Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: David West

Ester aka Ms-Freek-A-Leek STHornet's Avatar

David West

We pick David West!
    Trade Mags & Rodgers for Lamar Odom

good pick
    I'm not a player I just, well you know the rest....

momentary lapse of re-brand NYKF Hornet's Avatar
    Yeah, they are talking highly of him.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    sounds like a good selection... AP player of the year, did i hear that correctly?

I liked the clips they showed of him

MVF (Most Valuable Fan)
    Sounds like another Moiso.

PJ or no PJ, we needed more inside players and this kid fits the bill. I also liked Cook, but he is more of a perimeter player. This was a "safe" pick, but I think it will work out for us.
    the Legend has spoken!

Hall of Famer
    here we go:
    Strengths: Super rebounder who is blessed with great instincts to get rebounds out of his position ... Has excellent court vision for a power forward ... Possesses soft hands allowing him to catch most passes thrown to him in the post ... Runs the floor well enough to be a weapon on fast breaks ... Does a good job of recognizing double teams before they occur ... Keeps the ball up high after receiving it in the low post ... Owns soft touch around the basket as he can convert off the glass or spin in the lane with the short jump hook ... Has an assortment of back to the basket moves, from pump fakes to the short turnaround jumper ... Has range on his jumper out to 18 feet ... Owns a tremendous work ethic which shows in the development of his game over the past few years ... Great passer from the low post as West usually can hit the cutting player or set-up shooter ... Due to his highly competitive nature, he never plays timid of shies away from contact ... Shows the ability to play through pain, a tribute to his toughness and competitive spirit ... Owns quick hands and long arms capable of prying away any passes thrown into the post ... Does a good job of drawing fouls for easy free throw opportunities ...

Weaknesses: West is undersized for the NBA power forward position ... While he has range on his jumpshot he has struggled to make it with consistency ... Lacks fluidity, sometimes looks mechanical and stiff with his movements in the low post ... Seems to like taking defenders off the dribble when he is facing the basket, but must improve upon it ... Body frame is in need of added bulk and strength ... Ball handling remains questionable if he is to play small forward ... Despite his college numbers, he will not be much of a shot blocker in the NBA due to his lack of size/athleticism ... Doesn't have consistent range from behind the 3-point line ... Defensively his lateral quickness could make him a liability against athletic forwards ... There have been some that have questioned his maturity level, but to his credit he has played with more poise ... Due to his aggressive nature he has a tendency to pick up quick fouls on defense ...

With this pick it looks like the Hornets are not going to give PJ the contract that he deserves. PJ will prosper with another team. Best of luck to you PJ .

Vitale says he thinks PJ is going to the Cavs, and that West was drafted as a replacement for PJ. We might have some trade options, but I think the Brand trade will not happen.

MVF (Most Valuable Fan)
    Originally posted by davidhornet
    With this pick it looks like the Hornets are not going to give PJ the contract that he deserves. PJ will prosper with another team. Best of luck to you PJ .

This could also mean no PF FA. Did I see this right, hes 6'9. We are moving to the western conference, their are guards almost his height.

Hall of Famer
    Hmmm... So we WERE known for being the only East team with size... Now were letting it get away...
    We NEED size for the West....
    I was hoping we'd get either PG or SF for to backup BD and Mash, Jarvis Hayes would have been GREAT to get for the future also...

Banned
    Yeah, I had the Hornets grabbing either West or Cook, so it's turned out well!

Finally, a decision NOT made by the Hornets' marketing department....

MVF (Most Valuable Fan)
    Originally posted by NYKF Hornet
    Vitale says he thinks PJ is going to the Cavs, and that West was drafted as a replacement for PJ. We might have some trade options, but I think the Brand trade will not happen.

I cant see that happening. I think he will either stay here for less money or go to a centender, cleveland is a joke.

Yeah he is a light 6'9". He looks to be a solid pick, so it is hard to complain. But when you think of losing PJ and not replacing him with an upgrade or equal talent . . . it makes you wonder.

I believed Bass when he said they really wanted PJ back. It's still not done that he's gone. They said they were going to take the highest ranked player on their board...if West was that guy, then it is no indication of their intentions with PJ. I hope.

How much weight will West be able to put on?
    We had quite a few interesting conversations as we pondered and navigated the nightly canopy.

Management probably thinks that New Orleans natives will think West is from Xavier of New Orleans.

"Management probably thinks that New Orleans natives will think West is from Xavier of New Orleans."

LOL, I'm just glad were not lucky enough to land that LSU guy the T-P has been banging the drums for.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    i don't know....cook seems like the same-type player, only bigger. but the truth is i know very little about either, so i hope it was a good pick.

we all know the main ingredients are already on our team..

any word from that draft party?

Responses? Cheers? Anything?

Banned
    Originally posted by Trueblood
    Management probably thinks that New Orleans natives will think West is from Xavier of New Orleans.
    D'OH! SOMEone was bound to say that....

Still don't think this automatically means PJ's leaving the Hornets, though. But whether it's Peej or another upper-tier PF (Brand, I wish, but likely not) we NEED someone who can step in and start NOW. Moiso's just not ready for that starting role quite yet.

Although I would have preferred picking Cook, West is a good pickup. We definitely need to keep PJ or JMo now. West will be coming off the bench IMO to rest one or the other.

I would like to see West off the bench, that will be the best way he can help us. MO is not a starting PF, but if we are really changing our style of play to a more uptempo game . . . we don't need big bodies, just runners and shooters. Maybe they plan on making the PF position a cutter position, and hope Mags can handle the rebounds.

Hall of Famer
    In about 3-4 years, LSU will produce a top 5 pick...

Originally posted by NYKF Hornet
    "Management probably thinks that New Orleans natives will think West is from Xavier of New Orleans."

LOL, I'm just glad were not lucky enough to land that LSU guy the T-P has been banging the drums for.
    If the Hornets would have selected Dupree, Bob Bass and I would have had to have a looooonnnngggg sit down about player evaluation.

LOL.

I would have liked to sit in on that meeting.

Thread Information