Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: David West

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Watching just the few clips they showed of West. He reminds me of Thomas from the Knicks. He will need to bulk up, but Thomas was a good shooter and rebounder in college, and it looks like West has those skills.

Brand rumor was just talk, hoping Sterling doesn't break the bank for him and that we might be able to land him. Also, a few people think that with Floyd and possibly Gentry, we might be able to him (since he played under both guys).

West looks like a decent pick, but i'm really afraid that this means PJ is gone...!!!

i hope the HORNETS can steal one solid second round PG!!!

man, everyone thought Lampe will be drafted early in round one, he was still availabe at the end of round 1, he's now a Knickerbocker!!!

GO HORNETS!!!

Basketball Guru Contributor
    Well, Bass said "Before you ask about PJ Brown with this pick...", as an opening statement, "...we picked West because we thought he was the best player available and PJ is definitely a part of the future plans for this team..."

What would the trade even look like...offer wise? I can't think of anything considering that Brand is so good & the Hornets would have to trade one of their better players.

Haha! So I finish high school, & my first paying job right out the gate is....to go back to high school! Who would've thunked it?!

Ester aka Ms-Freek-A-Leek STHornet's Avatar
    I wouldn't be surprised if Brand is traded. Last year they drafted Melvin Ely and Chris Wilcox.
    Trade Mags & Rodgers for Lamar Odom

However, my feelings are that the Hornets will make an offer, but it may not be what PJ is looking for in terms of $$$. But, I might add, this is only my gut wondering. Like I said, we'll see...

Should we pick Chris Marcus at #48?

From what you are saying, it sounds like they have plans for keeping PJ. Which I am all for, we need his leadership.

It will be interesting to see who we take with the 2nd round pick. I'd like a wingman or PG, but who knows who will be available.

I'd like to see a PG with the next pick.

Another Miss guy picked. Miss really produces some basketball talent.

If the Saints could do it Contributor Joe Horn(ets)'s Avatar
    I like the David West pick, great move by Floyd & Co. hopefully more are to come.

Everybody knows who our second pick will be. It will be Ronald Dupree, I hope not, but I see us drafting Ronald Dupree.

NOHORNETS504 . . . I think you are right.

But let's wait and see, it could be anyone at this point.

Draft Pick
    Fellows I am a new Hornet fan and big Xavier fan. I think if you give West a chance he will make you happy. He was an unherald, unranked Kid out of High School and would up as POY in 2 polls. He loves to win and will do everything to win. They say his shot outside needs work but he played inside most of the time but in big games he hit the shots to win games both outside and inside.

Xavier was beaten in the NCAA's by Maryland but West single handedly carried the team and after a terrble start by the rest of the team West had them in a position to win.

He is like the Brian Grants of the NBA, a good person. He will be a model citizen in NO. and a credit to your organization. The Hornets have increased their following in Cincinnati because of West. Xavier has had a number of Hornets over the years with Michael Hawkins a few years ago and your trainer Terry Kofler is an X man. Good luck this year we will be rooting for you.
    Last edited by Snipe; 06-26-2003 at 09:37 PM.
    I think I am the greatest. Yes, I am the greatest.

Welcome to the board, Snipe! We are excited about West. Thanks for the info. Anything you have to offer about this guy in specifics is greatly appreciated!

Talk about homerism.

Hope it doesn't haven't, but I think it will.

On another note. Those Knicks fans are crazy. They're booing the team's last pick and this guy is like 7'5'. He could kick all of their butts.

Grand it is like that every year. Last year was the worst when they booed for the first pick. Usually they just chant fire layden.

Originally posted by NYKF Hornet
    Usually they just chant fire layden.
    Can you blame them sometimes? He's made some questionable moves in the last couple years IMO. McDyess was just bad luck IMO.

Chris Marcus would be a wasted pick, I think we need to go with a big wing gaurd...someone to spell Wesley, Alexander just doestn seem to be the guy, maybe we get lucky in the 2nd round?
    I'm not a player I just, well you know the rest....

I love David West. I thought at first taking him at 18 may have been a bit if a stretch, but the more it sinks in the happier I am about the choice. Being a fan of the so called "smaller schools" I caught XU on TV everytime I could. West was a GREAT college player than I think will make a solid pro, even though his size is less than ideal for a power forward. Good choice!!

By the way...this is for anyone that was at the draft party tonight...did you catch Bob Bass' slipup when discussing the West pick in the press conference? In describing him, Bass mentioned West's impressive wingspan at 4-5 INCHES! We couldn't stop laughing about that the rest of the night.

Draft Pick
    I admit I am a homer for X, just like you are for the Hornets.

Here is the Xavier basketball home page look at the stats yourself. BTW West was triple teamed most games. Only Dayton played him man up so he put up 47 points that game. He is not selfish and is a good passer. He also can rebound with the biggest guys.

here is the link
    http://athletics.xu.edu/

BTW on the wingspan the NBA says 7' plus, and in shoes 6'9+"
    Last edited by Snipe; 06-26-2003 at 09:46 PM.

Is Maurice Williams a good option?

Yeah, UNOPrivatr, we were there and noticed the slip, as well!!!

Layden certainly has it coming, and I don't blame those fans one bit. Dolan and company have made some really dumb moves the last few years. Houston's contract, McDyess, the bad trades, the injured players . . . NY is a mess right now.

We complain here a lot about this team, but my friends in NY feel we have a better chance to win a title than them, and they are right. The only thing they questioned was the Floyd hire, but they feel our roster is really strong.
    Last edited by NYKF Hornet; 06-26-2003 at 09:50 PM.

Thread Information