Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: PJ BROWN RE-SIGNS WITH THE HORNETS???

Originally posted by Trueblood

Not if they want to keep JMO. They could let JMo walk and then split the MLE between Pike and a backup PG. Pike is worth a lot though so I would give him something in the 3 to 3.5 range and use the remaining 1.3 to 1.8 on a backup PG.
    What if we use DW as BD's backup and not pursue a backup PG. Is it remotely possible. I think Pike can start with us and DW can backup him and BD.

Originally posted by Grandadmiral

What if we use DW as BD's backup and not pursue a backup PG. Is it remotely possible. I think Pike can start with us and DW can backup him and BD.
    That would be good. I remember you saying that DW wasn't much of a ballhandler in the games that you saw so I figured that the Hornets needed more of a true PG. If you think DW can get by with minimal ball handling skills, Pike would be a good option. The question now is whether or not Shinn wants to spend the whole 4.8 on him.

I agree with almost everyone on this post. I am glad we resigned PJ but IMO we overpaid him.

Going away.... Contributor West Coast Hornet's Avatar
    I am glad that PJ was re-signed. While money does talk, I think he is committed to the community, which is not something you see everyday anymore. Good for PJ and good for New Orleans.

While PJ had his bad moments in the playoffs, he did a yeoman's job most of the year cleaning up the glass. The man is focused and works hard...all admirable traits in my book. I am glad that he is back.

Time for some football!!!

For breaking the news first, Joe...

+3

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    We had to do this, there shouldn't be any complaints at all. Hell, we kept a starter that will be needed next season, I don't see where the problem is.

Other teams were going to pay PJ that kind of money . . . are the Spurs, Mavs, HEat, and Magic terrible teams with owners who don't care. This is crazy, keeping PJ is a very good thing.

I'm going to be honest here, I didn't think Floyd could get us to the playoffs with West/Mo/Traylor starting at PF, he needs PJ. Am I wrong?

If the Saints could do it Contributor Joe Horn(ets)'s Avatar
    For breaking the news first, Joe...

+3

You the man GA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

say-what would have never done this for me, FIRE HIM!!!!

Originally posted by Joe Horn(ets)
    That's not a bad idea. He is a coullion.

Originally posted by cool_hand_luke
    I am glad we resigned PJ but IMO we overpaid him.
    NEWSFLASH

This just in. Cheap owners of the New Orleans Hornets are spending too much money!!! Details at 10!!!

Damned if you do and damned if you don't...

Originally posted by Harvey Hornet
    Damned if you do and damned if you don't...
    Always seems to be case around here. When will it end?

Originally posted by Joe Horn(ets)

You the man GA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, I would too - I've been working on the ask and you shall receive principal lately, but I was going to go back because I think there are a couple of people I might owe some points to for bringing stories to the board - Adam comes to mind, but I'm going to do this Sunday evening.

And in case anyone is wondering, it never hurts to offer for points. All funds are tax deductible and go to the say-what season ticket/retirement fund.

I feel bad for DW. Someone's always trying to give away his starting spot, but the dude just keeps coming back every year and showing everybody.

As for Moiso, I have to think the team is going to do everything it can to keep him from walking. Remember, back when they were trying to unload Elden Campbell, several teams -- I think including Seattle -- kept asking for Moiso and Bass said no way, he can't be part of any deal. Bass did this knowing Moiso would be a free agent at the end of the year. If he planned to let him walk, he could have included him in a deal with Campbell.

Look for the team to resign J-Mo and then one more scrub before we're done.

Originally posted by St. Rock

I feel bad for DW. Someone's always trying to give away his starting spot, but the dude just keeps coming back every year and showing everybody.

As for Moiso, I have to think the team is going to do everything it can to keep him from walking. Remember, back when they were trying to unload Elden Campbell, several teams -- I think including Seattle -- kept asking for Moiso and Bass said no way, he can't be part of any deal. Bass did this knowing Moiso would be a free agent at the end of the year. If he planned to let him walk, he could have included him in a deal with Campbell.

Look for the team to resign J-Mo and then one more scrub before we're done.
    Rack him!!! Great stuff Rock.

DW will bounce back strong. People seem to forget exactly how the Hornets got to the playoffs. DW stepped up about mid season and basically took the team on his back. Silas was complaining about injury, Baron was out and the team seemed to be falling apart. DW called a team meeting, regrouped the players and for about a week or so, carried this team and got them back on track.

J-Mo will re-sign. Your analysis of Bass and wanting to keep him is 110% correct.

"And what's up with you and Mythron generalizing the posters here? In case you didn't notice, the majority here is HAPPY with the management's move. And in case you didnt notice, people are allowed to have OPINIONS. This means that not everyone will always agree with you. I know it's hard to believe, but deal with it."

And who generalized? I said "The Complainers", If I read correctly, you didn't even reply to the original thread, only my comment. You do not need to protect the integrity of other posters' freedom to have an opinion, daybreaker. I am not complaining about those others' opinions, just their inability to ever be satisfied.

I can never quite get it perfect for my wife either (a woman), therefore the reference, at daybreak, ... for me....11:30 am.
    We had quite a few interesting conversations as we pondered and navigated the nightly canopy.

the confident Contributor JOE in NO's Avatar
    I'm happy we re-signed PJ, and I agree it may be a little too much. 8-8.5 million each of the next two years doesn't bother me, but its the money on the backend that worries me. Does PJ have four years left, or like Trueblood said, could he become a "cap albatross." But that's just something we may look back at in the future. The Hornets are trying to win now, and PJ is an important part of this team now, so I'm happy they overpaid to keep him, even if it comes back to bite the team in the butt in 2-3 years.

I would like to congratulate the Hornets ownership on resigning of PJ Brown. Resigning him shows that they are committed to bringing a championship to this city. As for the amount they are paying him i think alot of you are losing the fact that there were others teams bidding for PJ's services and without making it worth while PJ would have definetly signed with the Spurs if the Hornets front office hadn't stepped up. Again good job Shinn and Woolridge on resigning not only a good player on the court, but a better person off the court.

NEW ORLEANS HORNETS FAN FOR LIFE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hornets fan since 1991 NBALive@TheHive's Avatar
    My feelings are pretty much the same, I'm glad PJ is back, but is overpaid.

I thought between 30 and 35 mill woulda been ok, but 40 mill?

I don't have beef with management, what I'm more worried about is whether the Hornets can bring in players to help the team out now that PJ has a fat, juicy contract.
    "Yeah Moe that team sure did suck last night. They just plain sucked! I've seen teams suck before, but they were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked!"

-Homer Simpson

Banned
    Originally posted by NBALive@TheHive
    My feelings are pretty much the same, I'm glad PJ is back, but is overpaid.

I thought between 30 and 35 mill woulda been ok, but 40 mill?

I don't have beef with management, what I'm more worried about is whether the Hornets can bring in players to help the team out now that PJ has a fat, juicy contract.
    PJ's agent, Mark Bartlestein, says the total payout over the life of the contract is $34 million, well within your parameters listed above.

Well done, Mr. Shinn!

--------------------------------

Memorandum for Ol' Three Cents from ESPN:

Pardon the interruption, MISTER ALDRIDGE, but how the bloody hell could Hornets brass afford to both max out BD AND pony up $8 mil-plus for PJ if - as you and numerous other talking heads seem to say - NO ONE attended the games because of all those hurricanes you said were gonna wipe out the Crescent City ?!?!?

Aldridge = You, sir, are a FREAK. (BRING BACK KORNHEISER!! BRING BACK KORNHEISER!)

If the Saints could do it Contributor Joe Horn(ets)'s Avatar
    Know what's funny guys, I remember during the NBA Draft, PTI, ATH, ESPN.com, and alot of others were talking like it was a gurantee that PJ was leaving, and wham, he resigns. Shows you shouldn't put much stock in them.

Sorta like one day the media is saying Kidd's leaving and the Nets are in turmoil and the exact next day the Nets agree with Kidd and Zo. Turmoil, eh?

Formerly "Rocket Man" groundpatty's Avatar
    I wouldn't mind getting payed 10 mil a year!

But, look, knowing peej, he'll give a lot to charity.

as for as paying pj 40 mill.

well i will put it this way, i think its a safe bet pj will be a great investment on hes work ethic and his standards.

sure we could all hope for a jermaine oneal, or a younger player, but that situation was not there. we did the right thing for a person who will work hard for the organization and who is actualy proud to be a new olreans hornet..

he will also be great at teaching west alot.

i love the fact that i know my kid will not read about pj brown in the paper except about working hard and doing his job to the best of his abilty.

i congratulate mgmt on a job well done on signing, a mature, experience, hard working, respected player!!!!!!!!

I don't think management overpaid at all. In fact, I think they got a deal. 34 million over four years? That's cheap for a good PF. If I'm not mistaken, they were paying Derrick Coleman more than that a few years back. I bet other teams had a better offer. My feeling all along was that PJ wanted to stay in Louisiana.

I think the remaining cap needs to be used for Moiso. DW can back up PG and play some 2. Mash can move over and play some 2.

However, let's not get carried away with this championship talk. We really haven't improved over last year, just maintained the status quo.

....I still think SHinnridge are tightwads, so there....:^p

Thread Information