Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: David West

Ester aka Ms-Freek-A-Leek STHornet's Avatar
    http://www.nba.com/heat/news/draft20...jameslang.html

Draft 2003: Q and A with James Lang

It’s tough coming right out of high school, what made you decide to go right into it?

Lang: “I think I can play in this league…I worked hard for it, and I feel like I’m ready.

What do you think you have to overcome, coming right from high school?

Lang: “The only thing I can do is just keep my head right and just stay focused on everything I do…If I do that, I’ll be allright.”

What are your strengths?

Lang: “Shooting free throws, that’s my strongest…I practice them a lot, everyday.”

How’d you lose all that weight?

Lang: “Running, drinking a lot of water…Really just drinking a lot of water and staying away from all the greasy foods and fast-food restaurants.”
    Trade Mags & Rodgers for Lamar Odom

http://espn.go.com/ncb/mcdonaldsaa03/bio/Lang.html

James Lang

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Height: 6-10
    Weight: 305
    Position: Center
    High School: Central Park Christian School (Birmingham, AL)
    College: Undecided

James Lang is a force to be wreckoned with at 6'11 and 305 pounds. Don't let his size fool you though, as he is known for his explosiveness around the basket. Lang plays with a tenacity that coaches beg for in a big man, as he averaged 17 points and 10 rebounds per game during his junior season. James committed himself over the summer and dropped 70 pounds to become more elusive on the court. He has no problem running the floor and his stamina keeps on improving. Lang has been the MVP at numerous tournaments and is the Rivals.com No. 1 prospect in the Southeast. Lang is an exceptional rebounder especially on the offensive side of the ball.

MVF (Most Valuable Fan)
    ok i see. 6'11 with the afro. 6'10 with the normal cut. 6'9 with a fade.

http://global.nba.com/draft2003/profiles/LangJames.html

An early entry candidate for the 2003 NBA Draft. Lost more than 70 pounds to get down to around 300 pounds prior to his senior season. Led Central Park Christian School to a National Association of Christian Schools title as a senior. Spent two academic years at Central Park Christian School after attending Shaw High School in Mobile for three academic years.
    High School Career Highlights: Named to USA Today High School Boys Basketball All-USA Second Team. Named a 2003 McDonald’s High School All-America player and played in the McDonald’s High School All-American Game and the EA Sports Roundball Classic.

2003 Postseason All-Star Games: In the McDonald’s High School All-American Game, scored 15 points and grabbed 10 rebounds in 17 minutes of play to help the East record a 122-107 victory. Made seven of his eight field goal attempts. In the EA Sports Roundball Classic, tallied 12 rebounds, seven points and three blocked shots in 24 minutes of action as his West team scored a 120-119 victory.

Senior (2002-03): Averaged 21 points, 14 rebounds, four blocks and three assists per game.

Strengths: He is physically imposing and works hard to gain position close to the basket. Gets good position for rebounds and goes after every rebound.

Now that the hornets have the two picks do you think both of these players( if they arent traded) fit Floyd's wide open apporoach to offense and defense.

Originally posted by Cory1079
    ok i see. 6'11 with the afro. 6'10 with the normal cut. 6'9 with a fade.

Originally posted by N.O.HORNETS2003
    Now that the hornets have the two picks do you think both of these players( if they arent traded) fit Floyd's wide open apporoach to offense and defense.
    Depends on how they use West. If he comes off the bench next season, I think he will be a great bench scorer and will get the needed training to take the starting spot IMO.

All-Star
    West can run and slash in our new "NJ Nets-like" offense. Lang is a project at center who has a good chance to make the team and develop down the road.

I'm not a player I just, well you know the rest....

Basketball Guru Contributor
    Originally posted by Bad_Intentions
    Langs Miami Heat workout footage
    rtsp://a389.r.akareal.net/ondemand/7...mes_Lang_hi.rm
    Like I said, Tractor II!

Banned
    So long as Lang is never introduced to Gravy... er, GRADY Jackson, there's no need to worry 'bout much weight gain.

Originally posted by NOHORNETS504
    Mobile (AL)
    Central Park Christian
    Center

Height: 6-foot-11
    Weight: 300 pounds
    I'm so out of the loop this draft.

But hey, a Mobile guy

Haha! So I finish high school, & my first paying job right out the gate is....to go back to high school! Who would've thunked it?!

David West is a solid pick. The only other player I would have wanted the Hornets to pick was Collison, and he was long gone by the time the 18th pick came around. Cook is bigger, but I question his desire to be a good basketball player. He's about two inches shorter than Cook, but he outrebounded Cook last season by over FOUR boards a game. Being a senior, I think he'll be able to contribute immediately off the bench, and may be able to crack the starting rotation by the end of the year.

MVF (Most Valuable Fan)
    Originally posted by alon504

Like I said, Tractor II!

This just in..............The hornets have inquired about purchasing a bigger team jet. They dont feel the current one can get off the ground with both Tractor and their new rookie Lang on board.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Maybe he's 6'11" in heels...
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

the confident Contributor JOE in NO's Avatar
    + Now, who is the REAL DW on the Hornets. My vote goes to the original, David Wesley; therefore, we'll need another nickname for David West. How about something plain like "W"? On the same note, the Hornets played some "wild wild west" soundbite for Wesley...

+ Bass' saying that they will make an effort to get PJ is all fine and dandy, but its mute if they don't offer a contract. PJ is more important then ever, especially to tutor our young PF's.

+ Was West on the phone on the radio shortly after the pick. Anyone catch the call?

Gerry V said Lang is actually 6 foot 8 and 1/4 inches. He said that his height is highly exagerated in the reports.

Gerry was talking about the length of the two players. He said it's not always how tall you are, but how tall you play. V said that West and Lang are long and rangy and cover a lot of space. Because of their long build, being a bit shy on pure height is not a huge issue.

Height is incredibly overrated in the media. Height of vertical leap, wingspan, and anticipation aren’t discussed nearly as much as height is and they make as much of a difference. Think about it, a more skilled basketball player who sees what is going on can react faster and get in better position to make a block, rebound, etc that sometimes allow him to make plays taller players cannot.

Originally posted by Harvey Hornet
    Gerry V said Lang is actually 6 foot 8 and 1/4 inches. He said that his height is highly exagerated in the reports.

Gerry was talking about the length of the two players. He said it's not always how tall you are, but how tall you play. V said that West and Lang are long and rangy and cover a lot of space. Because of their long build, being a bit shy on pure height is not a huge issue.
    From what I can see, Lang is wide, not long West is not being asked to play center full time, so it doesn't appear to be much of any issue with him. I really don't see how Lang fits in because not only is he short, but he is also slow and doesn't have much touch (according to the reports).

V's comments about "being long and rangy" were more directed at West than Lang come to think of it. He said Lang's major concern would be conditioning. I really don't know much about either guy and haven't had time to read much lately. From what I'm hearing, the West pick is solid and the Lang pick is a long term gamble. Getting anything decent in the 2nd round is usually pretty tough. Of course there are exceptions, but for the most part, 2nd rounders are non entities. I'm all for taking a gamble with the pick and picking a kid who we can work with and try to develop. If he's the 15th guy on the roster and never dresses for 2 years, so what!!!

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Lang was a good pick because there is no risk in drafting a HS in the 2nd round. He is 18, and will have time to develop. Moving to the West it will be nice to have extra bodies to throw in there against the large teams. We still have some concerns to address, and hopefully we will be active during free agency.

You would think our team would play in summer league this year. We have a new coach installing a new system, while trying to develop young players. It doesn't make sense unless Floyd is planning on hosting some kind of summer workout.

Thread Information