Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: BET Founder makes offer for Hornets

Rookie

New Owners

As much as I would like to see the Hornets stay, I don't think Ray and George will sell, even if they refuse to sell just to spite us. Too many bridges have been burned and they would not let the citizens of Charlotte enjoy the team w/o them being the owners.

Originally posted by say-what

I agree Charlotte is desperate, but if Charlotte put him up to this and that's the reason they put him up to making an offer, it says more about Charlotte than I care to know. Why weren't they courting him earlier before the despiration set in and the NBA first got involved in trying to solve this mess and help Charlotte come up with an ownership group over a year ago.
    Ownership groups have been in place all the time. But Shinn never wanted to sell. More than once alternative owners were ready to buy the team. There will always be an ownership group ready to buy Shinn, we all know that.

Re: New Owners

Originally posted by Blair
    As much as I would like to see the Hornets stay, I don't think Ray and George will sell, even if they refuse to sell just to spite us. Too many bridges have been burned and they would not let the citizens of Charlotte enjoy the team w/o them being the owners.
    I agree Blair...that is the main point here that no matter what, even if the League turned down the move, Ray and George will NOT sell just to spite Charlotte...This is a game to them and they will win regardless.

The Franchise

ffffaber,

that's cool if all you're looking for is a respectable person to be your owner, but the things that are being said about George Shinn is not respectable at all. Respect isn't necessarily given, it's earned. Also, I apologize if I offended anyone on this board.
    HANGIN' IN THE PELICANS ROOST!!

Renfo,

When you say no respect has been given to George Shinn you are way off base. We gave him all the respect in the world and he gave us none. I think everyone of us on this board wants good owners in the Panthers and the Saints, we do want some loyalty. With Shinnridge you get absolutely none. My family had season tickets to the Hornets for 11 years, and finally last year when we knew they would not be loyal to us we gave up. I seriously suggest to all the people on this board you do some studying on George Shinn and where his loyalties lie. Charlotte would have continued to support them also, all they had to give up was 13 million to get a new arena, and they said no!!! After that point some of their sponsors gave up as did the fans.

I agree Charlotte is desperate, but if Charlotte put him up to this and that's the reason they put him up to making an offer, it says more about Charlotte than I care to know. Why weren't they courting him earlier before the despiration set in and the NBA first got involved in trying to solve this mess and help Charlotte come up with an ownership group over a year ago.
    I apologize if I offended anybody also. That is not how Charlotte is at all. The owner of BET made a bid a long time ago to get part of the hornets that woolridge ending up getting. So he has been in the mix of things for a long time.

Originally posted by originalbugs
    I apologize if I offended anybody also.
    Apology accepted. I respect your opinion and the fact that you don't want to loose the Hornets. I certainly disagree, New Orleans has been without the NBA far too long. Unfortunately, the only chance we have had is to court teams looking to relocate - it makes us look like the bad guys back in the other market, but we want back what we lost some 24 years ago.

The Franchise
    ffffaber,

I don't know you personally, so I'm not saying you didn't or don't give Shinn respect. What I'm saying is that some of the things that are posted are not respectable. It's one thing when you talk about what a person did, but it's how you do that. Some of the things posted about Shinn are not done with any tact whatsoever, and THAT is not a reflection of Shinn. That's all I'm trying to say.

Originally posted by MWJ
    The Hornets are not coming to your po dunk **** hole town called New Orleans! I guess you want them because of the Richard Simmons look a like and the the sex offender! the bugs are staying in Charlotte!:o
    Gee, and people from Charlotte wonder why we have this attitude towards them. I know we have many CLT people here that are not like this, who are civil rational, and are welcome here. But I can honestly say that I haven't seen any language like this from NOLA towards CLT. On the contrary, we feel your pain and frustration because we have lost a team before. We do not humiliate ourselves or our city with childish posts like this.

Edited to add: Wow, that was fast. The post was deleted faster than I could actually reply to it. WTG Mods!

YOU GOTTA SAY IT OUT LOUD - "ELLIS HUGH! ELLIS HUGH! ELLIS HUGH! TIGERS!"

Renfo,

Why should we give him respect? He demands new arena's and gets his puppet Woolridge to try to get negotiating done, offering us nothing. These owners are probably the most hated owners in all of current sports, but you guys are always right and Charlotte should just belly up to the bar with them. Well Charlotte is taking a stand, if they lose the team they lose the team, but if we dont look at what our city has done.
    Last edited by ffffaber; 03-05-2002 at 04:20 PM.

The Franchise
    ffffaber,

You're not hearing me. You have the right to do what you choose, but it's the WAY it's done is my point. NO ONE has the RIGHT to slander a man's name no mattter WHAT he's done.

Banned
    Originally posted by Hornetsfan:
    If this was the "mystery buyer" it looks like it is over for Charlotte.
    I don't think this is the mystery buyer. No. 1) I think some of the "Mystery buyiers" are local. 2) He said he talked to Shinn last week. That's when we heard of the "Mystery owners" and that they would make an announcement this week. I assume they will make their offer this week not tell us that they were shot down this week.

And from the other posts, everything is for sale. It's all about the benjamins. Why do you think Shinn wants to move, because NO threw the money at him thats why.

Oh I am hearing you loud and clear, and that mans name has the right to be slandered. He tries to pick up woman at recovery centers, and forces himself on them. He gives honest Charlotte Hornets fans a bad name.

The Franchise
    ffffaber,

Thanks, but no thanks.

Rookie

Funny Stuff

I do not want us to lose the Hornets, but damn, this board has been fun! I hope that this saga continues so I can continue to read posts from HarveyHornet, Capt. Tom Hanks, etc. There's nothing wrong with a little fun "city bashing". Best of luck w/the bugs!

Originally posted by RENFO
    ffffaber,

I don't know you personally, so I'm not saying you didn't or don't give Shinn respect. What I'm saying is that some of the things that are posted are not respectable. It's one thing when you talk about what a person did, but it's how you do that. Some of the things posted about Shinn are not done with any tact whatsoever, and THAT is not a reflection of Shinn. That's all I'm trying to say.
    I don't know you either, but I do know Shin and although I agree that some of the statements on here were harsh...I do think that they truthfully reflect shinn's disrespect fo rour city. The same way I do not claim to know about NO, you cannot claim to know shin unless you hve lived in the same town as he has for 10 years. He has done nothing but disrespect our town for the past 5 years with his lies and scandals. If you want to know the real truth call his wife...oh I forgot...she left him several years ago and took his fanny to the bank....Please...Being happy that your town is getting a team is one thing, but this is CRAZY

Banned
    Let's see.....

NBA wants a New Arena deal in Charlotte....

IN PLACE

NBA wants a profitable lease agreement for the team....

IN PLACE

NBA wants a new Ownership Group for Charlotte...

IN PLACE

(BONUS: New owner increases the Minority Ownership Plan that the NBA is striving for. BONUS #2 Connections of new owner to minority TV base and other contacts add to Charlotte's favor.)

Other Rumors/facts:
    10 NBA Owners openly have problems with Shinnridge and plan to vote against a move.

9 NBA Owners favor a move.

FACT: NBA CANNOT force Shinnridge to sell but they can do something even worse....they can force them to STAY!!!!

All I can say is that the tables are turning....

NO, bring on your arguments and although I can respect them I feel the odds are changing drastically....

Re: Funny Stuff

Originally posted by Blair
    There's nothing wrong with a little fun "city bashing".
    Fun is one thing. Personal and degrading is another. I am all for the fun part.

PS. Making Shinn and Ray stay would be the same as forcing a sale which could easily be proved. Can you say lawsuit? Try relocation instead. That is why the NBA has no choice regardless of how they feel towards Shinn and Woody.

Pete - not sure why you would mix rumors and facts, but where did you get that 10 owners were against and 9 for? Seems odd considering the relocation committee has made no recommendations yet.

Hall of Famer
    Originally posted by HORNETSFAN
    Pete - not sure why you would mix rumors and facts, but where did you get that 10 owners were against and 9 for? Seems odd considering the relocation committee has made no recommendations yet.
    I agree- The only owner that I know of that has openly stated how he feels is Mark Cuban.

I just got off work, so I'm a little late on the news.

Does it surprise anyone that "Shinnridge" turned the offer down?

I fully expected the offer to be turned down- That's not the point, The NBA wanted to see an alternative ownership group in place to give "Shinnridge" the option of not going bankrupt if the move is denied.

The NBA gave Charlotte a list of criteria and everything they wanted, we came up with. That gives the NBA enough reason to block the move- All the market comparison's are clearly in our favor and now we have atleast 1 ownership group committed to keeping the team in Charlotte. I envision another ownership group also making an offer(also turned down)and in the end the NBA will have more than enough grounds to block the move.

This just got alot more interesting- atleast we don't have to hear anymore BS about the imaginary ownership group.
    With the third pick in the 2006 NBA Draft the Charlotte Bobcats select Rudy Gay..........

Originally posted by Charlotte-Jason

atleast we don't have to hear anymore BS about the imaginary ownership group.
    If he made the bid on his own as he says, one man does not make a group, even if he is worth more than a billion bucks - true?

Don't have anything to confirm or deny any of this other than to take Johnson's statement at face value for now, but ask BUCKO, he seems to have reason to believe that this is not a part of the "Schwab group."

Hall of Famer
    Yeah I read Bucko's comments- If Johnson is indeed not involved in the group that even makes Charlotte's case stronger(if the other group comes forward too) That would mean that we have 2 seperate possible owners that think Charlotte is a viable NBA market. I hope in the end the join forces and really put some jack on the table.

I guess we will find out tommorrow if Johnson was involved in Schwabb's group(I believe he is)

I believe he ultimately will be involved in that group, but there is something fishy going on there that makes me wonder about their viability. Can't quite put my finger on it yet, but it's there.

Oh yeah, CharlotteDude posted this link from the Charlotte Business Journal that says Johnson will work with the Schwab people. Nothing more specific. http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/cha...ml?t=printable

Thread Information