The OFFICIAL - Post your most memorable memories of the 2002-2003 Hornets Season
With the season over, I thought it might be a good idea to post some of your most memorable positive memories of the past season.
I'll start with 10 (you don't have to have 10 or limit it to 10, I'm just doing my top 10)
10. Hornets 1st game - it seems strange that the NBA's return to New Orleans after 23 years would be my 10th entry, but it was. Playing and beating the Utah Jazz was a nice way to provide closure (beating them again on 12/12 helped also) but it wasn't the most memorable event of the season. A nice start and a great memory, just not my top.
9. DW's put back to beat Philly on 10/18. Sure it was early in the season and we had only lost 2 games at that time, but that game was about as exciting as they came. Close, hard fought and a thrilling ending.
8. Sweeping the MJ Wizards in the NoRena. Sure MJ wasn't the same superstar that played in Chicago, but beating him twice on our own court was memorable.
7. Mash is selected to the All Star team. Sure he wasn't voted in, but he was still chosen to the team and became the first New Orleans Hornet All Star.
6. PJ scores the Hornets first regular season points and Tractor scores the last. What a way to start and end the regular season. A local favorite scores our first 2 points with a little foul line jumper and fan favorite Tractor Traylor closes out the season with an unexpected 3-pointer.
5. Hornets 8 game winning streak after the All Star break. It was during this stretch that the team began to come together and play up to their expectations, ignoring the distractions and just winning games. Sure they would lose some more games down the stretch, but this 8 game stretch through late February and into early March is probably what propelled them into the playoffs.
4. Mash scores 50 and the game winner to beat the Griz in overtime on 2/21. What a game. Sure the Griz are not a great team, but they did become competitive during the season. This was a great back and forth shoot out of a game that left me exhausted just listening to the radio feed over the net in Cleveland.
3. Mash beats Detroit on a last second shot. Well, he might not have scored 50, but Mash again won a game on the last shot. In the second of back-to-back games, Mash gets the ball and puts it in for the win.
2. Hornets close the season with a 5 game winning streak. This streak was meant to send a message, and it did. Three of the 5 teams were playoff teams and the Hornets record against playoff bound teams was horrid. These games were won decisively and sent us into the playoffs on a positive note.
1. Hornets make the playoffs. I know this may sound strange, since the playoffs didn't exactly go as planned, much less hoped, but New Orleans hasn't exactly had the fortune of experiencing much post season play. Sure the series against Philly ended with Philly winning in 6, but it was an exciting experience and the arena rocked like it never had during the season. There were so many unknowns, but the playoffs cemented New Orleans' relationship with the Hornets. It may hurt to know that our playoff run ended so early, but we only have bigger and better games to look forward to in upcoming seasons. Making the playoffs gave New Orleans the opportunity to show the rest of the NBA that we succeeeded as a city in supporting the Hornets.
That's my list, what's yours?