Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PJ BROWN RE-SIGNS WITH THE HORNETS???

Originally posted by VTHornet
    You are right they are not cheap, That was a Charlotte condition. The fumes from the refineries have made them stupid....but not cheap.
    Those refinery fumes will do that to you - they also cause you to hallucinate about the Saints and Hornets winning it all each year.

So .. this is official now? They give him 40 Million over the next 4 Years? Jeez ... little much isnt it? I am glad he is back, cause i think there would be no acceptable replacement, but 40 Million sounds way too much for me. Anyway, do we now have enough money to resign Moiso and a backup PG?

The Spurs were offering him approximately $8 million per year. Had we let him go, the howls would have been deafening. We'd have heard "we told you so" for months.

If the defending NBA champs were willing to fork over $8 million per year for our starting PF, what is wrong with giving him $10 million per year to stay?

I'm glad we re-signed him.
    A football game can't stop hurricanes.

It can't fix levees.

Or rebuild houses.

But it can let a city know...

That it's a city once again.

Welcome back, New Orleans.

The contract starts at about 8M and has annual increases so that the total is 40M for 4 years.

It sounds like he's getting regular increases based on his salary from last year, so it's almost like a natural extension of the last contract.

I should be used to it...

I have been reading nothing but how upset people would be if the hornets lost PJ. Now that he's signed people are upset that he's making money.

Now....let's go over this. If you don't like the owners, no matter what they do you will complain. If you're just a complainer, no matter what happens you'll complain.

If you follow sports/basketball at all....you know you need guys like PJ to fight in the trenches. He was receiving plenty of attention from others so the Hornets had to pay well for his services. All the other options we had (Brand, etc..) are not definites (teams can match offers). I believe that the ownership did what they had to do to ensure we had a good PF for not only this year, but to be under contract when we make the transition to the West.

Is 10 million a lot to pay for someone a year? Yes.
    So if you want to bash the owners for paying a lot for players (PJ), or not paying players enough (in charlotte), or not paying coaches enough (Silas), you'll have plenty of fuel, because no team will make some people happy unless they can complain.

Basketball Guru Contributor
    That's right, Say-What...I thought, after hiring Floyd, that the owners of the Hornets were wayyy to cheap for any of this to be true. What's happening here? Could they actually care enough to spend a little money (or a lot of money)? Could they actually be thrilled to have PJ back and willing to spend that kind of money in NO? Hmmmm, the answer is a resounding yes, IMO. The Hornets actually can, will, and are surviving and making good money in New Orleans. It's unbelievable isn't it (sarcasm)?!

I really like PJ and wanted him back. However, that is way too much IMO. He now is our 2nd highest paid player (ahead of Mashburn). Hopefully, it will not affect our ability to secure Magloire next season. I think the Spurs' interest and the complete lack of quality PFs available (and our move to the West the season after next) put us in a precarious position. Hopefully he earns every penny.

PJ signs

I read the news in the Times Picayune this AM and had to come by and say I am thrilled! Love you PJ! I can't get upset about the money because to tell you the truth even with 20 years of education the salary system in the NBA is beyond my comprehension. LOL! Glad to have you back PJ!

As far as the size of the contract, yes I do think we overpaid, but that was a function of the market. PJ had us in a bidding war with the Spurs and both teams really wanted him. So we paid a bit more for PJ than I would have preferred, I wouldn't have been upset had we lost him, but I'm not disappointed he's back. He will definitely be an asset to the team next year, beyond that was where my concerns began - but maybe that's not much of a concern if the NBA Champion Spurs were gunning hard for PJ and willing to commit to 5 years.

Anyway, glad to have PJ back for 4 more years.

I'm happy about it, but if PJ got too much money who was gonna take his place??? Who's good and left???

Granted it's a good thing we finally signed a FA of our own.... but are they really giving him $40mil over 4 years? I would've thought it would be in the mid $20mil range. Or maybe lesser than 4 years. Oh well, as long as he performs well, that's all that matters.

Draft Pick
    I didn't think he earned the 7 million he made last season and now we give him 10 million a year?? I had a feeling we would overpay which is why part of me wanted him to walk. We could have went after Brand with that or waited a year for the likes of Brand(he will be a UFA), Bryant, KG, ect. P.J. is a solid player and he will play hard and help a team win but this blows. No way he is worth that much. And then the contract is for 4 years.

Ester aka Ms-Freek-A-Leek STHornet's Avatar
    Brown contract: 4yr 34 mil

Thread here: http://pelicansreport.com/vBulletin/...threadid=12347
    Trade Mags & Rodgers for Lamar Odom

Count me with those who are suprised -- pleasantly suprised -- that the owners went so far to get PJ back. I think they overpaid a little, but I think you will see teams overpaying for most of the remaining FA's. With big money players either staying with their original teams or taking less than market value deals, the teams saving up cap space for this offseason will have to overpay for the remaining players. Just watch Miller and Arenas get near max type deals. (The Hornets mistake was letting PJ become a FA in the first place. It would have been cheaper to sign him during the season.)

Now I want the folks who spent the past months complaining about how cheap the owners are, how they don't really want to win, to admit the franchise has turned the corner. Admit it, who thought Bass' mantra about signing PJ being the first priority was a code for, "we'd like to sign him if he'd come back for cheap, but we're prepared to be outbid." I had my doubts, but I'm a believer now. They may not spend wisely, but now at least they are spending.

Now, will they spend any more money for some shooting off the bench? I love Moiso's potential, but more shooting off the bench at 1,2, oe 3 spots may be more valuable now that we have west? I wouldn't be suprised to see them get moiso and another player.

5O4Hornet
    I said it all along, if P.J. Brown doesn't become a laker, then, he'll most likely be a hornet and if Karl Malone doesn't become a hornet, then, he'll become a laker. I knew what I was talking about. You know this man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If its 4 for 34, not 4 for 40, then they barely overpaid. Which, by comparison with the other deals you'll be seeing over the next week, will look pretty good.

Re: I should be used to it...

Originally posted by Mythron
    I have been reading nothing but how upset people would be if the hornets lost PJ. Now that he's signed people are upset that he's making money.

Now....let's go over this. If you don't like the owners, no matter what they do you will complain. If you're just a complainer, no matter what happens you'll complain.

If you follow sports/basketball at all....you know you need guys like PJ to fight in the trenches. He was receiving plenty of attention from others so the Hornets had to pay well for his services. All the other options we had (Brand, etc..) are not definites (teams can match offers). I believe that the ownership did what they had to do to ensure we had a good PF for not only this year, but to be under contract when we make the transition to the West.

Is 10 million a lot to pay for someone a year? Yes.
    So if you want to bash the owners for paying a lot for players (PJ), or not paying players enough (in charlotte), or not paying coaches enough (Silas), you'll have plenty of fuel, because no team will make some people happy unless they can complain.
    Thanks for saving me the time of typing my thoughts....exactly!!!!! Those complainers, eerily sound like women, who can never be satisfied. Are they fans or business managers? I am totally happy PJ resigned, you can't put a price on chemistry.

Re: Re: I should be used to it...

Originally posted by Shrimpnose

I am totally happy PJ resigned, you can't put a price on chemistry.
    Apparently, you can. And it's $10 million per year.

And what's up with you and Mythron generalizing the posters here? In case you didn't notice, the majority here is HAPPY with the management's move. And in case you didnt notice, people are allowed to have OPINIONS. This means that not everyone will always agree with you. I know it's hard to believe, but deal with it.

That said, I like PJ. I'm glad he's back. He'll be able to teach Moiso and West enough to where once he leaves, we'll still have 2 of the top PFs. I do think he was overpaid a little, but I guess we had to do that to keep him away from the Spurs.

Originally posted by jeeves
    Looks like Shinn has turned from cheap to stupid. PJ isnt worth 10 million a year now and there is no way he will be in 3 or 4 years from now. Looks like the hornets will me a mediocre side for the next few years, just like we have been for a while. Im not sayin that PJ is useless, but he isnt worth that kind of money and it ruins any chances of signing a decent FA in the future.
    The Hornets weren't gonna get under the cap significantly anyways in the next 4 years so they figured that they needed to take care of PJ as opposed to losing him altogether. Remember, his contract comes off the books in 4 years just when Mash does. That will be just in time to make a big run at free agents again. Until then, Baron, Big Cat, PJ, Mash and Wesley should make for a pretty good team. No need for big free agent signings anyways.

I'm not as shucked as I was last night, especially knowing his salary is not totally $40 million. Averaging 8.5 a year is not that bad.

Do we have enough for someone like Piatowski now that PJ is going to re-sign?

Originally posted by say-what
    Wait, weren't we told by certain people that certain team owners were too cheap to offer enough money to keep their key players?

Guess this proves them wrong.

GO HORNETS - BEAT L.A.
    NEW ORLEANS HORNETS - 2003-04 NBA CHAMPIONS
    Exactly. Shinn can do no right in the minds of many. First it's that he's too cheap and now they complain about him spending too much? I wish that one of these national writers would write a story about how he maxed out BD and gave PJ $10 million as a result of the New Orleans revenue stream. I won't hold my breath.

Originally posted by TheBigEasy
    So .. this is official now? They give him 40 Million over the next 4 Years? Jeez ... little much isnt it? I am glad he is back, cause i think there would be no acceptable replacement, but 40 Million sounds way too much for me. Anyway, do we now have enough money to resign Moiso and a backup PG?
    I think so. The Hornets can split the 4.8 MLE on Moiso and a backup PG. Since good backup PG's come relatively cheap, they can probably get someone like Best or Armstrong for 2 million and the remaining 2.8 can go to Moiso. It's not the end of the world if he bolts though. They have West and Traylor waiting in the wings behind PJ and can always spend the minimum on a backup C like Willis.

Originally posted by Grandadmiral
    Do we have enough for someone like Piatowski now that PJ is going to re-sign?
    Not if they want to keep JMO. They could let JMo walk and then split the MLE between Pike and a backup PG. Pike is worth a lot though so I would give him something in the 3 to 3.5 range and use the remaining 1.3 to 1.8 on a backup PG.

Basketball Guru Contributor
    I hope we can re-sign Moiso. I'm sure the Hornets have a plan and had all of this stuff in mind if they want Moiso back. But, we'll be fine without Moiso---I'd just like to see him return.

Thread Information