Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: David West

Originally posted by NYKF Hornet
    I would like to see West off the bench, that will be the best way he can help us. MO is not a starting PF, but if we are really changing our style of play to a more uptempo game . . . we don't need big bodies, just runners and shooters. Maybe they plan on making the PF position a cutter position, and hope Mags can handle the rebounds.
    I agree about JMo, but if PJ is gone and we don't pick up a PF in FA, then who starts? Having size is the reason why I wanted Cook over West. JMag can't handle rebounding on his own.

LOL.

I would have liked to sit in on that meeting.

And Bass is down. And Bass is out.

West can rebound
    I'm not a player I just, well you know the rest....

West is a better rebounder than Cook.

Originally posted by Bad_Intentions
    West can rebound
    True. I guess I'm just focusing on the size factor. Once we move West, it'll definitely become a factor.

Rodman was the best rebounder and he was undersized. West has the instincts to rebound no matter how tall he is.

Hall of Famer
    Hmmm and he can shoot also...
    I just saw on the ESPN ticker that he shot over 50% in each of his 4 seasons with Xavier!!!

Originally posted by BayouHornet
    Rodman was the best rebounder and he was undersized. West has the instincts to rebound no matter how tall he is.
    Rodman was a freak of nature in more ways than one.

Seriously though, the league is different than in Rodman's prime.

he is rangy, has very long arms also

Originally posted by Grandadmiral

Rodman was a freak of nature in more ways than one.

Seriously though, the league is different than in Rodman's prime.
    I know one thing you and I can agree on. We need someone better than Alexander.

Originally posted by BayouHornet

I know one thing you and I can agree on. We need someone better than Alexander.
    AMEN BROTHA!!!

Don't get me wrong guys. I'm satisfied with the West pick. I'm just looking more into the future as we go to the West. We will need size.

They picked him just because we're moving to the West! They thought that, because of his name, he'd be a good fit.
    ty-cch

Hall of Famer
    Maybe West could play best in the West?
    heh, j/k.

Banned
    Originally posted by Displaced Yat
    They picked him just because we're moving to the West! They thought that, because of his name, he'd be a good fit.
    And the conspiracy theories continue.... look for the Hornets to go with HS All-American Grassy Knoll from Texas's Book Depository Academy.

what do you think we'll do in the 2nd? wing g or another big man?

MVF (Most Valuable Fan)
    Are their any guys that came out of the 2nd round that made an impact within 2 years?

Banned
    I'd just as soon have another big man myself, Bad, but whether we take such at 48 will of course depend on what's available.

Whatever the case, Instant Offense better turn his stroke up a notch before he finds his minutes shaved by Floyd the Barber.

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    wing man, heck the 2nd pick might not make the dress out roster.

Size is important to me. Rodman was thick, and couldn't be moved out of position . . . he also threw himself all over the palce. AS crazy looking as he was, the man was a tough rebounding machine. I'm happy with West, as long as we are not thinking about starting him. With our glut at PF, I see either PJ leaving or some sort of trade. Traylor can back up Mags. But a front line of Mags, Mo, West, and Traylor . . . we need a consistent guy.

This is where they go and pick Dupree.

j/k

we need a consistent guy.
    I totally agree.

Basketball Guru Contributor
    any word from that draft party?

Responses? Cheers? Anything?
    I just walked in from the draft party. There were cheers. The overall feeling in the arena was that it was a good pick. We found out about 30 seconds before it was announced by Stern. I didn't get a draft packet as I came in after the first 3,000 but did manage autographs from Tractor Traylor and Lynch. It was a good time.
    Anyway, I'm very pleased with the pick. One question mark raised in my head is whether or not PJ Brown will accept the Hornets offer for his return. If he doesn't accept there offer, then they have West to fall back on, although Bass swears that the Hornets will definitely pursue PJ for next season and that he is very important to the Hornets. Floyd repeated the same at the press conference following the announcement of West. We'll see about this....

Rookie
    All I have to say is David West is from GARNER, NORTH CAROLINA!

(But we aren't a basketball crazy state that produces NBA players year after year not to mention Assistant Coaches i.e. Gattison and or Gentry)

That being said, I am extremely pleased with this pick (considering the position they were picking from) I think he is going to surprise a lot of people with his athleticism. Although he is a little undersized (more weight room work required) he is very tenacious on the boards and this is what I like about him the most!

Lastly you don't just get the National Player of the Year award if you don't have some game!
    Last edited by Villain; 06-26-2003 at 09:18 PM.

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Thanks alon504. Vitale threw us off with his PJ to Cavs rumor.

Glad to hear the draft party was happy with the pick and excited about our chances. Hearing Bass and Floyd say they want keep PJ, makes me more comfortable with the pick. I like West off the bench, combined with MO we are set at PF. Traylor can play PF or C, and will be more useful as we move west.

Vitale says he thinks PJ is going to the Cavs, and that West was drafted as a replacement for PJ. We might have some trade options, but I think the Brand trade will not happen.
    I've been away from the computer the past 3 weeks, but what's this Brand rumor?

Haha! So I finish high school, & my first paying job right out the gate is....to go back to high school! Who would've thunked it?!

Thread Information