Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: BET Founder makes offer for Hornets

Originally posted by Ellis Hugh

Um, because we are buying tickets for our new basketball team? Because people buy tickets to support a team? Now I see why they are leaving. Charlottans think you DON'T buy tickets if you have a team.
    Its wonderful to see intelligent posts such as yours. NO must be proud.

Originally posted by izzydean

Its wonderful to see intelligent posts such as yours. NO must be proud.
    Yes, we are PROUD of our NEW ORLEANS HORNETS

YOU GOTTA SAY IT OUT LOUD - "ELLIS HUGH! ELLIS HUGH! ELLIS HUGH! TIGERS!"

Why are you blaming Charlotte for this? Maybe the man decided to make an offer on his own. You NO posters are so good at trying to make everthing that may hurt your chances look bad.
    I've always blamed Charlotte for the predicament they find themselves in now. I don't blame them for trying to dig out of their hole and this most likely isn't even a part of the city's effort to put together a group to make an offer. Johnson saw an opportunity and went for it. It did not work. As for Charlotte's overall plan, it was doomed from the start.

Actually, you can offer all the money in the world and if the owner says no, tuff sh**. You people in CLT have said it enough, you hate Shinn and Shinn hates you, so why would he even want to sell to someone who would keep the team in CLT and make you happy?

It is already a debated issues on why there are not more African American Coaches in the league. Are you telling me the league has a chance of having an African American owner and they are not going to encourage it? The only question now is what are you trying to say: That the NBA is racist or New Orleans?

Its just a shame that there's only a couple of you in NO who feel that way.

Originally posted by originalbugs

It is already a debated issues on why there are not more African American Coaches in the league. Are you telling me the league has a chance of having an African American owner and they are not going to encourage it? The only question now is what are you trying to say: That the NBA is racist or New Orleans?
    Oh, way to play the race card. I never said that this man's ownership wouldn't be good for the league. This apparently is not the team for him. When he or any other African-American becomes a majority owner it will be great for the NBA. But the NBA cannot force this sale. They could not force Shinn to sell to Michael Jordan and they cannot force him to sell now - not to anyone period!

Its just a shame that there's only a couple of you in NO who feel that way.
    Well there are more of us proud of our New Orleans Hornets than there are of you proud of your Charlotte Hornets!

The Franchise
    [It's been stated by the NBA that for the committee to recommend a "No" vote that an arena plan had to be in place and there had to be a fair market value offer to Shinnridge.]

But Russ Granik said that he hasn't told ANYONE that they need an offer of $200 million.
    HANGIN' IN THE PELICANS ROOST!!

Originally posted by say-what

Well there are more of us proud of our New Orleans Hornets than there are of you proud of your Charlotte Hornets!
    If you only knew how funny that really is.

All of this fighting back and forth is missing the big question. Is Johnson the ownership group we keep hearing about? If so, are the Charlotte leaders still going to hold a press conference or did this take the wind out of their sales that Shinn has already said no?
    I'm looking for real sports fans...not sheep! Are you with me?!!!

Originally posted by Dr. Sting
    All of this fighting back and forth is missing the big question. Is Johnson the ownership group we keep hearing about? If so, are the Charlotte leaders still going to hold a press conference or did this take the wind out of their sales that Shinn has already said no?
    Oooo, Oooo, I can hear it now from Charlotte. This is all part of the Shinnridge conspiracy. He aksed Johnson to make an offer just so he could turn it down and emphasize the point to Charlotte that if he can turn down an offer from one of the most influential African-Americans in the country, then their group has no chance.

ROTFLMAO

Seriously, I don't think this has anything to do with Schwab's mystery group.

And I do think Robert Johnson could be a very good owner for any team - just not the Hornets prior to their move to New Orleans.
    Last edited by say-what-x; 03-05-2002 at 04:00 PM.

Oh, way to play the race card. I never said that this man's ownership wouldn't be good for the league. This apparently is not the team for him. When he or any other African-American becomes a majority owner it will be great for the NBA. But the NBA cannot force this sale. They could not force Shinn to sell to Michael Jordan and they cannot force him to sell now - not to anyone period!
    Actually its the perfect team for him. Why wait when the oppurtuninty presents itself right now? Lets just wait a few more 50 years. The NBA doesnt have to recieve the image of teams moving around and gets a African American owner in the process. Thats a win-win. We will see whos racist when the board and owners vote. You've already stated your position against it.

Originally posted by Dr. Sting
    I havent heard yet, but I would assume that Johnson made this offer on his own. And now, he will probaly work with CLT business leaders to sweeten the pot.

Actually its the perfect team for him. Why wait when the oppurtuninty presents itself right now? Lets just wait a few more 50 years. The NBA doesnt have to recieve the image of teams moving around and gets a African American owner in the process. Thats a win-win. We will see whos racist when the board and owners vote. You've already stated your position against it.
    I just don't see the NBA forcing any of it's owners to sell to anyone. Bad precedent, "racism" has nothing to do with it, business does. So I guess if I or anyone else is against this purchase, we are deemed racist by your reasoning. Talk about faulty logic. Just watch who you imply as being a racist, you know nothing about me or anyone else on this board. For all you know, any one of us could be African-American.

I don't remember anyone ever saying that with this offer the NBA was going to force the sale of the team. I believe they wanted a buyer available so they would have an option if they blocked the move and Shinn/Woolridge wouldn't stay in Charlotte. I don't think this was the big offer I think this was part of it though. Enough to make issues in the decision. I believe its 50/50!

HUGH....By meerily looking at the number of ticket sales...I would tend to disagree....I will say that of the NO posters on this site, you are correct...You guys love the Hornets...But what counts is the city of NO and from where I am watching....the desire and drive is not there..

You can have them. They will move back in a few years when your arena isnt state of the art anymore and your tax payers dont want to foot the bill for scummy owners.

To put into perspective what you are getting in Shinn, think about how he would not take in Michael Jordan as a majority partner. He could have sat back and just watched the money pour in, recieved his new arena, and been more popular then ever.

Geesh what are we twelve, geesh whats next!?

Honestly Say-What....I know you are probably kidding, but if not, it's comments like this that make CLT posters want to laugh and make fun of NO....Sure, take our team, I'll even help them pack, but when the sun goes down and the dust settles, you will have your team and we will have the last laugh....

Originally posted by SouthernTater

HUGH....By meerily looking at the number of ticket sales...I would tend to disagree....I will say that of the NO posters on this site, you are correct...You guys love the Hornets...But what counts is the city of NO and from where I am watching....the desire and drive is not there..
    Considering that the pace of the N.O. sales is better than it was for Charlotte when Charlotte was trying to get an expansion team, I think we are OK.

Geesh what are we twelve, geesh whats next!?
    {WARNING - STOP THE RACISM REMARKS}

What does it say about Charlotteans when as soon as an African American supposedly offers to buy a team, they spout off that it is racism if the NBA does not force a sale to him. Give me a break!

Considering that the pace of the N.O. sales is better than it was for Charlotte when Charlotte was trying to get an expansion team, I think we are OK.
    Charlotte sales picked up quite significantly, after learning they were guaranteed a team. According to everybody in here, it is inevitable that the Charlotte Hornets are coming to New Orleans, yet nobody buys tickets.

Original post edited by moderators for racism remarks.
    No and if you knew anything about me, you would know that I would never stand for that on these boards. That's the first thing that causes me to report a post to a moderator - here and in Charlotte (and yes they do moderate over at Charlotte I am pleased to say, just a little looser on the smack talk)
    Last edited by say-what-x; 03-05-2002 at 03:33 PM.

originalbugs, if all you are here to do is stir the racism pot, then you are not welcome. how does say-what saying "we are more proud of our hornets than charlotte is" have ANYTHING at all do with race?

for everyone else, i suggest we ignore him. if we do so, he'll go away.

Thread Information