chance of losing a team and the man trying to keep us down.

Originally posted by SouthernTater

Okay..I lied...(Dang Shinn and Woolrdige taught me bad habits)...I said I didn't want to get into comparisons but since you brought it up...compare the demographics of Charlotte's back in the 80s to that of NO today...I think the population of NO far outweighs that of CLT....therefore comparing apples to apples, NO should far outwiegh CLT in ticket purchases...
    except charlotte didn't also have an nfl team to support. we are fully capable of supporting both, but i think it is inevitable that the hornets will have negative effect on the saints, and vice-versa.

The NBA has no reason to attempt to force a sale of a team regardless of who the offer is from, plain and simple!
    But this will encourage the block of a move. Which they can do.

I apologize. I will tone it down then. It just gets me fustrated with the chance of losing a team and the man trying to keep us down.
    Don't you see that this IS racist thinking. One city really want's a team. Another city wants to keep the team they have. All understandable. One person (that's PERSON, not black person) wants to buy the team. But the team is not for sale. NOT "the team is not for sale to black people", but "the team is not for sale PERIOD." The owners will not sell the team to white people either.

Where does "the man" come into this at all? These are color-blind issues. The only one injecting race into this is you. Now stop.

YOU GOTTA SAY IT OUT LOUD - "ELLIS HUGH! ELLIS HUGH! ELLIS HUGH! TIGERS!"

The Franchise

Re: Race Card

Being an African-American, I'm appalled at the way this situation (re: Robert Johnson) has been twisted to make everything fall right into place for the city of Charlotte as some are hoping. You guys don't care about this guy at all. He merely serves as a panacea to your ills. I would shudder to think of some of the things he could become in some of your minds considering the arrogance of some of your posts in the past and most recent present if he was to make some of the slightest mistakes George Shinn made. Think about it! Scary!
    HANGIN' IN THE PELICANS ROOST!!

Originally posted by westbank chris

except charlotte didn't also have an nfl team to support. we are fully capable of supporting both, but i think it is inevitable that the hornets will have negative effect on the saints, and vice-versa.
    I do agree with this Westbank...Any city likes the idea of a prosports team...We did as well when the Hornets first came...Then we saw the real side of George. Atleast I did. Call it whatever you want, but it is the truth.

Then the Panthers came and being that we now had two pro teams, fans could choose to watch whatever they choose. They did...Plus the fact that the fans prefer the ownership of the Panthers over the Hornets. Some say that CLT shots itself in the foot. I tend to disagree. Will we lose the Hornets, probably so but we will all have to wait and see..It is a strange world out there today and stange things happen everywhere. Bottom line though, I applaud the city for standing up. Even if the Hornets leave, the city did what the majority of the tax-payers wanted which is to stand up to Ray and George. Sure, they approved the arena deal even though it was turned down, but it was turned down due to Ray and George demands...The new deal does not involve Ray and George...Will the new deal involve the Hornets....We will just have to wait and see for the answer to that question.

Originally posted by izzydean

It says that 1 person doesnt speak for the rest of the city. I'm sure I could find a few posts from NO posters that wouldnt be too flattering on NO people as well.
    I agree izzydean. Most of the people from Charlotte & New Orleans that I have dealt with on both boards are respectful - there are always problems. We all have our opinions one way or the other about this and I respect that. We also tend to inject a little humor and sarcasm into our posts from time to time.

This is not a personal matter, life's too short to take any of this personally.

Don't you see that this IS racist thinking. One city really want's a team. Another city wants to keep the team they have. All understandable. One person (that's PERSON, not black person) wants to buy the team. But the team is not for sale. NOT "the team is not for sale to black people", but :the team is not for sale PERIOD." The owners will not sell the team to white people either.
    It becomes a divide in color when you notice the average income differences and the less of oppurtunities because of it. And a man that has beat the odds has a chance to break more barriers. Dont you agree?

Please stop the racism discussion or this thread will be reported and closed. It is too heated a topic to continue the discussion.

Being an African-American, I'm appalled at the way this situation (re: Robert Johnson) has been twisted to make everything fall right into place for the city of Charlotte as some are hoping. You guys don't care about this guy at all. He merely serves as a panacea to your ills. I would shudder to think of some of the things he could become in some of your minds considering the arrogance of some of your posts in the past and most recent present if he was to make some of the slightest mistakes George Shinn made. Think about it! Scary!
    The people of charlotte want to keep their team but I think the word you are looking for is honored to have him as an Owner. He is the man with the power not us and he is the one that wants to keep the team in Charlotte. and Charlotte supports that 100%

Re: Re: Race Card

Originally posted by RENFO
    Thats the biggest racist comment on this board. I have mentioned several times how I would love for Robert Johnson to be the owner of the Charlotte Hornets, and not because he is black, but because he knows how to run an organization. All Charlotte wants is a respectable owners and ones that care about the fans, even New Orleans would agree with that.

Please stop the racism discussion or this thread will be reported and closed. It is too heated a topic to continue the discussion.
    Thanks Hornetsfan...that was needed....Doesn't play into the equation at all or atleast shouldn't....If should be viewed as an offer was made, regardless of who made it...

Can we at least all agree that the only color the NBA and any other sports league cares about is green?
    the Legend has spoken!

Banned
    It wasn't just any offer. Charlotte is desperate and trying to put Stern on the spot!

It becomes a divide in color when you notice the average income differences and the less of oppurtunities because of it. And a man that has beat the odds has a chance to break more barriers. Dont you agree?
    Look freind, this is not the forum to debate race equity throughout history. I totally agree with you that minorities have not had the same opportunities throughout history. But to say that a team owner who never had any intention of selling his team, and who turns down an offer from Robert Johnson is somehow racially motivated is rediculous.

Oops, sorry HORNETSFAN, was typing and never saw warning before I posted. Mods can delete me if they see a need.

I dont think thats what he is saying. I think all Charlotte posters are just saying that this adds to the fire, its another thing the NBA may have to look at. Because right now there is no black owners in the NBA and they could have a chance to get one.

Originally posted by Adam the Legend
    Can we at least all agree that the only color the NBA and any other sports league cares about is green?
    Now THAT I agree with.

Originally posted by NBAHornets
    It wasn't just any offer. Charlotte is desperate and trying to put Stern on the spot!
    Don't disagree, but can you 100% say that this offer was created by Charlotte? I don't remember reading that in his statement. Besides, Charlotte said that an offer would be made. This may or not be that offer...If it is, then why react with criticism? Wouldn't you expect NO to do the same thing? How is that desperate?

Originally posted by NBAHornets
    I agree Charlotte is desperate, but if Charlotte put him up to this and that's the reason they put him up to making an offer, it says more about Charlotte than I care to know. Why weren't they courting him earlier before the despiration set in and the NBA first got involved in trying to solve this mess and help Charlotte come up with an ownership group over a year ago.
    Last edited by say-what-x; 03-05-2002 at 03:49 PM.

I am thinking this offer was just to stir the pot. I think there will be a bigger one coming with more people involved. Remeber a group was mentioned, not an individual. Also, notice I used the word think and not know, its merely an opinion, and could very well be wrong.

Thread Information